KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Use this area as your personal project pages or blog! Each thread belongs to one user as a project page!
By toycrusher
** edit 6/12/17 ** I am wrapping up this project almost a year-to-the-day since I started it. Terribly sad :cry:

Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure I haven't started any kind of build or mod thread since moving to the new forum... :? kinda sad :cry:

And the title is misleading, the controller I'm using could theoretically push 2,640 watts but stock PW motors won't pull over 750 :lol:

So it's just another 24v Mustang with lighting. I still have some Superpower scooter motors I'm planning on installing along with a huge lift to clear the Superpower wheels... but not today. I built a sub floor to hold 18ah batteries under the seat and we'll see how it goes from here! :)

2016-07-04 16.52.44.jpg

2016-07-04 17.52.47.jpg

2016-07-04 17.52.56.jpg

2016-07-04 17.53.19.jpg

2016-07-05 06.12.11.jpg
I am interested in seeing how this turns out, I like the battery placement.
6772owner wrote:I am interested in seeing how this turns out, I like the battery placement.

I don't know who was the first to come up with this idea but I loved it and now I'm doing it!

Any paint ideas yet?

My daughter is obsessed with pink so not much in the way of paint. Maybe a black racing stripe. Considering white for the rims... anybody have other ideas?
I think the pink and white or pink and black would be cool.
MR_Pat wrote:could always do a black carbon vinyl stripe or stripes and use a pink carbon vinyl between the stripes on the hood . sorry im a carbon fiber freak.. I prefer the real thing but the vinyl is a little more realistic for kids powerwheels.

Hmmm... might try carbon stripe

Got a little more work done. Standard lighting eagle eye and strip lights for tail and underglow
Basic stuff. My kids are always pulling PIT maneuvers on each other so I don't worry too much about cosmetic, it will get worse quickly! :x :roll:

2016-07-12 20.47.59.jpg

2016-07-12 23.15.30.jpg

2016-07-12 21.39.47.jpg

2016-07-12 23.05.50.jpg

2016-07-12 20.48.25.jpg

2016-07-12 22.32.46.jpg

2016-07-12 22.34.44.jpg
Roadmonkeytj wrote:I like those led modules any further info on them? Were you doing brake lights on this Or just tails?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20PCS-3LED-Modu ... 0L_vyUsqgg

Pretty easy to use and cheap. Just doing tail lights
Looking good, love the lighting.
Going to go with a foot pedal from a Razor Crazy Kart. It's a 5 wire throttle with the switch that's activated when pedal is not depressed, that means I can use it for an auto brake instead of a separate brake pedal. Mustang's don't have a ton of floor board space so that will come in handy. They are also really compact, easy to push, and cheap! :twisted:

2016-07-16 21.27.21.jpg

2016-07-16 21.27.28.jpg

2016-07-16 21.27.32.jpg

2016-07-16 21.27.46.jpg

2016-07-16 21.30.08.jpg

2016-07-16 21.34.03.jpg
That's a great pedal transformation. How well would you think it would work implemented on a stock setup? I'd imagine it's not capable of the higher voltage not using an esc, but if the pedal down wires were all attached to relays, think it would cause chatter? Or maybe slight pedal depression to 1/2 throttle to stock, and pedal to the metal send signal to CJB turbo timer? I haven't seen his connection method, so I'm unsure, and of course know nothing of the pedal, but think something like that would work? Ya know, off=off, full press = fast, slight press = slow. Just thinking out loud
Charlie,
That's just a standard 3-wire hall effect pedal. It NEEDS an esc to operate.
Hall-effect pedals take a 5v input from the ESC (one of the "3" wires) and they return a 1v to 4v reference signal back to the ESC (on another of the "3" wires). The 1-4v reference signal is proportional to how far the pedal is pushed down. The third wire is negative.
That particular pedal just happens to also have a 2-wire normally-closed on/off switch built-in for braking (that's why it's called a 5-wire pedal).

Toycrusher,
That pedal is a cool way to add auto-braking to an ESC ride (even though I really like a separate brake pedal).
Last edited by Rob222 on Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Suburbancharlie77 wrote:Ah, thanks Rob! Didn't take into account the 2 extras being a separate switch ;-)
Was hoping for some variable pedal action... slightly realistic
Oh well, next time.

Charlie, once you do your first ESC you'll be hooked, won't want to do anything else. It's not that difficult once you get one under your belt ;)
Suburbancharlie77 wrote:That's not what I fear!
It's waking up next to the beast after she gets the credit card statement =0

I like to casually stroll through the power wheels isle with my wife and say something like, "Wow! $450 for that little truck? You know, I can build two twice as good for half that much money! Aren't you glad I'm good at modding these things? Just think of all the money we've saved!"... ;)
Roadmonkeytj wrote:Is the black cover necessary if it's mounted in the old switch hole? Did you have to cut to fit? Looks like it's about stock pedal size does it hold up well?

Cover is not necessary. It's about the same size as the stock pedal. I am going to have to trim a bit because the bottom of the pedal extends downward. I'll update when i actually get it installed. As far as durability, it has a good track record on the razor crazy cart so I'm confident :)
toycrusher wrote:

I like to casually stroll through the power wheels isle with my wife and say something like, "Wow! $450 for that little truck? You know, I can build two twice as good for half that much money! Aren't you glad I'm good at modding these things? Just think of all the money we've saved!"... ;)

Haha I wish that worked on mine ... She still sees that 200 lol I have to convince her it's her idea ... Than I'm golden lol. Of course she saw how fast these go on 18v and how much out son loved it so I just gotta give him the taste and let her see it lol
toycrusher wrote:

Haha I wish that worked on mine ... She still sees that 200 lol I have to convince her it's her idea ... Than I'm golden lol. Of course she saw how fast these go on 18v and how much out son loved it so I just gotta give him the taste and let her see it lol.
Instead I get the hey I found this one can you fix it? Lol
Roadmonkeytj wrote:
toycrusher wrote:

Haha I wish that worked on mine ... She still sees that 200 lol I have to convince her it's her idea ... Than I'm golden lol. Of course she saw how fast these go on 18v and how much out son loved it so I just gotta give him the taste and let her see it lol

LoL thats same boat I'm in... once she see's the kids outside having a blast im golden.. problem is getting them there before she finds out how much I have into the projects
And at the TERRIFYING speed of molasses...

An itty bitty bit of progress, got the throttle pedal installed. I will report back on how well it works. I went for a hall-effect pedal only to later realize my controller works better with a normal pot. I'm actually having a headache trying to figure out how to wire it. The controller does not put out a 5v reference signal, has only the wiper input. That would seem to indicate that I need to add a 5v circuit to the car just for the pedal. The destructions aren't all that clear. :x

2016-08-21 16.38.47.jpg

2016-08-21 17.02.42.jpg

2016-08-21 16.38.39.jpg
So i haven't touched it and probably won't be able to for a few more weeks :(

I had some concerns because this controller does not supply 5v for the throttle pedal. I'm using a 24v to 5v step down to get around that. Motors are just going to be stock for now. With the controller in place I can upgrade to scooter motors in the future.

The pedal in using is version 5. Not sure what the difference is but I'm hoping they are improving with each version ;)
October's come to a close, we're going off daylight savings time, I should be able to start making a little progress now :roll: :x

Decided on running 14" wheels. I don't like the purple but my baby girl had to have them. Had to do some fender trimming. I'm undecided on what I'll do up front. I have some pink MF jeep wheels that I may try to figure out how to put up front. Spindle's too short and I'm not sure I want to make a longer one. We'll see...

2016-10-29 17.12.28.jpg

2016-10-29 17.11.57.jpg

2016-10-29 17.12.59.jpg
You could use some cake pans to for the front wheels, then the spindles can remain short. :-)
Life has a way of putting a damper on fun... :(

I have been so busy I'm running into serious danger of my little girl growing out of powerwheels before I ever get to finish the stupid thing. As such I abandoned some of my plans and went for tried and true (even if boring...) equipment.

I ditched the programmable forklift controller and just installed an old LBD-14 I had lying in the spare parts pile. Just going with a basic lighted switch for main power and lights.

2017-02-11 23.48.11.jpg

I struggled with getting axles to fit my desired wheels. Ended up using some Pex tubing as a bushing / spacer up front to fit old MF wheels. They are a bit narrower and smaller diameter than the stock Mustang wheels. The axles were too short so I had to just screw the hub caps to the wheels.

In the back, I used a Peg Perego RZR axle because it was almost the right width. Unfortunately it's 1/2" instead of 7/16" like the Mustang. I drilled out the wheels and drivers. Getting the axle through the body was a major chore but it finally went. I like the stance though I wish I could find 14" slicks instead of mudders...

I still have plenty of work to do but there's a faint light at the end of the tunnel now! :D

2017-02-12 00.00.22.jpg
By toycrusher
So almost a year later it's finally done. My girl was in danger of outgrowing it before it was ready! :x

I had to cut out more of the plastic sub floor to fit the 18 AH batteries on their tray. I used pieces of anti-fatigue mat for battery hold downs. I really regret using that thick stainless for the battery tray. Not only is it super heavy, it's darn near impossible to cut or drill! :x :x I broke and burned out several drill bits, sawzall blades, and cutoff wheels trying to get this thing together.

2017-06-11 14.24.43.jpg

I ran studs through the inner back wall so I could have charge ports for each battery individually aside from the 24v charge port integrated into the ESC. This lets me charge the two batteries separately if they get out of balance.

2017-06-11 17.01.24.jpg

Over all maiden voyage went very smoothly. She's happy so I'm happy :D
2017-06-11 21.09.21.jpg
2017-06-11 21.09.14.jpg
2017-06-11 21.09.07.jpg
By toycrusher
Suburbancharlie77 wrote:How in the world are you able to charge separately, when they're wired in series?

I have separate leads coming off each battery. Takes two battery chargers. I actually have a 2 bank charger so the one charger can be connected to two batteries at the same time. Otherwise it would not be possible without a relay and some creativity.
MT F150 with some mods

I feel like i have looked everywhere for donor tai[…]

Classic Mercedes R/C upgrade + toys

Tiny update: - Removed the steering motor now - m[…]

Custom Paw Patrol Jeep Project

Very cool. I thought about stealing your decal id[…]

This should help. The relay now looks like it's r[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course