KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Use this area as your personal project pages or blog! Each thread belongs to one user as a project page!
By wesleyb82
Continued from viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19032

After 2 months this kart is setup mechanically. Now we need to program the controller with a good power curve and have some long talks about
Approach angles
Brake Control
Definition of "riding the brake"
and... Throttle Control. That's a "big" one.

(2) 1kw 48v Unite MY1020
T8F (8mm) chain
11T / 54T / 11T
14s/~60v (6s / 6s / 2s) 5Ah Lipos
Alltrax SPM Controller
Stock tires.... for now.

This was our test hit from today:
By jonesee
Nice! got any pics of your lipo series wiring setup? I know we just talked about why I wanted to go from a 6s lipo to a 8s in our vette and wanted to feel better about my decision about eliminating all those wires and connectors.

BTW, did you steal those cones from me? :lol: I have like 200 of those too, for our drift course setup.

keep up the good work bro
By intense98neon
First, very nice, will you adopt me? Second, I need to get some of those cones! My daughters love running over the 7" tall ones with their Jeep...... I get sick of putting them back up! Seriously, adopt me.
By wesleyb82
Sorry I just noticed these reply's until now

Those cones are great! They do not blow away in the wind, do not break when they are run over. A must have. $.35/ea
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-100-ORANGE- ... xyE-dRy3Pb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

John the lipos have 5.5mm M/F bullet connectors so I just daisy chain them. 6s x 6s x 2s. I do not like the setup though since the loose wires. See this image as an example-http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41YFdk8GyoL._SY355_.jpg this pack has both a connector on it that keeps the pos/neg separated and also free pos/neg wires. We got the packs without a connector so the pos/neg could arc so they must be handled with great care when they are not connected to anything and constantly have to have the terminals covered which make me nervous and I have snapped them once when I was setting them up to charge. I am going to try a setup with (4) 6s 5ah 10c (2x 2P6S), XT60 connectors and a 80a BMS with 20a 50.4v charger. That will be 48v, 10ah, with a ~30m charge time.

I'm debating about leaving the controller as is with a quick throttle response and waiting for him to manage the power or programming the controller to limit the power delivery/change power curve. The way it is now too much throttle and the tires blow off, too much brake and the tire locks up. To drive this thing well there needs to be correct driver inputs. If you notice in the video though, right now he's just on and off the throttle, but in the end (@ 0:37) he starts to get more gradual with it and he flies through a transition.

The controller is fantastic and offers changes in the power delivery curves. It's sick. But for now I think I'm going to more or less leave it as is and let him learn how to handle it. He's done well with everything else he's had so I hope he can master this thing. If he can do it, he will have the ability to control wheel spin, get it to hook and take off, then brake/power through corners and get it side ways if he wanted.

I was also considering some Hoosier tires for it... only thing that sucks is the minimoto wheel width is 4.5" which means I think it would need a 5" or 4.5" width tire since the kart tires side walls are pretty much straight. The wider tires need a wider wheel. The stock tires are 5.5" wide but the side walls curve in to meet the 4.5" wide wheel. I was also considering cheating the split rims an inch to make them 5.5" wide but this will take some time I'm going to need to stare at it for a while.
http://www.hoosiertire.com/karttire.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Idk we have to work it out but overall the thing is good I am very happy with it. We got the kart for $250, controller was $200, extra motor was $100. $550 in it now, then I hope to offset that cost by selling some of the original minimoto parts.

Unfortunately the weather just went from 50* to 15* so it may be a little while until we romp on this thing again.
Attachments
TK2-throttle-setting-web.jpg
Last edited by wesleyb82 on Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
By wired
Every time I read up on one of your posts I can't help thinking your life is going to be real interesting when that boy is 16 through 18 years old. :lol:
As always, nice build Wesley.
By wesleyb82
wired wrote:Every time I read up on one of your posts I can't help thinking your life is going to be real interesting when that boy is 16 through 18 years old. :lol:
As always, nice build Wesley.

Lol that's pretty funny but you're really onto something. We are raising the ante so quickly that I cannot get him into slow cars anymore. I have to fight with him to help me test Power Wheels now with the ESC parts, etc. I think I have created a monster. Hopefully this whole speed thing is out of his system before he's old enough to buy a motorcycle.
Last edited by wesleyb82 on Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By wired
I predict his college nickname to be "chuck jagermeister" and he will be a youtube legend of speed and awesomeness.
By wesleyb82
wired wrote:As always, nice build Wesley.

Whoops, I forgot to thank you for your kind complement.
Last edited by wesleyb82 on Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By wesleyb82
New rubber on the rear. Hoosier 22450 4.5/10.5-6. The 5.5/11.0-6 might have fit but the wheel is 4.5" wide so I played it safe and got the narrower tire. The wider tire might have bulged on the smaller tire which would have decreased the traction point. I was also able to reuse the factory tube with the narrower tire. The compound feels very tacky and seems like its going to provide some serious traction. This should put my motor mount to the test for sure. Now we just need the snow to melt and well give her a go.
Attachments
2016-01-23 21.27.27 (Medium).jpg
2016-01-23 21.27.19 (Medium).jpg
By wesleyb82
Here you go Scott: (same video as posted before of course)
[video]https://vimeo.com/154408133[/video]
By wesleyb82
Not bored, we just had it out tonight since some new kid on the block was challenging my son to a race so not only did he settle that but for the first time I crammed my 6-1 self into it and holy jesus I was holding on for dear life in the corners and gave myself a crick in my neck. One constructive observation that I made driving it was that programming the controller and tuning the throttle voltage range allowed the throttle to be very responsive throughout the entire range of the pedal. Other non-programmable types I use seem to have a effective response only in the middle of the pedal which I assume allows for pedals with varying resting voltages to still register as zero throttle
By wesleyb82

Working on throttle control which is critical for any over powered car of course. When he gets it right it looks mild but in this video he was pushing it trying to get it loose and shows how much power it has. I want to run the G meter app on it and see how much it pulls in the corners, it has to be at least 1.5Gs I'm going to guess it can pull 2Gs

Mike I haven't forgotten about you. I ......enter […]

Every once in a while somebody goes that new direc[…]

Yea if you use stock battery, that will happen. I […]

Ford F150 Raptor tire upgrade

I want to relay my experience attempting to upgrad[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course