KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Use this area as your personal project pages or blog! Each thread belongs to one user as a project page!
By 87jeepwrangler
last month a friend's Gator HPX took a little hit. amazingly, the front and rear axle, wiring harness, seats, and battery remained unharmed. needless to say, it was no longer of any value to them, so i scooped it up.
photo 3.JPG
photo 3.JPG (57.33 KiB) Viewed 2225 times
my original plan was to throw the parts under a jeep PW body i had laying around, but once i saw the body on there to get a look, i quickly realized the front and rear tires are different sizes. yuck. to me, a jeep shouldn't have different size wheels.
photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG (43.24 KiB) Viewed 2225 times
disappointed, i walked away to give it some more thought. when i came back, my kid had been playing with it, and accidentally knocked it over a little bit, as seen in the picture below...
photo 2.JPG
photo 2.JPG (47.13 KiB) Viewed 2225 times
still not in love with the idea of the jeep having different size wheels, it at least crossed my mind to make it into a drag car looking jeep, although i'm far from sold on the idea.

or, i could weld up a quick flat frame for the axles and seats, but i don't really know where id want to go from there.

you guys have any ideas? i've got a lot of other projects going on right now, so i'm hoping to keep this one somewhat quick and simple. what would you do with the parts? all ideas welcome.

By hkayssi
Or just buy another used set of tires to make the tire size the same on both axles :D
You can sell the parts you'll have left to offset the cost of acquiring the tires too :D
That is the classic Gator not the HPX though :)
Last edited by hkayssi on Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By taz11
OUCH!

I can relate to the snow crushed power wheels thing :(
By hkayssi
87jeepwrangler wrote:I like the get new matching wheels idea.

So it's definitely not a hpx? Excuse my ignorance, how can you tell, and is that good or bad? How hard will it be to find two more larger wheels?
Definitely not an HPx. Here's a pic of the HPX, look at the tire thread, the hub caps, the front grille and lights as well as the battery cover on the front That is a good thing parts are more readily available and cheaper :)

Last edited by hkayssi on Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
By hkayssi
If you decide part out the Gator, will you please let me know?

I need a few parts. I need the windshield the bed hydraulic cylinder release with the red pull on strap & the lock on the dash with or without the key
By 87jeepwrangler
update!!!

i threw these parts upstairs and sat on them until i recently found a place to put them. i came across a peg perego pedal powered construction hauler that was pretty rough around the edges. it was missing the bucket, and essentially just looked like a tractor. the steering was sloppy and the tires were about to wear through. i decided the gator axles might be a good fit under the pedal powered tractor, but its turning into more work than i had originally hoped. o well. on to the pics...

here's what the pedal power tractor looked like new...
tractor.gif
tractor.gif (33.35 KiB) Viewed 2012 times

the pedal powered front steering axle next to the gator steering axle. huge difference in size and scale.
photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG (37.99 KiB) Viewed 2012 times
the axle needed narrowing to make it look like it fit. i decided to remove 4.5" from the axle.
photo 2.JPG
photo 2.JPG (38.05 KiB) Viewed 2012 times
By 87jeepwrangler
the start of the steel bracket to connect the gator axle to the tractor
photo 3.JPG
photo 3.JPG (45.45 KiB) Viewed 2011 times
i used the original steering axle "kingpin" pieces to connect the new axle to the original mounting location.
photo 4.JPG
photo 4.JPG (46.21 KiB) Viewed 2011 times
the new narrowed gator axle connected to the steel bracket.
photo 5.JPG
photo 5.JPG (40.25 KiB) Viewed 2011 times
another view
photo 6.JPG
photo 6.JPG (40.21 KiB) Viewed 2011 times
here is the whole assembly mounted
photo 7.JPG
photo 7.JPG (38.96 KiB) Viewed 2011 times
By 87jeepwrangler
new tie rod and steering mechanism
photo 8.JPG
photo 8.JPG (42.11 KiB) Viewed 2009 times
the old gator tie rod was a stout plastic piece, but was now 4.5" too long, and had offset steering (the tractor has the steering wheel centered), so it just wasnt going to work. to connect the new tie rod to the knuckle, i machine 2 delrin spacers on the lathe that fit inside the knuckle and gave me a 3/8" hole instead of a .840" hole.
photo 9.JPG
photo 9.JPG (46.06 KiB) Viewed 2009 times
inserts in place in the knuckle.
photo 10.JPG
photo 10.JPG (33.33 KiB) Viewed 2009 times
completed steering assembly on the axle.
photo 11.JPG
photo 11.JPG (54.96 KiB) Viewed 2009 times
By 87jeepwrangler
i also remade the steering column, but forgot to take a picture of that. here's the entire front axle assembly finished and mounted (minus paint), and the rear tires just sitting under for the photo op.
photo 12.JPG
photo 12.JPG (46.1 KiB) Viewed 2009 times

here's the wiring harness i was able to salvage from the original wrecked gator. does anyone know or have a wiring diagram for this thing? not sure which wires go where. the shift lever has a reverse, high and low speed. is my fuse block missing any fuses or other parts?
photo 13.JPG
photo 13.JPG (45.63 KiB) Viewed 2009 times
By toycrusher
:D :D :D That's coming out pretty darn cool!
Software Testing

It's like this and like that and like this and tha[…]

New Here!

Thanks but I only have 1 battery

Peg Perego Magica parts

Bumper,both motors,gas pedal,rear shocks, I'm camp[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course