KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Use this area as your personal project pages or blog! Each thread belongs to one user as a project page!
Sorry, I'm still stuck on the Cobra thing... 8-)

nightmareplt_zps33800d79b.jpg
Not a bad idea! I might use that on project racing red cobra. No room on the front but it would look good with a custom plate on the back :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Attachments
015.jpg
013.jpg
Ok, long time no update so here is the latest. I have been chasing down gremlins related to the drive/nos solenoids, the original solenoids where supposedly continuous duty for winch applications, but seem to have not been the right type as the coil drivers are labeled "S" and "I" and when the vehicle key ignition was on, with no pedal input the solenoid got so hot it burned up, big problem, thought it was because they were polarity specific so I ordered another one, swapped + and - with the same problem. Gave up on trying to figure them out and ordered two new golf cart contactors and swapped them out. Turned the key on, pressed the pedal for a few seconds and smoke started spewing out from under the dash!! turned it off and pulled the dash to find the ignition key acc. wire melted. This did not happen before swapping out solenoids? I assumed that there was too high of an amp draw with the new solenoid coils so I installed a dedicated relay so the only power draw from the ignition key is to close the acc. relay. Finally got in the new 3 position key ignition and swapped that out, relay clicks but no power to acc, volt meter or solenoids? WTF ? check voltage to terminal block, 12.9 volts, (this is the type of terminal block that has internal bridging by means of small gauge wire soldered to each terminal tab). Pulled it apart, melted conductor? must be related to the over amp draw, right? swapped the terminal out for the old stand by radio shack strip that needs the metal plate to bridge the tabs. Fired it up, in drive mode wheels only spin about half speed? wire going to for/reverse are melting hot! Standing in front of the car scratching my head I happen to notice that the negative motor wire lug connector is just barely touching the case of the metal solenoid!(set up as case positive) a direct short! moved wire away from solenoid and now she runs like a raped ape on the bench again!! Duh, need to install a fuse on the acc. circuit.

Finally, ready for a test hit once the last of the snow clears off the drag strip. Even with a stomach virus I was in a great mood today :D :D

Had to install front end struts to brace the crossmember due to when the disc brakes are pulled the front end wants to fold under itself.

Got the custom "NiteMare" licenseplate from Battman and am super impressed with the design and quality. I have 3 other custom plates for projects too!!
Attachments
018.jpg
new solenoid setup
019.jpg
do not use this type of solenoid for your builds!! seems to be for a starter with intermittent use! $45 mistake!!
020.jpg
front crossmember supports
017.jpg
drag strip is almost visible!!getting the bleach ready for burnouts!!
005.jpg
custom plates from Battman are awesome
Last edited by jonesee on Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
daveweber34 wrote:Oh, I bet you are just I T C H I N G to get out there and run that pony car!

that is an understatement!

Really just ready for temps above the 20's at this point. I want to get this thing tested out so I can paint it!

I am looking into this paint for hydrographics, it is supposed to be the bomb for adhesion. http://www.ohwpaint.com/shop/4580530612/OHW-AEROSOL/7368576 . I need to call him to confirm that powerwheels would be an appropriate application.
Standing in front of the car scratching my head I happen to notice that the negative motor wire lug connector is just barely touching the case of the metal solenoid!(set up as case positive) a direct short! moved wire away from solenoid and now she runs like a raped ape on the bench again!!

:o :!: :o :!: :o

You had me sweating the whole way through. I thought I was going to have to resign from the forums! :cry:
By jonesee
Well, it finally got up to 50 degrees all the snow melted away. We had some time to load up the mustang on the trailer and make a test hit at the park. I have been super nervous about my sons safety in this beast I have created. Long story short is my son did an excellent job driving and has the hand disk brake thing down pretty good. It is no rocket off the line but it is pretty heavy and IS ONLY 12 VOLTS so we might look into going 24 volts and changing the gearing for more off the line pull, as my main goal was to make a wheelie machine!!

I am having issues in normal driving mode so I will need to hook it up to the laptop and check the settings in the controller (acting like it is in low voltage cutoff) to see what I have the minimum voltage set at.

Thanks again to Toycrusher with the NOS wiring help we were able to flip the switch to race mode and took a quick video to document the proof of its first ever cruise with the winch motor and live axle.

I forgot to install the keeper clips in the wheelie bar quick release pins and the wheelie bar pins kept falling out causing the bars to drag on the pavement. The other issue we had at the old parking lot is tons of tiny stones being flung all over due to the lack of rear wheel wells and the giant slicks being pretty sticky.

I will follow up with better video with walk around and get my son to pull the parachute lever to see if it actually catches air.

Note Grandpa at the other end of the strip ready to catch a runaway pony. This run was limited to 50 feet of throttle and the rest was coasting.
Last edited by jonesee on Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Awesome to see it in action! So that run was nos mode? With the amount of torque that motor makes maybe you should try one to one gearing! :D
Suspense is killing us! Did you get ESC mode working properly? Did the parachute inflate??? :?: :?: :?: :D
By jonesee
toycrusher wrote:Suspense is killing us! Did you get ESC mode working properly? Did the parachute inflate??? :?: :?: :?: :D

sorry to keep you dangling!! As for an update there has been a lot of contemplation and after much thought I am going to up the voltage to 24 now since when under load the motor draws so much juice that it puts the esc in low voltage protection and it only limps along. I have the esc LVP set at the minimum in the user control panel, so the only option is to up the voltage, thought about 18 volts but am going to try 24 volts. looks like it should do wheelies with double the juice! :o

I just received the 24 to 12 volt converter from Chinahttp://www.ebay.com/itm/290962893335?_trksid=p2055120.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT in the mail, so I can keep the 5 12 volt coiled relays as they are without adding an acc. battery.

I am also changing the gearing, just ordered a 12 tooth pinion from BMI karts and I already have the larger axle sprocket, still need to calculate top speed with new ratio's

I just sourced an aftershock motor and will be hacking a hole in the hood for the big ole scoop and plan to tie into the stock sound box 6 volt power to provide sound and the shaking of the motor effect.

I am also welding up zoomie headers out of conduit elbows to further enhance the race car attitude.

We have not had a chance to test out the parachute deployment system due to multiple distractions with tee ball, weather, several renovation side jobs with a buddy (much needed to pay for these projects) tons of paying customer ride ons and repairs, and my two other rzrs are getting serious upgrades (rockin rzr is getting 2 x 1000 watt controllers, one for each currie metal gearbox and the silver bullet with be on 36 volts/800 watt controller with stock gearboxes) Updates to project threads will happen for these too.

The parking lot down the street is covered in diamond dust from the mess left where they dumped the piles of material and the sticky tires pick up tons of rocks that have filled up the undercarriage. We have scouted another drag strip at the local Harley Davidson dealer and will load nitemare on a trailer and make a test run on 24 volts before I tear it down for the matte black paint job.

Lots of work to do and will update as it happens.
I'l may get banned for life for suggesting this :o , but you're low voltage problem maybe a result of your batteries inability to supply the amperage. For testing purposes only, try an automotive cranking battery to see if that solves your problem.

Of course, if the SLA batteries turn out to be the problem, what will be the solution? :shock: :? :shock:
Last edited by toycrusher on Thu May 15, 2014 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By jonesee
toycrusher wrote:I'l may get banned for life for suggesting this :o , but you're low voltage problem maybe a result of your batteries inability to supply the amperage. For testing purposes only, try an automotive cranking battery to see if that solves your problem.

Of course, if the SLA batteries turn out to be the problem, what will be the solution? :shock: :? :shock:

shame on you :roll:

The Kelly controls esc has a pc interface. I can plug my laptop in and adjust tons of parameters. The problem with 12 volt power is that the range of selections is 12.0 volts and up. If I up the voltage I can select say 23.0 volts because it is not at the bottom of the esc's 12-36 volt software parameters. So I should be fine, I think :?: :?: :?:
That makes sense. All my SLA batteries I've tested immediately drop to about 8 or 9v when put on a 100 amp load tester. Even a strong auto battery can drop to 11.9v, even when new.

If you still have trouble at 24v, you will probably need a bank of 6v golf cart batteries. They are expensive but they are quite capable of supplying the amps you need
By jonesee
toycrusher wrote:That makes sense. All my SLA batteries I've tested immediately drop to about 8 or 9v when put on a 100 amp load tester. Even a strong auto battery can drop to 11.9v, even when new.

If you still have trouble at 24v, you will probably need a bank of 6v golf cart batteries. They are expensive but they are quite capable of supplying the amps you need

thanks! I will start looking into the golf cart batteries as I always like to have a plan b. Hope to get the stang back on the bench soon!
By jonesee
finally got some time to play at the park to see if this parachute idea would work. I could not figure out how to merge all the videos into one so here are the separate clips of some of the test runs. One thing I know for sure is that a solid live axle does not like to turn in a narrow parking lot :x once I make the jump to 24 volts we will head to a larger lot for my boy to play around in. I am happy to share that going down to a 12 tooth motor pinion and up to a 84 tooth axle sprocket nitemare will still be at 19 mph on 24 volts but should have tons more holeshot torque. The kart gear calculator I used was spot on as I used the gps app on my phone and he maxed the stang out at 19 mph :mrgreen: :mrgreen: .We made at least 20 passes up and down the strip but that is about all the 36ah battery was willing to do. When I plugged it into the 3 amp Shumacher it read 49%. So when we go up to 24 volts and down to 18ah I cannot expect a ton of run time but it is a race car, afterall!

Attachments
IMG_20140517_185929_547.jpg
IMG_20140517_185930_834.jpg
Last edited by jonesee on Sat May 17, 2014 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Looking great. I love your daughter in the one video as the engine sounds are going.... "He's trying to get those peoples attention. He's trying to be a show off!" :lol:
By jonesee
Its official! "Nitemare" is now 24 volts :o :o

I have been busy with work and not really excited to try and figure out how to take a totally 12 volt system with so many gizmos and 4 12 volt coiled solenoids to work without making something go POOF! so it has been left at 12 volts until now.

Yesterday I trimmed the parachute foam space from 4" down to 2" thick because there was too much pressure on the release mechanism to allow the flaps to open. We drove it down to the parking lot and my son was doing his thing making pass after pass with a grin so big I thought he was going to eat himself. I finally asked him to test out the chute and it now works like a charm. He asked me to take some video of him racing (Yes he loves to show off) so after a few videos I started taking pics and motioned for him to drive next to me so I could get a close up angle. Well the driveway to the lot has a huge low spot at the edge that creates a jump! :shock: :shock: . Yes, instead of zooming close to me he kept on the edge of the lot and hit that jump and went air born at full speed! :o :o He landed HARD and hit the hand brake. I instantly heard the metal dragging on the ground noise that you do not want to hear! I thought he for sure broke something but when he came down the heavy motor must have tweaked the mount and it threw the chain. I pushed him back home and instead of just popping the chain back on I ripped out the old axle sprocket and changed the two gruber 12 volt 18ah batteries from parallel to series. With the now double juice I had to change the main contactor to 24 volts and install a 24 to 12 voltage reducer http://www.ebay.com/itm/290962893335?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT cheaper, lighter and do not have to charge an accessory battery.

I wired up the key to 24 volts that feeds the relay and voltage reducer when you turn on the 2 position key switch (removed the 3 position key as it was confusing to my boy that only the accessories came on with one turn and had to go another click to activate the solenoids) I crossed my fingers and turned on the key looking for anything smoking :o Everything works perfect and the motor is now turning 4000 rpms and the 84 tooth sprocket was lock tited in. I popped off the 15 tooth pinion and went to install the 10 tooth gear and that is when I realized it is the wrong type, it has the keyway machined into the gear. Funny enough as I am typing this I look on my desk and see the correct 12 tooth gear sitting next to me? Well now that I have the correct one I have some more work to do. :P

I also have some super cool zoomie headers I have been working on and also picked up the holy grail of add on bling, a aftershock motor :o :shock: :o It is kind of rough and I had to use glazing putty to patch some scratches. It appears that the scoop was attacked by a dog and there are a few teeth marks that I just could not leave alone. Busy weekend and out of town for a few days but I hope to get an updated 24 volt racing video up soon
Attachments
IMG_20140613_172739_789.jpg
big change in gear ratio, should be able to pull a wheelie now?!?!?
IMG_20140613_172748_868.jpg
axle ready for the big ole 84 tooth sprocket
IMG_20140613_172756_742.jpg
added a 24 to 12 volt step down converter
Last edited by jonesee on Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By jonesee
my phone was messing up (thinking I have a virus?) and would not rotate the screen so the video of the parachute test is sideways and I cannot figure out how to rotate a video? any suggestions?
The adventure continues... :shock: :? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: 8-)
By jonesee
got a driveway test in on 24 volts :mrgreen: this thing is a beast now! the new gearing and 24 volts makes this thing really fast off the line. Now to get it out to a large chunk of tarmack with a bottle of bleach :o :shock: :o :shock:

Bleach??? :? :? :?

I'm thinking more along the lines of VHT with more slack in the wheelie bar for some Byron type wheels-up action :P :twisted: :twisted: :P :lol: :lol: :roll:

Seriously though, was he using the "NOS" mode there or the ESC?
Last edited by toycrusher on Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
By jonesee
that was nos mode, drive mode was still having issues with acting like it is in LVC so I contacted Kelly controls support and went over my wiring setup. Evidently I do not need to wire in the micro switch and reverse switch to the negative pins of the F & R solenoid coils. I just removed them but have not had a chance to see if it fixed the low power under load issue. The funny thing is that with the wheels off the ground it will ramp up max rpms (as seen in previous videos I posted) I also have another update that I am excited to reveal but you will have to wait till JULY 4th (yes, that is a clue!!)
By jonesee
toycrusher wrote:Bleach??? :? :? :?

I'm thinking more along the lines of VHT with more slack in the wheelie bar for some Byron type wheels-up action :P :twisted: :twisted: :P :lol: :lol: :roll:

Seriously though, was he using the "NOS" mode there or the ESC?

I was kidding about the bleach :lol: :lol: Not really wanting to watch the expensive kart tires go up in smoke! literally :lol: :lol: We do need to get to a big ole parking lot and see what she will do though, as the lot down the street is too narrow for turn arounds and is also too short to allow safe shut down room. My son has a location all picked out and talks about it every time we drive by. It is the local Harley Davidson dealership and they do motorcycle certification training in their huge lot so it is smooth, clean and most importantly, big!
By jonesee
Ok, got time to do a real test hit on 24 volts, so we loaded up nitemare and a stock 12 volt mustang for some heads up action. Drove down to the harley davidson dealership, got around the corner and what do you know, they have the entire parking lot blocked off for a demo of their new electric motorcycle. The boys wanted to watch but I was on a mission (plus nothing was going on, just had a bunch of bikes lined up with not a soul around). Drove around until we found a vacant lot that was ok, but had lots of cracks, as you will see in this video. I had full intention of waiting to post this till the 4th of July to introduce the new improved parachute.

The results were amazing, other than my lack of skill with a borrowed gopro :oops: most of my attempts at video were accidentally :oops: screwed up due to being in picture mode not video mode, oops and the rear wing rattling like crazy due to the cleco fasteners pulling up during transport.

I salvaged the couple of vids and tried editing, hope you enjoy

This stang is finally going to be torn down for paint and lights, NOW that I know it will not be a big fat waste of time and money :D :D :D
I might even try out a 10 tooth pinion instead of the 12 tooth to help with holeshots and drop the speed from the gps verified 22 mph (yes that video never got recorded) :oops:
You do realize that the biggest problem you now face is trying to figure out how to top this right??? :lol: :lol: :lol:
By jonesee
toycrusher wrote:You do realize that the biggest problem you now face is trying to figure out how to top this right??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

funny you say that because just yesterday I was talking to my buddy about the next step up is going brushless and a 300 amp controller http://kellycontroller.com/mars-0907etek-comparable-pmsmbldc-motor-p-29.html.

The elusive wheelie is driving me nuts.
By jonesee
Here we go again! I have been on the fence about adding this latest gadget at the risk of crossing the threshold into the gaudy category. During tear down I starting thinking about the aftershock motor on the shelf and if I should add it or not. Well, the pics and video speak for themselves. Atleast I did get three flips fixed and ready for CL before I spent the rest of the day playing with a plastic motor :lol: :lol:

I also got the rear deck lid painted so I could install the pop rivets ( I recall concern/question on why I did not use shorter rivets :roll: ) cleco clips are removed and pop rivets now hold the giant rear wing to the deck lid.

Attachments
IMG_20140705_201701_072.jpg
hole looks huge but due to the tall scoop it needs room to clear the scoop.
IMG_20140705_201629_368.jpg
IMG_20140705_201622_755.jpg
I like how it covers up the terminal strips and voltage reduction box! bonus!!
IMG_20140705_203227_431.jpg
rear wing minus giant spikes!!
PRO-MOD BABY! 8-) :twisted:
By jonesee
toycrusher wrote:PRO-MOD BABY! 8-) :twisted:

LIKE!!
You just about nailed it!

JMH_TerryLeggett_350.jpg
JMH_TerryLeggett_350.jpg (31.38 KiB) Viewed 3274 times

Though it appears you aren't done yet... Something missing... :twisted:

JMH_TerryLeggett_350b.jpg
JMH_TerryLeggett_350b.jpg (18.02 KiB) Viewed 3274 times
Last edited by toycrusher on Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
By jonesee
toycrusher wrote:You just about nailed it!

The attachment JMH_TerryLeggett_350.jpg is no longer available

Though it appears you aren't done yet... Something missing... :twisted:

The attachment JMH_TerryLeggett_350.jpg is no longer available

OH, they are not missing, just not happy with the look of what I have built. Thinking of going with only 3 tubes instead of 4 (just like the aftershock is only a V6) I also plan on bending and welding up some emt conduit and see how that looks too.
Attachments
003.jpg
Hey love the thread and the project!
Quick question, where did you find your 4.5hp motor?
Did you order it online or pick it up at a store, and if you did order it, do you happen to have a link?

Thanks,
Mike
Hey love the thread and the project!
Did you order it online or pick it up at a store, and if you did order it, do you happen to have a link?

Thanks,
Mike
By jonesee
Hardesty404 wrote:Hey love the thread and the project!

Thanks,
Mike

here is where I got mine http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-WINCH-MOTOR-for-RAMSEY-12-Volt-MBJ4202-MBJ4204-4-5HP-5687-/271178342693?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f237d2125&vxp=mtr.

Please note that this is not a standard PM motor! I am not sure what you call it but I call it a 3 post winch motor. Not sure if it is a series motor or what. Maybe someone can chime in. To be honest is as been a pain because you will need to add mechanical brakes because I could not figure out how to get electro braking due to the 3 poles.
By jonesee
Speed Assault wrote:LOL Wow , very cool Stang and love the Cobra!!

Great looking work and fun to share with son, I'm sure.

How do you like the winch motor? and how did you decide on that?

Nice fabrication!

thanks!

The winch motor is ok, as I have already mentioned it is not really ideal as there is no electro braking so you will need some type of mechanical brakes.

My main reason for trying this motor is it has a 3/4" shaft so it mates with all racing kart #35 pinion and axle sprockets, the second factor was it was under a hundred bucks! Ideally I would have used this motor http://kellycontroller.com/mars-0708etek-comparable-brush-type-pm-dc-motor-p-38.html but @ probably $600 with shipping it was not a reasonable option.
By jonesee
I am pretty happy with the new and improved emt design, much smaller diameter and thinner sidewall made a huge difference. Mounting will be easy with a long bolt and fender washer to cinch the pipes against the undercarriage.

Now the next hurdle, do I paint them matte black or silver? what say you?? I was leaning towards black, but think it might get lost in the matte black of the body color. So now I am thinking silver. Also thinking about adding a smoke/fog maker to the exhaust system. Something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/RC-Model-Boat-Smoke-Generator-12-Volt-with-Fluid-/121251694491?pt=AU_Toys_Hobbies_Radio_Controlled_Vehicles&hash=item1c3b2a079b

I know...., the car is not torn down for for paint yet (the hood is scuffed and dings prepped with glazing putty though!

my son has turned this into his daily cruiser now that it works correctly in foot throttle mode. People pull over and watch him zoom across the parks parking lot, yes he loves the attention!! ;)
Attachments
007.jpg
006.jpg
009.jpg
008.jpg
How did you finally get the ESC mode working?
By jonesee
toycrusher wrote:How did you finally get the ESC mode working?

I removed the controller micro switches from the solenoids. For some reason I was thinking that the controller needed them to know which direction the motor was turning. Kelly support member said they are not needed unless you are using a hall effect brake pedal in the setup. Removed them and now has full power under load instead of acting like it was in LVC "limp" mode!! again wiring theory and reading schematics is not my thing,lol !! I am more of the creative idea type of guy ;)
cool header pipes,
I understand the delima on color, Silver is good though.
that is some serious braking power , very nice.
I am thinking the same for my project. Can you advise, or did I miss the brake write up?

So you have the para shoot - very cool, the long wing, header pipes, sound and smoke effect!
Can I make a suggestion for your launch effect?
build a spring loaded release or Servo that rotates a wheel to raise the front of the car or that hits the ground thus pushing the front of the car upward upon launch start!!
Last edited by Speed Assault on Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By jonesee
macwest wrote:Could you please show a photo of the under side of how exactly you attached the pipes? Thanks!

here you go. pretty basic! a 1/4x20 bolt and a fender washer on the bottom to sandwich it all together. Hope it helps.

other updates too...
Attachments
119.jpg
117.jpg
tied into the stock soundbox 4.5 volt power for the aftershock motor
118.jpg
now I recall why I have really been putting off tearing this thing down for paint. Looks like more wires that the space shuttle! good time to break out the label maker!!
By jonesee
Speed Assault wrote:cool header pipes,
I understand the delima on color, Silver is good though.
that is some serious braking power , very nice.
I am thinking the same for my project. Can you advise, or did I miss the brake write up?

So you have the para shoot - very cool, the long wing, header pipes, sound and smoke effect!
Can I make a suggestion for your launch effect?
build a spring loaded release or Servo that rotates a wheel to raise the front of the car or that hits the ground thus pushing the front of the car upward upon launch start!!

I thought I had pics of the donor scooter but anyways, it was an Eco Fab adult sized scooter that I stripped of the disk brakes.

Interesting concept on the wheelie launcher. I am more interested in the real thing but will keep it in mind! maybe a linear actuator? thanks for the idea :P
By jonesee
Its official! project nitemare has been totally broke down for paint :D it took several hours to fight thru the spagetti and create labels for all the wiring circuits. Not sure how many labels I printed but it took a whole roll of the print tape.
Attachments
122.jpg
124.jpg
By jonesee
sall wrote:Where can I find a volt meter similar ot that one? :) Awesome project!

not sure if it is the exact same but very similar to the one I used http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-52mm-CAR-Analog-LED-Digital-Colorful-Voltage-8-18v-Racing-Gauge-Volt-Meter-12V-/271343536467?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f2d55c953&vxp=mtr
John Deere Gator issue

My son was riding his gator and 2nd gear stopped w[…]

Can't access FAQ's

Yeah remember the old forums are in maintenance mo[…]

Pm sent for T6991-0320 I PM'd you back but got […]

Would love to upgrade on the volts but just lookin[…]

HobbyMasters