KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Use this area as your personal project pages or blog! Each thread belongs to one user as a project page!
By silvertn350
So my journey of modifying power wheels started off uninformed. I took a basic 2 seater jeep and hooked up 2 18v in series and ended up breaking the steering column because I was driving my child's toy. Now I have moved on to a Jeep Hurricane that I purchased off craigslist in pretty good condition for $100. I have been told I am not allowed to drive this one and after reading horror stories about the gears I don't want to put the strain on the motors. So this one is strictly for my kids but that doesn't mean I cant have fun modifying it.
The day I bought it:

After a few days, I wired up LED headlights, removed the front plate and painted the front gray accents black. Also disabled Auto Braking:

Installed a Voltmeter on the opposite side of the dash to watch the main batteries that will power the hurricane (12v 12AH + 6V 12AH wired in series) , there is an additional 12v 9AH battery for accessories.

Decided to mess with the radio. No more annoying sounds when turning left and right. Upgraded the antenna via splicing in a 31 inch wire (Picked up all local stations even in my garage). Hard wired to accessory battery using a regulator so no more swapping out the disposable C batteries and wired up a 6.5" speaker behind the seat.

Coming up projects:
Red LED functional tail lights
Brake Pedal Mod
Fog Lights (For the dead space under the headlights where the stickers are)
Considering painting all of the Orange interior pieces to Tan for a more realistic look
Finish painting the gray pieces black only have the bar behind the seat and rear Jeep cover left
Install real mirror overlays on the mirrors and re-install although I kind of like the look of no mirrors at all

Possible projects:
Hall effect accelerator pedal
Scooter controller

That's currently all I have planned
Last edited by silvertn350 on Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By silvertn350
So small update. After a few hours riding time on 18v and unknowing previous history . We broke 2nd gear in the driver side gear box.

Luckily for me I actually had brand new 7R boxes/ motor combos. After a small bit of modifying I was able to slide the axle right through and use them. What a difference . Even on the same 18volts the hurricane is considerably faster. Assuming that's because all of the components are new and no slipping of the gears is occurring. 1 noticeable difference was the motor size. Stock on left and 7R on right :

Now the full battery setup is in place and looks great with a right fit. Will post pictures soon. Still waiting on front fog lights and the 12 to 6v regulator for the radio. With 12v hooked to it just to test there is a distinct humming . Not sure if it's the extra juice getting to it or if my speaker is bad . I kinda hope the speaker is bad because I have a spare kenwood waiting to go in if so!

Continuing with the looks department. I decided to go with flat black for the interior pieces. Here's before and after of the seat:

Last thing I've been working on is the HURST shifter. I wanted something that looked cool and of course still be functional. Removing the stock orange knob, I fitted a 5" 5/16ths bolt and screwed on an aftermarket hurst grip shift knob. The outcome:

Soon to come:
Fog lights for the spots under the headlights
Radio hard wired and kenwood speaker
Install switches for lights so I don't have to disconnect the accessory battery every time.
Removing the Monster Energy decals(previous owner mod) and adding perhaps a few real jeep performance decals. Rough Country, quadratec, etc.

Next project:
Think of something to help my daughter with steering. With the extra power she is gripping the steering wheel and complaining of it hurting her hand. Any thoughts?
Last edited by silvertn350 on Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By toycrusher
Nice work! On the motors it looks like you went from 15t motors to 19 or 21t motors which is definitely a speed boost. If you don't have any hills you pobably won't notice the torque drop.
By silvertn350
Thanks for the pointer! I don't have enough knowledge about these yet to notice. But the jeep is running great and I plan on keeping it around for a long time. Not sure how crazy I will go but I'm looking into the 15 or is it 16" BMX tire mods.
By toycrusher
Your only real hope is a custom front axle. The unibody setup makes it really tough
By 66deuce
Wanting to come up with a 4wd option that would involve maybe welding the motors inline of the front axle. any suggestions?

If you are want it to look good and work well, it's gonna take some fab work. Most guys will narrow the front, install longer axle rods and add another pair of gearboxes up front. That's the easy way.

If you have the capability and wanna do a really cool 4wd set up, I can walk you through it, but its not for the meek. My latest 4WD full suspension build is hovering around $1k in parts, and I'm also machining many of them from scratch. We're pretty far removed from the conventional method of scouring eBay for a couple more gear boxes.
By toycrusher
66deuce wrote: Most guys will narrow the front, install longer axle rods and add another pair of gearboxes up front. That's the easy way.

Lol! Only the guy who machines his own differential carriers can call that the easy way... :lol:
By RawLiquid
Unfortunately, I don't think you will be getting a reply from the OP...
That said, what he did is not difficult at all, the hardest part might be getting enough power to the speaker from the scrawny piece of junk they call a radio...
As for the hard wiring, you will nee to buy a voltage regulator, from whatever voltage you are currently running, and outputting 6V (I havent had to touch the radio batteries so I don't know offhand if it's 2 D cells or 4, each D cell in series is 1.5 volts...you need to match that voltage). you can find them in any of the numerous websites dedicated to makers or electronics. You would be looking for a BUCK adapter, which is a regulator that reduces the voltage, and shouldn't need anything very large, for just the radio I would guess <100mA would be more than enough available power. If you need to add an amp to help drive a larger speaker, you need to account for the increased load, take the wattage of the amp, use ohms law to figure out how many amps are needed at 12v to match the current, then add 20-30% as a safety margin.

After you have all the stuff, don't forget to fuse anything tied directly to the batt, run your wires and connect the voltae regulator input to your battery harness, check the voltage coming out of the regulator and if it's in the right range, hook the wires up to the appropriate battery springs in the radio.

Cheers
RawLiquid
By Suburbancharlie77
Ya, as raw liquid pointed out, the poster joined and was active for 1 week, then appears to have given up on the forum? But he did have some cool ideas!
By jhfla
I just purchased a new Jeep Hurricane for my kid and the radio has no reception and just static and I live in an urban area where there are plenty of strong signals. I took the radio out of the dash and the antenna wire is just around 2 inches then has exposed copper for around 1/2 inch. Wondering if this wire is suppose to be attached to a longer wire somewhere?
thanks for your help
Attachments
Jeep radio.jpg
Jeep Hurricane radio antenna
By Suburbancharlie77
Doesn't sound like an "improvement"?
I've never measured, but the ones I've pulled had enough wire to loop around the dash/firewall area. Best guess is 2 1/2'???
I forget the name (something to the effect of piezo~??), but there's a DIY radio antenna that you take 2 wires and split them and build the shape of a capital "T" to improve reception. If you google DIY antenna, hopefully the designs will help you with reception. I know almost every radio we've used lost the station frequently and with every head shaking bump. Let us know how it turns out.... but to add a 2 pair of thermostat wire 22 awg or so, would allow the "T" style easy. Wire nut both red/white to the radio, then split the pair, send red to the drivers side and white to the passenger side, loop them back to wire nut together in the center. The hurricane has a very center stereo, so it should work? Otherwise you would have enough wire to play with to get better reception. Best of luck!o

So I would also recommend CJB Turbo Timer setup bo[…]

I am upgrading a Best Choice 12v Jeep purchased fr[…]

mine has a chrome housing with clear lens covers..[…]

Hammer! Wow.... Great info... Thank you Reading […]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course