KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Use this area as your personal project pages or blog! Each thread belongs to one user as a project page!
By Coopz
had been on the look out for a lightning mcqueen for ages,one come up on ebay and fate has it,he was mine. It was in pretty good nic,hadnt been used much.18v straight up and my young bloke was happy,but I wasnt lol as this is lightning mcqueen so this car needs to be modified.

Photo01.jpg
mocking up with go kart wheels

go kart wheels and a kickass controller was on the cards

Photo13.jpg
shortened the front axle and put a thread on the end

Photo12.jpg
spacer

shaved down a spacer to 17mm to fit in the bearing case.

Photo11.jpg
spacer fits nicely into wheel bearing

Photo02.jpg
battery holder

will be placing the batteries 2 x 12v 15ah or 12v 22ah plenty of room there, the low centre of gravity and balances ride. probably will end up putting another battery under the hood for a 36v upgrade.

Photo10.jpg
battery holder

bit of a mission to find secondhand 25mm rear hubs so end up buying new ones.25mm pillow block bearings and 25mm sprocket carrier. another mission was looking for a 25mm axle, Opting to 25mm aluminium tube .

Photo05.jpg
rear axle

Photo03.jpg
rear axle

Photo14.jpg
rear axle
Last edited by Coopz on Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Coopz
Photo04.jpg
side view

Started working on the rear frame.bit of trial and error in this department,will see how much strenghtening is needed in this design as i will end up making up a aluminium frame.

Photo07.jpg
rear view motor frame

Photo08.jpg
under view motor frame

installed a 48v 1000w unit motor.

Photo09.jpg
motor install

Photo06.jpg
motor side view

put it back together to see how it looks, just over the halfway mark to finish Lightning.
My young bloke sunny is looking forward to testing this car out.

Photo15.jpg
checking the body fits back together
Photo15.jpg (46.85 KiB) Viewed 4675 times
By wired
Best looking Mcqueen I've seen. Please keep us posted on the progress.
Last edited by wired on Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
By toycrusher
Doing it right!

You should seriously consider building in a roll bar loop into the frame. Even through the cars CG is low, the kid driving it has a high CG, sticky rubber, short wheelbase, TONS OF POWER = very high rollover risk. With your skills it wouldn't take much to do something like this

imag014.jpg
imag014.jpg (14.25 KiB) Viewed 4662 times
By toycrusher
What's the reason for the overhaul?
By toycrusher
That's so much fun it should be illegal! :P Really good to see him wearing a helmet, safety first cause kids are a hassle to replace :shock: :? Ok bad joke. Good to see you setting the example! :D
By Coopz
This car has to be my favourite build and Sunny's to by the looks of it. No helmet, no ride policy with these cars that are beyond the 12v range in our household.also if any kid breaks the rules there license gets suspended for the weekend.happens from time to time on serious breaches like crossing the road with out being told to etc etc. @toycrusher
By Coopz
No mechanical brake just the regen brake in the controller,back off the gas pedal and it kicks in. Simple and very effective.these are the controllers I use,Australian made.

https://www.motiondynamics.com.au/12v-3 ... model.html
By redline
Coopz wrote:pretty sure it was B @redline,i only hook up the reverse switch and bridge the on/off switch as i run a isolater on the positive line from the battery to the controller.

Ahh nice ... you run just the single motor right? It should run dual motors ok though?
By Kombicol
First of all, really neat build. Love it.
So, interested in these controllers you are using also.
Looks like a neat way to eliminate a lot of the relays used with the standard ESC method folks are applying.
Do you need one of those special golf cart accelerator pedals that provide a SPST contact on release of the accelerator, or is all this done from inside the controller based on the hall sensor input (or lack thereof).
For applications with multiple motors have you tried to run series for reverse and low speed or do you run a single speed for all gears?
By Coopz
the controller can be used with twist throttles or foot pedals,yes they are simple for wiring and the regen braking eleminatesa second pedal.reverse function is simple as well but the speed can not be adjusted.ive tryed putting a pentimeter on the control line of the pedal but it didnt do anything.why? i'm not sure. dual motors is a easy set up using the controller.check out the video on motion dynmaics page it has the run down on the controller.
Largest safe fuse?

Thank you! Swapped to a 40amp and that seemed to […]

Thanks for the info. I am thinking of upgrading th[…]

Taz, I am looking for a full steering linkage for[…]

Hey all, I just need to clear up a couple things […]

HobbyMasters