KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Use this area as your personal project pages or blog! Each thread belongs to one user as a project page!
cantdrivestock wrote:Did I mention, I'm excited to see Nite Mare's tow rig and trailer =)

got a start on the trailer but camping and boating seems to be consuming most of my life at this time. I bet you all feel soooo sorry for me :roll:

the weather forecast does not look good for nitemares first car show (calling for thundershowers) but last night on our cruise to the park we had 6 adults following along shooting video with their phones and a cop car pulls up and stops in the middle of the street and asks me "where did you get this thing" I was caught off guard and thought he was going to give us a ticket for driving down the street! He whips out his phone and asked if he could get some pictures of nitemare. In no time we had a crowd gathered around shooting off one question after another as I am having my son demo all the cool mods. I was so busy answering questions that I could not get a picture of the crowd and the cop car. This was the first official public appearance it was an overwhelming hit. I think I am onto something here!!
Attachments
117.jpg
116.jpg
tilt bed rampless trailer concept seems to work. now to build the front triangle and tongue.
118.jpg
111.jpg
would really like some input for what to do with the brushed aluminum side emblems where it used to have the GT badge. I was thinking 24 then silver "VOLT" below the badge. Please feel free to send suggestions cuz I am completely open.
A bit of a throwback

24V HP.jpg
24V HP.jpg (8.6 KiB) Viewed 5222 times

lrs-16228blk-b_8807.jpg
lrs-16228blk-b_8807.jpg (18.59 KiB) Viewed 5222 times
toycrusher wrote:A bit of a throwback

24V HP.jpg

lrs-16228blk-b_8807.jpg

I REALLY like that!!
MattyGNC wrote:Man you did a great job! This is the sickest power wheels Mustang I've seen. Keep up the awesome work bro

thank you very much

cantdrivestock wrote:You should see if they'll let you run it at a junior dragster event. Those people would be selling their lawn mower rails and throwing money at you.

I have been thinking about looking into that, just for fun. We are also looking into building an electric Jr. dragster if some funding fell out of the sky, lol.
Last edited by jonesee on Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
was FINALLY able to get a video uploaded to the tube.

Still have to get some running video with the gopro but have been soo busy with summer stuff that it will have to wait and on top of that my little racer is getting his tonsils out in the morning, so we will see how he feels. His first car show is the following day :cry: We will see how he feels.

Getting some good progress on the tow rig though :D .Decided on going with 24 volt peg motors,36 volt 1200 watt controller and golf cart 5 wire pedal. I will start a build thread on the blue raptor once I figure out a build name and get some more work done.

Well, we got our first car show under our belts! My son literally was getting his tonsils and adenoids out 24 hours ago but he was so pumped about being in a car show that he toughed it out for a few hours but we did have to load up and head home after 3 hours due to the surgery pain.

Once he feels up to it, we are hoping to get some good gopro footage...
Attachments
IMG_20140816_111711_025.jpg
loaded up and ready to hit the road for the walk the beat car show in Ferrysburg
IMG_20140816_114714_410.jpg
We went with 3 Ford entries
IMG_20140816_123243_633.jpg
NiteMare was getting more attention than most of the racecars!!
minor finish bling added before car show. Thanks again to Toycrusher for the emblem design idea. It does not look as sharp as his post, but its as close as I could come doing it myself :oops: added lots of racing sponsor stickers too
Attachments
022.jpg
021.jpg
023.jpg
Last edited by jonesee on Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Love the decals on the wing! I have a stack saved from when my money went into my own vehicles :x :lol: and I may have to do something similar one day :D

Next time you have a car show, let us know with plenty of time. That way all our mail-in ballots can get there in time to be counted... :lol: :lol: :roll: :D
here is a little sample of nitemare on our typical cruise around the neighborhood

My son is loving this thing and already wants to go faster :shock: I am well aware that this rig is BEYOND its limits already. Therefor I am starting the R&D of building an electric Jr. Dragster per IHRA and NHRA regulations. I have a year and a half before he is able to race as the age limit is 8. I have spend a lot of time on the phone even getting approval from the local track to run such a beast. I had to go as far as speaking direct to the IHRA director of operations. Even though it is in the rulebooks it is "Up to the track officials discretion" to allow anything other than the typical gas motor. I feel that it will be super competitive, as it will not be affected by air and temps. I hope I can continue to count on forum members input and expertise on going to the next step in our electric powered journey!

Here is what I am looking to build
When I grow up I wanna be just like Jonesee :lol: man you do a lot of great work and going beyond what a power wheels can handle! I wish I had just half your skill and knowledge. Nightmare looks like a smooth ride 8-)
Last edited by MattyGNC on Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I say if you can get nightmare on a drag strip just for the pics and video it would be awesome. Maybe even get it doing a burnout would be epic. I think you'd be a remote kill switch, Roll cage, and 4 or 5 point harness away from actually competing with it though. If you can get to one of the more laid back non competition drag strip you'd be able to get it on track.

Some of the jr. Dragsters can hit 8 5mph and are restricted to 7.70 in the 1/8mile!
MattyGNC wrote:When I grow up I wanna be just like Jonesee :lol: man you do a lot of great work and going beyond what a power wheels can handle! I wish I had just half your skill and knowledge. Nightmare looks like a smooth ride 8-)

Ha! thanks for the props!! I do believe I have pushed powerwheels to the limit!!

I have to say it is so nice not having to even worry about how long the drivetrain is going to last! more worried about the batteries being sucked dry now!!lol

This thing was never intended to be a daily driver but my son loves it so much. Even though he is a 35# runt I see how close his knees are to the dash and know that his days behind the plastic are coming to an end (maybe one more season) before we get into carting and jr dragster territory.
cantdrivestock wrote:I say if you can get nightmare on a drag strip just for the pics and video it would be awesome. Maybe even get it doing a burnout would be epic. I think you'd be a remote kill switch, Roll cage, and 4 or 5 point harness away from actually competing with it though. If you can get to one of the more laid back non competition drag strip you'd be able to get it on track.

Some of the jr. Dragsters can hit 8 5mph and are restricted to 7.70 in the 1/8mile!

by the previous conversations even getting them to OK a electric powered jr dragster to compete I don't think getting this plastic missile on a track is going to happen. Adding any safety items would be futile as I need to start budgeting for the real deal dragster chassis,motor (looking at the mars 1003) and a min. 400 amp controller! Batteries are the unknown for me right now. Need to make some calls to Colorado to get a quote for one of these

the teacher is kind of crazy but a joy to see his passion!!
Last edited by jonesee on Wed May 27, 2015 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
After watching your "cruise" video, the words of a tricycle riding kid in the movie The Incredibles comes to mind, "THAT WAS TOTALLY WICKED!!!" :lol: :lol: :lol:

What you need to do now, is remount the GoPro where you had it, add some of this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SP-162-Pj1-Track-Bite-Traction-Compound-1-Gallon-By-Sperex-Vht-/131152122040?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e894690b8&vxp=mtr

and FINALLY get a shot of the him hanging the front wheels in the air!!! :twisted: :lol:
I know it was a lot of work, but maybe you should take Nitemare in a different direction...

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPNmI6D2T2c#t=51[/video]

:roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Or you could keep it Ford powered :lol:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0HJjvyLj9E#t=73[/video]
Last edited by toycrusher on Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ummm no, that was two minutes of watching a guy trying to get a stinky, loud gas engine to just idle and it still dies when he lets off the throttle,lol.

I like my battery, esc and motor setups!!I would like to how much something like that costs. A nice jr dragster engine can cost 5K!dc ! I like my $750 D&D or mars motors
Last edited by jonesee on Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
I would like to how much something like that costs.

I had the same question. Entry is not bad, they start at just a tad over 8 GRAND! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Electric motors for me too!!! :lol:
Per request, Turbo TURBO mode :o :lol: :lol: :roll: :twisted:

Winch motor ESC-Turbo + boost jpg.jpg

It's simpler than I expected :? If you want to keep the red/green selector switch, just jump the two outputs together. You will need an SPDT relay, any amperage will work as it's not carrying any load. Otherwise your just adding a battery and moving some connections around :D
Last edited by toycrusher on Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
I guess I am missing where the turbo battery is? Or is one battery just not showing the two 12 volts in series? so am I not using the 4 solenoids and instead going with two solenoids and the reversing contactor now?
jonesee wrote:I guess I am missing where the turbo battery is? Or is one battery just not showing the two 12 volts in series? so am I not using the 4 solenoids and instead going with two solenoids and the reversing contactor now?

Crap, was this an old diagram I started with? :!: Let me see if I can figure out what the last version of the wiring diagrams you ended up with.
Ok, the diagram should be ok. Just ignore that it shows a contactor. You are leaving the fwd/reverse solenoids the way you have them. This is only replacing the "turbo" wiring that swaps the ground from the ESC to the battery direct. When I originally did the drawing you were only running 12v. Let me update it with your 24v batteries for the ESC.
toycrusher wrote:Ok, the diagram should be ok. Just ignore that it shows a contactor. You are leaving the fwd/reverse solenoids the way you have them. This is only replacing the "turbo" wiring that swaps the ground from the ESC to the battery direct. When I originally did the drawing you were only running 12v. Let me update it with your 24v batteries for the ESC.

here is the two diagrams I merged into one on paper and called it toycrusher 1.3!! Image

and the turbo Image
Diagram updated. The only changes occur on the "turbo" portion of the original diagrams :)

Power on, the ESC solenoid is energized. Unlock "turbo" mode by turning on the safety toggle. At will, press the turbo button and the ESC solenoid deactivates while the "turbo" solenoid energizes, providing a new path to ground for the motor, through a 3rd 12v battery making 36v.
Last edited by toycrusher on Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
WOW! that was fast!
thanks again for all your help and great diagrams :mrgreen:
Well, the latest update on Nitemare is that she has somehow turned into my sons daily driver? The other day we had some relatives over and we showed them all the cool features on the stang and somehow the key got left turned on. A couple days later my son went to drive it and there was no power. Due to the relocation of the 2x12volt 18ah batteries to the rear area behind the drivers side rear bumper void, access to the top battery connections is impossible without full disassembly of the wing, hatch, body, some wiring, battery hold down bracket, etc. Basically a total PITA to check voltage, let alone charge the batteries separately. I spent an hour in teardown and removed the batteries. Long story short is that the Gruber batteries are fine, it ended up being the 100 amp fuse plate loosened up (even with lock washers) not sure if it was cause by vibration or maybe heat? or both? I really do not want to install them behind the rear tire again, as it has not provided the ability to pull a wheelie and has degrading steering due to too much weight transfer and the front wheels just want to push straight when turning sharp. I do have a battery tray welded up, ready to install the batteries under the seat like the original design. I have it mocked up and ready to weld, but keep thinking about the other problem with the lead acids just not able to provide the punch off the line for the amp hungry winch motor ( I think it is able to pull 3000 watts?). I am getting parts and cost for the 48 volt jr dragster together and am looking at going LifePo4. Anyways I am thinking of pulling the trigger on some headway cells but man the cost is crazy!! any opinions on other options? I have also been looking into lipo, but again price is up there for a quality pack with enough ah and proper C burst rating.

Here is the headway setup I am most likely going to get- http://www.ebay.com/itm/HEADWAY-24V-12Ah-DIY-BATTERY-KIT-/331219617783?pt=US_Rechargeable_Batteries&hash=item4d1e3a47f7

*EDIT- just checked out headways site and they have 8ah cells that are rated for a crazy 25 C discharge rate http://headway-headquarters.com/headway-38120hp-8ah-cell/.
I submitted a price request for a 24 volt diy pack with BMS (battery management system). I will need to confirm that I can use my 5 amp rc LiFePo4 charger.
Last edited by jonesee on Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
And so the saga continues.....

Plan to experiment with some headway LifePo4 cells that will be going in the Jr. dragster http://www.headway-headquarters.com/38120hp-8ah-headway-cell/. Replacing 28 lbs. of lead acid batteries with 6.5 lbs of lithium iron phosphate should provide not only a huge weight savings but the capacity of discharge from the racing cells is 200 amps!! Still need to finalize the balance charging but I plan on going with 4 cells in series x 2, fully charged it is 28.8 volts or 3.2 volts per cell nominal. This will allow me to use a standard rc type balance charger to keep the cells happily in sync. More updates to come after I get the balance leads so I can charge this powerplant.
Attachments
IMG_20150219_101210813_HDR.jpg
straight from China headway in a week
IMG_20150219_101916553.jpg
came with locking cell holders too
IMG_20150219_102032744.jpg
one cell is a little smaller than a redbull can and has about the same amount of energy!!
IMG_20150219_102246525.jpg
one fourth the weight and probably 4 x the power!!
wesleyb82 wrote:Very nice. How do you plan on monitoring pack voltage during operation to avoid over discharging?

very simple, integy cell monitor/ buzzer. http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p_prodid=8103&p_catid=198#.VQOfk5U5CP8

already have it installed and pack is balancing up as I type
Really great build!
Especially appluad and like the USA made Lithium batteries! I hope my build will be using that some day.
Thank you for providing the Lithium link.
May I ask a question about your brakes, I didnt see any details about them in your thread. Which brakes did you decide to go with with all the options out there?

For a low expense Disk brake I have been eyeing the Avid BB5 with HS1 rotor (High heat disapating rotor) at $40.

Looking forward to reading details on the new batteries, charging and motor
Speed Assault wrote:Really great build!
Especially appluad and like the USA made Lithium batteries! I hope my build will be using that some day.
Thank you for providing the Lithium link.
May I ask a question about your brakes, I didnt see any details about them in your thread. Which brakes did you decide to go with with all the options out there?

For a low expense Disk brake I have been eyeing the Avid BB5 with HS1 rotor (High heat disapating rotor) at $40.

Looking forward to reading details on the new batteries, charging and motor

Thanks!

the batteries are cool but will need some figuring out. I am doing 2 four cell banks to charge with my 6c charger and then linking in series for 24 volts. Threw the pack in a stock mustang and the low voltage alarm started beeping right away. Even at 8ah it should last a while on stock 550 motors! thought maybe one cell was out of balance but they are all within 2 hundredths of a volt. Balance charged again and they are all perfect now. This is why I am testing now, not sure if I need a 2 parallel 8 series or what. The lifepo4 cells are rated for 3.65 volts per cell and my rc charger has the lifepo4 setting at 3.3 volts per cell so I am not sure what to do on that. I am thinking that the lower setting is leaving the cell half empty so to speak. More R&D needed.

For the brakes it was pure luck that I had a stupid pump scooter that I bought to ride around with kids but it was not fun bobbing up and down. I was going to scrap it out and noticed the rotor bolt pattern matched up with the currie gearbox wheels so I threw them on not sure if it would work or not so I did not make an effort to document the details in the thread. I will see if I can find any info on it but if you can get a set of brakes for $40 that is less than half the cost of the scooter I robbed of parts.
Are you using a Lipo alarm on a Life pack? If so this might be the issue as Lipo alarms that I have had come from the factory with a 3.3v alarm setting which is the top end of the Life working range of 3-3.3v range. My Lipo alarm is adjustable and also has a 2.7v alarm setting and if yours does as well this would be closer to the Life end 2.5 voltage.

EDIT: Also wanted to mention that if the alarm goes off under acceleration it is most likely simply voltage sag rather than low voltage but it definitely can be an indication that remaining capacity is low unless the batteries are poor quality and simply buckle under load
Last edited by wesleyb82 on Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
wesleyb82 wrote:Are you using a Lipo alarm on a Life pack? If so this might be the issue as Lipo alarms that I have had come from the factory with a 3.3v alarm setting which is the top end of the Life working range of 3-3.3v range. My Lipo alarm is adjustable and also has a 2.7v alarm setting and if yours does as well this would be closer to the Life end 2.5 voltage.

EDIT: Also wanted to mention that if the alarm goes off under acceleration it is most likely simply voltage sag rather than low voltage but it definitely can be an indication that remaining capacity is low unless the batteries are poor quality and simply buckle under load

You are right on target with what is going on. My alarm is adjustable and even at 2.7 volts it would still go off. These headway cells should not have any sag especially from two tiny 550 motors! The charger that came with it charges these cells to 3.65 volts. I have not used the included charger because the bms is only rated for 30 amps and nitemare will pull 200 amps so my plan was to use an rc balance charger but it only charges cells to 3.3 volts. See the problem! these are not typical lifePo4 cells but high performance racing cells. I am still looking around for a 200 amp bms but have been busy with so many projects that I have not made time to find one. Do you happen to know a place to source a high power bms?
My powerwheels modding days are slowly slipping away, that is the main reason I am going big on project "NiteMare" as my little racer will probably only fit in it one more summer.[/quote]

I have an idea how that can feel, it's a bummer for sure. Just gota look at new things to do as they grow.
Perhaps you could sell a few to help with newer projects and maybe upgrade some of them to fit the growing kid..

As I have fitted my Drift Corvette to fit me at 5' 10" 180lbs I actually fit in nicely in a Child seat I found at neighbors.

This way you could continue to enjoy all your great project rides :D

Really great builds!
Thank you for sharing them
By jonesee
Speed Assault wrote:My powerwheels modding days are slowly slipping away, that is the main reason I am going big on project "NiteMare" as my little racer will probably only fit in it one more summer.

I have an idea how that can feel, it's a bummer for sure. Just gota look at new things to do as they grow.
Perhaps you could sell a few to help with newer projects and maybe upgrade some of them to fit the growing kid..

As I have fitted my Drift Corvette to fit me at 5' 10" 180lbs I actually fit in nicely in a Child seat I found at neighbors.

This way you could continue to enjoy all your great project rides :D

Really great builds!
Thank you for sharing them[/quote]

Now that we have been to the track my youngest (5) says he wants to race too :shock: now I need 2 dragsters, a toy hauler trailer, a tow rig to bring them back from the finish line and lots of lithium cells to power those D&D series motors!! We plan to get the first jr done over the winter.

Nitemare is running great but we still have the SLA 24 volt 18 ah batteries in it. Got the headways all wired up but now I need a 30-36 volt power supply for the chargerhttp://www.thunderpowerrc.com/Products/Chargers_2/TP1430C Looking at this power supply http://www.ebay.com/itm/181718310739?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT but there has to be a cheaper alternative.

Here is my racer playing drifter till we get enough funds for the dragster build.
Well, decided to take Nitemare to the next level and add a nitrous purge valve setup to add to the scale realism (not that it doesn't have enough already!) found these electric valves and a mini pressure tank with a Schrader valve and thought to myself "purge valve" and that's how this got started. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Still need to tig weld the aluminum plate to the tank cap so I can even test this thing out. Plan is to add a little water to the tank, pressurize to 60 psi and using 1/4 inch ice maker tubing plumb it to the valve and then to a tee where I have drilled 1/4 inch holes in the corners of the hood cowl. Ideally I would like to see a mist spray out of the tubes just like full scale nitrous cars when they purge right before they stage. Wish me luck!!
Attachments
IMG_20160121_104455650.jpg
IMG_20160121_104517991_HDR.jpg
FB_IMG_1452289966170.jpg
will swap out for the smaller tank with the pressure valve and psi gauge
IMG_20160119_093504693_HDR.jpg
drilled and tapped the aluminum plate for a 1/4 inch air gun pressure regulator valve.
Use distilled water to minimize the corrosion on the solenoid!
toycrusher wrote:Use distilled water to minimize the corrosion on the solenoid!

thanks, never considered that. it is solid brass so it should not be a problem even with my well water. worth the effort though.
got the nitrous installed on Nitemare...
Forget the kids, I want that on my truck! :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Agreed, that is too cool!
my son still fits in Nitemare so have been having some fun street racing with our 775 banbot 8s lipo C7. Enjoy

P.S. looks like the site has been overhauled, might have to check this out and get back to posting builds on here....
check out the update and demo version of nitemare. Let me know what you think.

Heck ya you need to keep posting here!!! Love the video. Your not going to be happy with me but I discovered what Nitemare is missing...

Keep scrolling...

'Cmon, almost there...

:lol: :roll:

homepage_hero_image_1.jpg

Yup, a manual clutch. Now your son can rev the motor and dump the clutch to FINALLY get those front wheels hanging in the air! :lol: :lol: :lol: 8-) 8-) 8-)

http://3dmotorsport.net/

I haven't actually used one myself so no guarantee as to fit and fitness to your application :lol:
toycrusher wrote:Heck ya you need to keep posting here!!! Love the video. Your not going to be happy with me but I discovered what Nitemare is missing...

Keep scrolling...

'Cmon, almost there...

:lol: :roll:

homepage_hero_image_1.jpg

Yup, a manual clutch. Now your son can rev the motor and dump the clutch to FINALLY get those front wheels hanging in the air! :lol: :lol: :lol: 8-) 8-) 8-)

http://3dmotorsport.net/

I haven't actually used one myself so no guarantee as to fit and fitness to your application :lol:

that is slick will definitely keep that option in mind for the next build. (going to be more of a dedicated drift machine)

Jonesee

If your sole purpose for the charger is charging […]

Pre-Christmas bumb for any interested party

Razor Crazy Cart 1000W

I have a Gen 5 and it's a riot. Has a bad death wo[…]

Bravo Sports 24v Grave Digger

I searched over 15 different stores and could not[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course