KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Use this area as your personal project pages or blog! Each thread belongs to one user as a project page!
By odt
Hello and first of all, scuse me for my bad english....

This is my second project and as for the first, i would like to show it to you.
It is was a Gaucho 12v and i have mounted 2 Gaucho 24v motors and tires.
The motors, are powered by 2 12v batteries + 1 6v battery, so, they are powered by 30v total.
Lights, accessories and controller, are powered by another 12v battery placed under the seat.
Every battery, has its own battery charger. When i power the "service battery", some relais connect the 3 "motor battery" in order to have 30v. When the "service battery" turns off, the relais disconnect the 3 "motor batteries", so i can recharge these.

The main controller, is an "Arduino" board. I have programmed it in order to simulate a real-car engine behaviour, so, now, the Gaucho has a different power-torque for first gear, second gear and "turbo-mode".

This is the front battery place.

motoreebatterie.jpg

And this is Arduino board with some relays controlling main lights, rear lights (when rear-gear), direction lights and some other services.

Schedafarifreccieriduttore.jpg

And this is the "Syren" controller for powering the motors. On the up, you can see the motor-connection relais.

syrenerele.jpg
Attachments
motoreebatterie.jpg
By odt
I have installed a Logitech throttle and brake potentiometer....

pedali.jpg

Brake, is an "electronic" brake...

When i press the brake, the motor power goes from actual power to zero power so fast as i press the brake....
For example, if i am going at 10 speed and i leave the throttle, i go to zero speed (stop) in "x" time.
If i press the electronic brake, the more i press, the faster is the "x" time to go to zero speed (stop).

When i try to stop the car pressing the brake and the speed is zero, the car, has a little inertia. So, the elecronic brake, when the motor is set to "zero power", give a very little reverse-power in order to completely stop.
By odt
Then, i have built a tachometer.

I have inserted two magnetic into a front tire:

magnetetacho.jpg

Then, i have placed a magnetic contact on the front bar:

rilevazionetacho.jpg

So, when tire rolls 1 time, i have 2 contacts. Calculating with Arduino the time from a contact and the other, i have the speed.
By odt
This is the front of the car where i have placed the three battery-charger dedicated to the three front battery .

motorchargers.jpg

The fourth battery charger is on the rear of the car, under the seat togheter with the "service battery".

All the battery-chargers are connected togheter so, it is easy to recharge the car.
On the rear of the car, i have modifyed the original fuel-door:

fuelclosed.jpg

Opening this, you can see the plug for recharging all the batteries:

fuelopened.jpg

fuelopened2.jpg
By odt
Under the "water-cap", there is the usb-cable for connecting to a Pc:

usbcable.jpg

And programming the Arduino board

mapping.jpg
By odt
Then, i have made a new dashboard:

gauchocoockpit.jpg

Onn the left side, i have placed motor-voltmeter and service-voltmeter.

quadrolatopass.jpg

On the right side, i have placed light-btton, high-light-button, all-direction-blinking-lights-button (i don't know how to translate this button....) and turbo-mode-button.
On the rear of the steering wheel, there is the lever for the blinking-direction-light.
The buttons, are taken from a real car.

quadrolevafreccie.jpg
Last edited by odt on Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
By odt
The dashboard has speedometer, rpm meter (the more you press throttle, the more rpm goes up), and other useful lights like a real car.
Obviously, the horn is a real-car horn.

quadro.jpg
By odt
On the rear of the car, i have mounted a red bag and a rear-bumper.
Under the bumper, there are the reverse-lights. These turns automatically on when the driver insert the reverse-gear.

gauchopost.jpg

gauchopostluci.jpg
By toycrusher
It's going to take a while to get my jaw up off the floor...

Just wow...

Ok, question, which motors do you have? The 700-series metal cans or the giant scooter motors?
By odt
edac wrote:Nice work. How fast is it?

My weight is 82Kg.
While i was testing driving it, in first gear, Gaucho goes 5Km/h. In second gear 11Km/h and in second gear with turbo-mode on, 16Km/h.
Probably, driving my little son weighting only 20 Kg, Gaucho can go a little faster.....

Obviously, in turbo mode is the maximum speed i can get with 30v.
In the other gears, i can set the speed as i want.

But the most beautiful thing is that i can "set" the power-torque as i want simulating a real-engine behaviour in every gear, exactly as i want....

Pressing throttle pedal in first gear, for example, has a different behaviour from pressing it in second gear or in "turbo-mode". This is because i can set every parameters as i want controlling the motors from Arduino board.
Driving this car, is really funny even for an adult!
Last edited by odt on Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By odt
Hale1320 wrote:WOW, that is sweet. Way above my ability level.

No, i don't think....... You can do everything surely better than me because i am only an human like you....
By odt
toycrusher wrote:It's going to take a while to get my jaw up off the floor...

Just wow...

Ok, question, which motors do you have? The 700-series metal cans or the giant scooter motors?

The motors i have placed are the giant scooter motors mounted on the first Gaucho 24v model.
By odt
I made the new Gaucho dashboard copying the graphical dashboard and usying the buttons of the italian rally-car i love and i own from many many years......

car_photo_571597.jpg
By 6772owner
That is very, very cool! A lot great features and tech built into this one!!
By odt
6772owner wrote:That is very, very cool! A lot great features and tech built into this one!!

Many people uses standard controllers with no customization.
Arduino board, let you program the car behaviour as you want......
By odt
Siegelracing wrote:WOW! What an inspiration! Can you tell us what Logitech pedals you used? Do you know the resistance?

I don't know what Logitech pedals they are because tey are an old toy....
And i don't know the resistence because using them with Arduino board it is not important. Connecting the pedals to an analog input, i have in my hands a value in this case, between 870 and 170. So, i can set te interval from 870 (pedal not pressed) and 170 (pedal fully pressed) as i want......
For example, i can set a "slow-torque" with a little power-increase in the range 870/500...... then, a little more torque in the range 500/300, then a little more torque from 300 to 170.
I can set max speed fully pressing pedal in first gear that obviously is different from max speed fully pressing pedal in second gear or in turbo-mode.
In this way, i can give to the Gaucho a real-car behaviour!
By Tex1
Congrats from a fellow Italian Gaucho owner. Veramente bello e curatissimo, complimenti davvero. Vorrei avere la voglia e la tenacia di imbarcarmi in un progetto così :)
One question: was it hard to fit the 24v motors in place of the 12v ones? was that the reason why you upgraded the wheels also to Super Gaucho? Did super gaucho motors+wheels fit directly the Gaucho tub?
By Glorydays
Incredible work! Way beyond my capabilities. But where is the plastic Pope on the dashboard? We never left home in my Gramps car with out em, maybe just an Italian American thing! Salute! Ciao. ;)
7R transplant into a 7 Gearbox

I read the main thread about this and it seemed li[…]

on the motors like 20 amps per motor?

14V Motors

It doesnt matter what the voltage of the motor is […]

Burning up Banebot 775 Motors

I have Dune Racer myself and there aren't much spa[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course