KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Use this area as your personal project pages or blog! Each thread belongs to one user as a project page!
By cheapjeeps
So we finally decided to use these snow days to start our "over the top project". A highly modified corvette drift car. Up to this point, a $20 corvette lowered over 1" all the way around, mustang wheels, custom carbon fiber spoiler, handmade front air splitter, custom side skirts, custom corvette style cowl hood, and a 24 volt conversion. This will be a flagship test vehicle for our shop plastic innovations. Up next; rear air diffusier, more carbon fiber inserts, aluminum body panels, compete race inspired racing paint theme, and racing sponsored graphics. We are seeking suggestions for sponsor and or paint themes.
Attachments
Corvette type 1 005r.jpg
Corvette type 1 006r.jpg
Corvette type 1 007r.jpg
Corvette type 1 012r.jpg
By jonesee
I have never been a fan of the corvette in stock form but this thing is looking sharp!

Looking forward to the progress and running video.

We might have to dragrace for pinkslips, against my sons "Project NightMare" :lol: :lol:
http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14646
Last edited by jonesee on Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By jonesee
cheapjeeps wrote:I would be up for a drift race, where "style points" are just as important as "winning"!

we need a LIKE button!! :lol: :D :lol:
By taz11
SigEp wrote:Not sold on the wheels

Just what I'd expect from a beamer owner :P

I think the wheels look good. They stick out just the right amount.
By aVWguy
looks like the old road warrior might have a bit of a challenge now lol
time to break out the tool box when spring hits lol
liking the hood
By cheapjeeps
The wheels are stock corvette wheels with modified mustang hubcaps. Drilled the holes in the hubcaps larger and counter sunk holes on the front to fit the stock spindles. The mustang hubcaps are slightly wider than stock even after modification. In the rear we used a jeep axle to gain the width. Finished the rear air diffuser yesterday. I think it was worth the all the time it took.
Attachments
Corvette type 1.2 009r.jpg
3/8 plywood. same as the front air splitter
Corvette type 1.2 016r.jpg
Corvette type 1.2 024r.jpg
Corvette type 1.2 025r.jpg
By cheapjeeps
So, I decided that the mustang wheels didn't exactly fit the theme of our build. I liked how easy it was, but this build isn't about easy. This is the mock up of the new wheels version 2.0. These new wheels actually have a subtle staggered fitment and the reverse offset is more on the line of a race car. The rim will be silver and the face will be a gun metal color. Stainless button head allen bolts will fill the smaller outer holes to mimic 3 piece wheels. I am still toying with the idea of center caps that mimic a 5 lug bolt pattern with studs and lugs or possibly even using PVC hex end caps to simulate a "knock off" style F1 wheel.
Attachments
Corvette type projestsr.jpg
Front with cardboard lug nut and stud mock up
Corvette type 1.2 033r.jpg
Reverse offset.
By taz11
I don't know...... I like the idea, but something is not quite there IMO. I like the mustang wheels better.

If you decide to go with the current ones the lug nuts are a must! 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Can't wait to see where this goes.
By cheapjeeps
The original flip on the front end only gained 1 1/4" lower from the stock position. We decided it would be worth the effort to weld up some drop spindles that gained another 1/2" drop in the front. Now we have the option of shimming to adjust ride height from its current lowest setting, to 1/2" higher. Then we mocked up the spoiler brackets with cardboard, until the final brackets are cut out of 3/8 aluminum. The side skirts are "left overs" from an old honda racing spoiler. Rear ride height still has to be set before the skirts can be properly fitted. Next will be a hand bent rear subframe, more front end bracing, a 49cc 2 stroke racing engine, aluminum go kart hubs, #35 sprocket/chain, hydraulic disc brake with an e-brake handle, and handmade full length exhaust with quad ports. (aka, corvette exhaust). So much for 24volts! :lol: :twisted:
Attachments
Corvette type 1.21 001r.jpg
new drop spindles. flipped and cut. over 2" lower than stock
Corvette type 1.21 005r.jpg
added front end bracing, a common problem area for corvettes
Corvette type 1.21 010r.jpg
rear spoiler mock-up
Corvette type 1.21 009r.jpg
new front ride height and aluminum side skirts
By cheapjeeps
Got some more done on the project 2 Stroke vette. The Axle is finally done minus the brake. The wheel drivers were really easy once we came up with junk old 1/4 drive 12mm sockets! Keyways will be milled into the axle once the sub frame is laid out and positioning of hubs and sprockets is determined. Center mount exhaust mocked up. Scratched the "quad exhaust". Making progress on the disc brake and handbrake. Swapping from metric chain to #35 kart chain will also require more machining, Stay tuned, more to come...
Attachments
Corvette type 1.23 002r.jpg
1/4 drive, 12mm or 1/2" sockets a perfect fit. Strong and keeping the wheel stock for easy replacement.
Corvette type 1.23 003r.jpg
Hub driver with good contact area. Plenty for drifting!
Corvette type 1.23 010r.jpg
1" hollow seamless pipe. 3/4" bar stock for heim joints pressed thru the center. Racing kart hubs with sockets installed.
Corvette type 1.23 012r.jpg
Complete axle assembly with 1/2" threaded rod to index the stock wheels.
Corvette type 1.23 013r.jpg
Split aluminum 64T sprocket and aluminum hub. Wheels indexed perfectly.
Corvette type 1.23 020r.jpg
Spoiler mounts and exhaust mocked up. Now the fun part, lots of cutting and welding!
By jonesee
now were talking, looking sweet! SOCKETS? who would have thought! great solution to and it looks like a great fit!!
By cheapjeeps
Thanks! I am very happy with the wheel drivers and hopefully, it can be an easy solution for other members on the forum to use stock safety first wheels on kart hubs. Today I started work on the sub frame. Looking like it's going to need to tie the front to the rear and have cross bracing to support the pedal assemblies. So, I guess it will technically be a full frame. I am toying with the idea of having modified scooter brake discs on the front wheels with hydraulic calipers operated by the pedal, and have a mechanical caliper/disc in the rear that will be operated by hand brake to assist in drifting. Can't decide if it will be functional enough to merit the design and fab work. :?
By aVWguy
stock setup at 24V is enough to break loose and drift with those plastic wheels
my son does it at 18V with his (killed 2 sets of traction bands then gave up on them)
a 2cycle engine depending on displacement and gearing should be able too with no problems
BEWARE .. depending on your choice of clutch on that engine a hand brake might be more destructive then its worth ...
locking up the rearend and stopping the clutch and potentialy the engine is an easy way to snap a flywheel key or worse a connecting rod
By cheapjeeps
:lol: Made some progress on engine mounts and wheels. Still waiting on the metal for the subframe. Figured out the front disc brakes finally, and they won't be easy but will def be worth the extra work. Really excited to show everyone the front brakes once all the parts come in!
Attachments
Corvette type 1.24 005r.jpg
Hand polished stainless M8 cap head bolts cut down to fit the wheels. All 32 only took about 4hrs.
Corvette type 1.24 006r.jpg
Mock up of the wheels (unpainted) with new hardware.
Corvette type 1.24 007r.jpg
Angle iron and an alternator bracket from a small block chevy.
Corvette type 1.24 008r.jpg
Motor mounts done. They will be welded to 1/4 plate that will be slotted to adjust chain tension.
By cheapjeeps
Progress was pretty good today. Axle milled out for 4 different 1/4 keyway locations. After over 3 hours per wheel, the wheels are finally done! Got a custom moroso air cleaner mocked up on the motor and work on the frame is finally underway (not pictured). Brakes are waiting on parts and machining. Starting to think remote control would be really pretty sweet, and safer! :lol: If anyone has any experience in RC power wheels, how hard is it?
Attachments
Corvette type 1.25 002r.jpg
4 separate keyways milled into the axle and ends of tube welded.
Corvette type 1.25 004r.jpg
Wheels are FINALLY done. The masking for paint was a pain, but def worth it.
Corvette type 1.25 007r.jpg
Completed wheels with shortened, hand polished, stainless hardware installed.
Corvette type 1.25 010r.jpg
It is exactly the look I was going for. And yes, it took around 15hrs total on just the wheels.
By cheapjeeps
Not the most exciting post, but I found the missing puzzle piece to the front end while at work today. Some new 1 1/8"od X 1/2"id bearings, still in the box, sitting right there in the trash! Freebie! Once the stock wheel centers were removed, I found some hose clamps that I cut down to make rings that ended up being the perfect "press fit" into the stock wheels. The wheels spin straighter than I ever would have expceted, but still have some run-out that will definitely affect the front brakes. I might try pressing the bearings some more, or using a lathe and a torch, straighten the wheels as much as possible. Never thought retaining the plastic wheels could ever have been so involved!
Attachments
Corvette type 1.3 002r.jpg
Stock wheel center removed. 1 3/16" rough id of the wheels.
Corvette type 1.3 003r.jpg
1 1/8" od X 1/2" id high speed ball bearings with cut down hose clamps as spacers.
Corvette type 1.3 004r.jpg
Front side pressed into until it bottomed out in the wheels.
Corvette type 1.3 005r.jpg
backside pressed until flush. Hopefully allowing for balancing with a tighter pressing.
By cheapjeeps
Progress was great today! I got most of the frame measured, cut, bent, and tacked in place. The warmer weather is definitely speeding up progress! Kind of funny, but during the last tack weld tonight,my welder ran out of wire! Perfect timing! :lol: Only thing left is the smaller stuff, like a roll bar hoop behind the seat, fuel tank mounts, couple body mount tabs, rear bumper mount, welding the gussets, motor mount, and final welding. Should have everything completely welded and the frame in primer by next weekend. Next will be body mods and prep.
Attachments
Corvette type 1.35 003R.jpg
The "before it's awesome" pic.
Corvette type 1.35 005R.jpg
First bars bent, then the design changed. For the better.
Corvette type 1.35 010R.jpg
Majority of the bars bent and ready for welding.
Corvette type 1.35 015R.jpg
Everything tacked in place.
Corvette type 1.35 017R.jpg
Shot from the front.
Corvette type 1.35 018R.jpg
Shot from the back.
Corvette type 1.35 019R.jpg
The rear minus the roll bar.
Corvette type 1.35 020R.jpg
The font minus new steering setup and spindles.
By cheapjeeps
Tub cut out and axle rough fitted for mock up. As its looking right now, the engine will fit mostly inside the rear bumper as I intended, but the passenger seat will have to be completely cut out. Ride height will still need to be set before final welding and roll bar/ seat hoop still needs to be fabricated.
Attachments
Corvette type 1.36 008r.jpg
Stock tub measured and cut.
Corvette type 1.36 010r.jpg
Plenty of clearance for new axle.
Corvette type 1.36 013r.jpg
Axle rough fitted.
Corvette type 1.36 015r.jpg
Ride height, next on the list.
Corvette type 1.36 018r.jpg
Nice flow and clearance to the rear air diffusier.
By cheapjeeps
After a ton of measuring, the axle was finally welded in place. Modified spindles with grade 8, 1/2" socket cap bolts welded in place. Camber, a touch of caster and ride height were all set. While making clearance for the engine and exhaust, due to a lack of space, a handmade tubular intake manifold will need to be fabricated before the engine can be mounted. Stay tuned...
Attachments
Corvette type 2.1 013R.jpg
Axle welded in place.
Corvette type 2.1 018R.jpg
Aligned the axle to the body and frame while lowering the car even more.
Corvette type 2.1 004R.jpg
Cut out the original 7/16 spindle shafts. New hardware in pic.
Corvette type 2.1 006R.jpg
New welded spindles complete.
Corvette type 2.1 011R.jpg
Should look a lot better once the final side skirts are completed.
Corvette type 2.1 010R.jpg
New ride height.
Corvette type 2.1 022R.jpg
A dark shot of the underside with everything in place.
By cheapjeeps
Progress. Frame completely welded. Body mounts done. Steering drag link done. New brake rotor mocked up. Engine, steering column, and pedals are next on the agenda.
Attachments
Corvette type 2.2 001R.jpg
Welded frame.
Corvette type 2.2 004R.jpg
Frame, meet body.
Corvette type 2.2 008R.jpg
Flux core weld, on a screened in porch during heavy rain. I'm pretty happy with the product.
Corvette type 2.2 009R.jpg
More welded parts.
Corvette type 2.2 029R.jpg
Heim joints hooked to the new steering.
Corvette type 2.2 034R.jpg
Rough assembly. It's really starting to look like something finally.
Corvette type 2.2 038R.jpg
Frame bolted to the body. Ride height, and clearance for steering still need to be determined.
By cheapjeeps
So, hopefully all the machining needed for this build is done. The original engine sprocket was made for a TF8F metric chain. I set everything else up for #35 go kart chain. Apparently, the ribe/spline pattern used on imported 49cc engine sprockets doesn't exist in terms of standard #35 kart sprockets. So after machining, drilling and welding, it now exists. The engine is in limbo until I decide on the best mounting while allowing for chain adjustment, exhaust placement, and body clearance. Engine and exhaust should be done by this weekend. Still need to find some kind of chain tensioner so the engine won't need to be moved for chain adjustment.
Attachments
Corvette type 2.3 002RR.jpg
left: #35 kart sprocket. right: engine sprocket.
Corvette type 2.3 004RR.jpg
engine sprocket with teeth ground off and new kart sprocket bored out, milled in half and holes drilled.
Corvette type 2.3 008RR.jpg
Gears clamped together, and holes welded to avoid warping.
Corvette type 2.3 012RR.jpg
Rough engine mock up. Exhaust, mounts, and chain adjustment still TBD.
Corvette type 2.3 016RR.jpg
All said, it fits pretty well and will have a really low center of gravity.
By Jornum1
Great work, the chassis looks awesome! Your giving me juice to keep going on m rzr project! I have one of those little 50cc's too from a pocket bike. I had the same idea as you, but decided to do something off road. Those pocket bike motors are stronger then you think. It hauled my 200lb butt around pretty well. Those plastic tires arent going to last long!
Again great work!
By cheapjeeps
Thanks. I also figured the rear wheels won't hold up very long so I already have a plan. Search youtube for "drift trikes". They are using large diameter PVC and inflating pneumatic tires inside. I don't have tires to inflate, but I do have the small indentions where the traction bands used to be. Thinking I might cut a 2" slice off large PVC pipe and put a slit in it so I can pull it over the wheels. Maybe some glue or counter sunk screws to hold the "drift bands" in place. The hunt for the perfect PVC pipe has now begun.
By Jornum1
Neat idea, looking forward to what you find.
BTW where did you find the machinable sprocket? I have the same issue with my project. The swingarm I am using has a 520 sprocket with a odd bolt pattern. With the 212cc HF motor I can only find hilliard clutches with 420 engine sprockets. I am looking for a machinable 420 sprocket to adapt to the axle. Out of curiosity also what axle are you using? Is it a standard cart axle setup?
By cheapjeeps
Yeah, drift trikes are awesome! I only hope this corvette will give them a run for their money! Jornum1, the sprocket I machined was a run of the mill, 3/4" keywayed engine or "jack shaft" sprocket for #35 chain. I had it laying around in the garage but ebay or northern sells pretty much the same thing.The 420 sprockets are actually more common and offer a wider variety of bolt patterns and hub styles that could be closer to what you need. Ebay has tons. The axle I'm using is a seamless, 1" hollow pipe, 1/8" thick. Steel suppliers or fab shops. Other hollow "racing kart" axles I found online were expensive and had very limited sizes. I then used 3/4 OD X 1/2 ID bar stock that is used in race cars for making spacers, collars, and bushings for heim joints or shock mounts. Jegs or Ebay should carry it in all different lengths. The final piece is just a standard 1/2" threaded rod to index the wheels. Everything else is "off the shelf" racing go kart parts via Ebay. Hope that helps.
By Jornum1
Thanks Cheap, I pulled the axle apart to take a better look at the sprocket hub and found inspiration thinking about how your adapted your crank sprocket. The OD the 520 sprocket is smaller then the OD of the standard 420 sprocket. So I turned a adapter and will just locate, drill, and press new studs into the hub for the 420 sprockets. Actually ended up being really easy. I posted pics in my thread.
Just wanted to give you some props for giving me the idea!
By cheapjeeps
I think the hardest part is finally done. More of the body had to be cut out and engine had to be repositioned due to alignment and space constraints. Engine mount was finished and tacked in place. The exhaust roughly mocked up. I decided an automatic chain tensioner will work perfectly. Once the tensioner is mounted above the chain, it will save space, ease in quick gear changes, and keep the engine stationary. No more constantly sliding the engine back to tension the chain. I'm starting to consider adding some rear fender flares just for looks.(not pictured) Next will be seat mounting, rear bumper mounting, fuel cell mounting, and pedals.
Attachments
Corvette type 3.0 001R.jpg
Notched engine mount.
Corvette type 3.0 003R.jpg
engine cradle/mounting complete.
Corvette type 3.0 010R.jpg
Body cut down. Engine tacked in place. Chain mock up and rough alignment.
Corvette type 3.0 011R.jpg
Exhaust, muffler, and bumper mock up. Prob going to run an aluminum 2qt kart fuel cell to save space.
By cheapjeeps
Pretty good progress today. Rear trunk vent and custom intake manifold wrapped up. Next will be the auto tensioner for the chain and exhaust system. The fuel tank is being tig welded this week that will fit inside the passenger quarter panel. Hopefully we will be ready for a test run in about 2 weeks. :) Still up in the air about going fully radio controlled...
Attachments
Corvette type 4.0 006R.jpg
3/8 square box steel bent into compound curves to fit the trunk.
Corvette type 4.0 009R.jpg
Framework for the rear vent welded up.
Corvette type 4.0 012R.jpg
Hard to see in the pics, but the complexity of the bends were a test of my patience and very time consuming.
Corvette type 4.0 016R.jpg
Framework mocked underneath the cut out trunk.
Corvette type 4.0 020R.jpg
Perforated stainless steel cut to size.
Corvette type 4.0 023R.jpg
Still need to figure out the spoiler mounts working with the quick release rear bumper.
Corvette type 4.0 033R.jpg
Rough version of the intake manifold.
Corvette type 4.0 037R.jpg
Longer intake runner length should yield a higher top end and less bottom end torque, which should help with wheel spin off the line.
Corvette type 4.0 038R.jpg
New location of the carburetor beside the driver.
By cheapjeeps
So we got the spoiler mounted finally. Perforated stainless steel rear panel riveted to steel frame. Rear bumper quick release pins mounted but still need to be welded to the frame. Inner doors cut out for weight and space. Fuel tank rough mock up. Considering moving the brake rotor to the passenger side and lowering the driver seat for a better center of gravity. Started shaving the quarter panel maker lights. Hopefully in the next few weeks we will be ready for a test drive and post a video of it actually moving!
Attachments
Corvette type 4.5 019R.jpg
Stainless steel panel riveted.
Corvette type 4.5 020R.jpg
Spoiler mounts modified, cut down, and complete.
Corvette type 4.5 022R.jpg
Rear bumper assembly,
Corvette type 4.5 023R.jpg
Entire assembly easily removed for starting, service, and repairs.
Corvette type 4.5 026R.jpg
Quick release hood/bumper pins done.
Corvette type 4.5 028R.jpg
Looks kinda mean without the doors!
Corvette type 4.5 032R.jpg
Possible rib protectors and safety shields mocked up on the current seat. Still undecided.
Wow!! :D , Someone else that is building a Drift vette with a motor!!!

nice touch on the front spoiler, I just thought of that last night.

Yours is a lot far ahead than mine. viewtopic.php?f=19&t=16651

Hey Grab a Child car seat, people chuck those all the time. Check it out on my Project build " Formula Drift vette "

Your gonna add kart wheel soon right?
What happened to the 24v?

looking forward to updates.
Last edited by Speed Assault on Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Mrfairlady
Man...SUbscribed.Diggin it.

How can I get some of the Bullet hole wheels? You made them or are they off another model?
I need some of those for my Girls Vette.

Original reply deleted. See below. ***UPDATE**[…]

I was very lucky to find a Mario Kart on craigsli[…]

Gaucho grande

Hello everyone. Does anyone have parts for Gauch[…]

I will arrange can we exchange information offline[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course