KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Use this area as your personal project pages or blog! Each thread belongs to one user as a project page!
By speedracer
Or at least it won't be when I get finished.
I picked up this Mustang in a two vehicle deal that included a F150. Both were said to work intermittently. The owner had already bought two new PWs to replace them when I arrive to pick them up.

Not having any girls I couldn't let the boys roll around in a pink car. Well I could but then how would I justify all the mods I want to make.

This car had sand everywhere. Like it was taken to the beach and driven into the water. But everything works and it even has the orange gear boxes (which I am told are a good thing).

Original plan was to make this a sports team themed car (actually the rival team to the team the truck was going to be based on). But like the truck the body has too many scratches and scrapes. And I don't really want to do bodywork on a plastic car (even if I have gallon of bondo in the garage).

So quick was the plan but not too quick. Naturally I started with paint.
Windshield and A-pillar (Rustoleum black and FUSION satin white (first time spraying it)). I must say it takes a lot of coats to get coverage with fusion. I've gone through 4 cans already and will need about 4 more to finish.

Not able to find Fusion in Gray locally I went through my stash of paint and found and old can of car vinyl paint from DupliColor (and immediately reminded myself why I hadn't used it, it sucks). But it sprays thick so I gave it a go on the interior. One can (not even a full can) did the dash, seats, and the door panels.

Then for some reason I decided what if I lower it? So I commendered the kitchen table for few days to sort things out. I won't go into detail because I'm sure there are many better ways to do this. But I was aiming for little cost. And if you keep in mind move the axles UP and the car will go DOWN, then you'll get there. The rear was easy but the front was free. I mounted the rear axle above the original location giving the car about a 1/2 inch drop. Using PEX tubing to locate the axle and 1/2 and 3/4 electrical conduit mounts.

The front I used a box cutter and hacked away at the front module (the subframe that holds the steering). This may not long but that's the price you pay to look cool.

Here is the before.
<CHECK BACK LATER, I really have to get better at taking before pictures>

Here is the after. The rear wheels tuck just inside the fender. A little was shaved off the wheel driver to bring the rear wheels in to clear the lip of the fender.

During the course of all the on and off of the wheels I decided to drill and pin the axles. In this case I'm using cotter pins because of the limited space in the wheel caps.

I'm still undecided if I'm going to take the time and do a top notch paint job of if I'll just get the color changed and put it on the road.

One thing for sure the undercarriage is going to be black (two cans of Fusion and I refuse to use any more).

First light coat.

After second can (and about two weeks because I ran out of paint, finally got another can and the weather went crappy for a few days, so I had to wait the minimum 10 days to recoat).

Future Plans:
- Led lights. I have the headlights. The taillights will be some work (it has stickers).
- paint color. I like the black and white, I may make it a police car.
- volt gauge in the dash
- radio and speakers (maybe and amp too)
- 18volts

I am having the exact same issue with my sons rapt[…]

can we get a little more info like make and model […]

So one of the motors burned out on my kids Viper. […]

I have a Power Wheels Duner racer. I upgraded it t[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course