KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Use this area as your personal project pages or blog! Each thread belongs to one user as a project page!
By speedracer
I picked up this Monster Traction F150 since the owner said it would only work sometime and then it would stop. When I arrived there were already two new PWs in the yard to replace it.

Pay no attention to the Mustang in the picture there will be another thread about that one later.

I originally wanted to make it a sports team themed truck. But after looking the truck over the body panels would require more work than I have time for (there are two other projects waiting). So the new plan was to get this one fixed and back on the road quick with a few mods.

First order of business was to figure out why it stopped working. So after disassembly and cleaning. I went over the electricals. Everything checked out except one of the switches in the shifter was worn out (and full of sand). To a switch from one of the other projects and good to go. I even opened the gear boxes (a first for me) and everything looked ok.

Tires were shot. Rears had holes in some of the treads. Those with MT F150 know what I mean. Anything but off road and the tires get eaten alive. So after looking around on the forum I decided to retread them with self adhesive rubber step treads from HF.

I used some locktite adhesive and 18 gauge staples to hole the treads on. Here they are with inner tubes holding them on while the glue dries.

With the goal being to get this one done quick I decided to mainly go with paint to make the truck look a little better. The paint I used was Krylon (non-fusion), Rustoleum Painters Touch (my paint of choice-and claims to bond to plastic). Someone who just moved gave me bout 10 cans of paint and this was one of them. So far it has held up to four kids fighting for a turn to drive at a play date. I'll post long term results in my post in the Paint section.

I saw another post about a custom paint job on a MT F150 and did some similar mods.
Interior pieces were all painted. There are parts for two other cars shown but the brown pieces are for the F150.

Door panel pieces installed.

Here is the dash. Not my original idea. Seen the contrast in colors done on another F150 on the forum.

Dash installed. Yes the radio still works just need batteries. And so does the battery meter. The side view mirrors are replacements for a Raptor that were painted satin black since the truck came with 1 and 3/4 of a mirror. I used the mirror fix-it panel from WM instead of the PW decal.

Seats installed. Ford emblems were removed (I DO NOT RECOMMEND DOING THIS, just tape the off) before paint. One broke and was super glued back on. The emblems also had the silver sanded off and I applied silver spray paint using a fine tip paint brush.

I tried my had a vinyl wrap since the body was in poor shape I considered wrapping the whole truck. But in my haste to get things finished I sourced the vinyl locally. So this thing has a $18 windshield (yes the piece was only big enough to do the windshield). It turned out okay. And was faster than painting (the hood had scratched the windshield up pretty bad I sure paint wouldn't have lasted long). There are still a few air bubbles that I decided not to try and get out. I have a new appreciation for those on the forum who do vinyl wrap.

Back window was panted satin black (was going to do the trim in silver but I had enough of taping off stuff).

The truck had been driven a few times by now but one day the sun came out and the temps were over 69 degrees so I popped off the grill and painted it black too. I wish I did a before picture as most of the chrome was scratched off anyway. this time I just taped off the Ford emblem and touched up the silver with a paint brush.

But then I guess I didn't have enough of taping off things. Because while I was painting some things for the wife I found myself taking the headlights out of the F150 to black them out (I may have found a theme here). And I needed something to do while the paint dried on the wife's stuff.

Future plans:
- Led head lights, tail lights and fog lights (I have one with the tail light lens so whoo hoo).
- Some kind of under vehicle lighting (may or may not have strobe effect).
- Volt gauge in the dash. And maybe an AMP gauge.
- And maybe continue the blacked out theme.
- Of course 18 volts to shred the gear boxes).
By brianw
I just tore down my son's MT F150 yesterday! Any idea how to remove the taillights? I found one screw, but they still seem to be clipped in somehow.

Nice work so far!
By brianw
For the bubbles in the vinyl...poke a hole with a needle and let it sit in the sun...the bubbles will disappear in no time.
By Mordedura
I would love to get my hands on a set of those taillights... My newer style MT F-150 has the stickers (just weak FP!), but it still has the plastic ridges where the real taillights should line up.

How is your paint holding up?
By jonesee
finding a donor ford is worth the mod. I agree that it sucks that FP deleted tails on the f150 AND mustang!!
Attachments
065.jpg
before
067.jpg
surgery
070.jpg
finished mod.
By Salirvip
I feel like i have looked everywhere for donor tail lights lenses is there a specific place i can buy them or have them fabricated?

Got harbor freight 13x5 tires on rim, sawed off th[…]

New guy

Hello everyone! I found so much great info here I […]

Dune racer batman 24 volt help

Thanks Wesley -- good point that not everyone want[…]

Thanks

HobbyMasters Udemy Course