KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Use this area as your personal project pages or blog! Each thread belongs to one user as a project page!
By 6772owner
Hello All,

With the Corvette build wrapped up I have my sights set on the next project. The plan is to take two Jeeps and make one stretched 6 wheel monster, 4 motors/gearboxes (Rear axles) w/24V ESC setup, lots of LED's, custom paint, possibly some vinyl wrap, etc.

We'll see how it goes after I get started.

These are the two victims, a side of the road find and a $20 C/L purchase. I already have a second rear lift module to create the dual lifted rear axles. I am still looking for two more motors/gearboxes, a pair of Escalade wheels/tires and a pair of center caps.

By Suburbancharlie77
This I've got to see!
Are you planning to drive the front tires also? Only asking cuz I've been reading a lot of the threads about doing this, 6x, and there's been much discussion about restricted turning radius combined with a want to push.

Also, I'm not sure how many people were using an esc, but there was talks of switching the wires to the motors, something about if you got high centered. So even if one wheel is free to spin, a wheel on the ground should hopefully get you moving???

Are you planning to have any level of suspension? I forget who it was, maybe taz or crusher, had tried a double pivot axle on the rear, but it proved to be too much, and to get the wanted travel, the amount of height required had the body sitting too high for comfort.

Roughly how much do you plan to stretch? Planning to go with a flat filler, or more along the lines of body to body?

Thinking of having a flatbed portion, or front and rear seats?

Sorry for bombarding you, I've been tossing the same idea around for quite some time, but starting it out stock, then IF it would work out as planned, eventually getting an esc?
I had torn down one with doors, in hopes of getting to use 4 doors, but the way they pivot off the windshield just didn't allow it.

I certainly wish you the best of luck with all the different types of mods this is going to take, and with the way you thoroughly detail both your posts and builds, I'm very excited to be a witness!
Let me know if you'd like some of the threads linked, I think I either saved like bookmarks or commented on most of the ones I felt to be useful, so I can easily find them when I attempt my hand at it. I look forward to all the inspiration and ideas, and certainly wish I was much closer, to lend a hand.
By 6772owner
Thank you sir, I have had the idea in the works for awhile and now just need to execute it. I dont plan on powering the front wheels at this point, I guess it would technically be a 4x6 (or 6x4?). I plan on using dual ESC's for the two axles and hope that the vehicle will still turn. I may add some traction to just the front wheels to minimize the "push".

I believe that they just wire the motors in parallel vs series (cant remember which is which effect at this time).

I dont plan on any suspension at this time, I may go to pneumatic tires, but Id rather not at this time. I think that the extra length and weight would be too much on the gearboxes and the traction would probably hurt the ability to maneuver/turn as well.

The stretch isnt going to be huge, the current plan is to cut one tub at the back of the side step in the body (the little side entry step on each side) and cut the other at the front of the step. So basically the amount of stretch is the length of that step area (3-4 inches?) and allow me to hide the cut as much as possible. I will probably use plastic welder for the visible seams and maybe plastic filler or the heat gun if necessary. I think the main floor will get a thin sheet of diamond plate or similar and I will add angle aluminum "frame rails" under the tub for support. I think I will run the rails all the way forward and rear ward as much as possible.

I think I will just have a flat bed portion behind the seat and possibly install a small tool box with removable floor to access the batteries and other items. I havent really made any decisions that far ahead at this time.

I find it much easier to just wire it once and make the mods for the ESC upfront, but that is personal preference and budget.

Ok, I may have to consider that, I hadnt really thought about linking them. I appreciate the help!
By Suburbancharlie77
Alright, I'll dig around and post them to another reply. Are you speaking of permatex/Devon plastic welder 2 part epoxy, or like a soldering iron? With the additional axle, weight shouldn't be that much of an issue? I think series is low, and parallel is high, but could be wrong. And that's a clever way to cover a set of motors, with a tool box!
By toycrusher
I intend to finish my 6x6 one of these days :roll: :x :lol:

I purchased a harbor freight plastic welder to do the body work that I never got around to. It's basically a fan blowing hot air at the plastic and you get the plastic melted and then work in a filler rod. I had medium success on some test pieces. I found that in an impact the filler rod would break free from the piece, but that's probably because I wasn't doing it 100% right...

Hope you the best! :D
By Suburbancharlie77
Yeah I had recently picked up a Harbor Freight plastic welder it says that it is 1300 Watt plastic welding kit with air motor and temperature adjustment item number 96712 I haven't yet tried it but I have been in the process of stripping down cars I don't care about for the filler rod to use the equivalent plastic since I have found Power Wheels don't use a standard plastic. It had some decent reviews, so I'm hoping that it'll work better than an epoxy. Pegs seem to be a standard pe or hdpe, where Fischer Price isn't a standard available plastic, as it's a nonrecycleable proprietary blend, and they (Fischer Price) won't divulge the info of its contents, to best match an adhesive. I've spent hours on reading about that as well, with no significant answers. =(
By 6772owner
Suburbancharlie77,
I was just speaking of the normal epoxy based plastic welder. I wasnt even thinking about the actual plastic welders, but I may have to look into that now. They just opened up a brand new Harbor Freight close to my house, so thats a bonus.

Im not sure about the weight/length/traction factors yet, there isnt a ton of experience with this configuration that I could find. I think I will either build a bed floor or some kind of toolbox, it depends on how everything looks when I get to that point. I am considering building a 6 point "roll cage" for it as well, but we'll see.

The plastic does seem to be an issue, but I hope to have enough left over material to patch everything up after both tubs are cut up. I havent really tried to join two pieces back together well enough for paint yet...

Toycrusher,
I appreciate the input, Im not sure what will work best at this point, its all new territory for me personally. I had hoped that you would be further along so that I could just copy yours! Ha Ha I am always glad to hear from you and we'll see how it goes, hoping to start on it soon.
Last edited by 6772owner on Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
By 6772owner
Thanks man! That thing is cool, I received my blue LED halo's and underbody lights yesterday, so the parts pile is growing already...

No biggie on the links, Im not in a hurry at this point.
By 66deuce
Should be pretty neat! I've thought about doing another substantial build, but I only have one kid, too many projects, and his red Rangler is pretty insane, should last him through to gas powered toys!

Always thought it'd be really cool to do a miniature deuce, though!

And a small nitpick, but if you're only powering the 4 rears, it's not a 6x6 ;-) I say go for the gold and drive the fronts, too!
By Suburbancharlie77
That'd be a bit of fabrication there, and probably be best with rubber wheels to allow room and steering traction. Unless he makes his own extended metal 90 degree front axles, and extends the rears to sit out as wide, then produced some fat fender flares. I wonder how some conveyor belt rubber material would take to the contours of a wheel well as a flare? That could make that a tad more doable?
I'll get the model numbers later today and hopefully it'll be of assistance in finding stickers?? And will get to the links probably on Tuesday ;-)
By 6772owner
66duece,

Thank you, I am probably building this one to sell, my daughter already has the Escalade is probably getting too big for these things anyway. You are correct on the 6x6, I realized that after digging into this more, so its really a 4x6 I guess... Im not interested in getting into all it would take to power the front wheels at this point, I hate the width that it adds to the front axle (w/o a lot of fabrication).

Suburbancharlie77,

I agree, its more than I care to get into for this build. I would like to build a dedicated metal frame rig with true 4wd, but that is not in the cards for this build. I did see someone that used the power chair gear box's that have the motor mounted 90* to the drive output... That might be a good option, otherwise Id want to build a "solid axle" and use scooter motors.
By Suburbancharlie77
I didn't reread all of this, and know your doing a jeep build, but forget who was asking about the silverado model numbers??? I just looked, and apologize for not sending it sooner, but my saw blade has no model tag, and my silverado is labeled as "Chevy silverado new" model number 74310-9997
Sorry if it wasn't you. I'll work on some doubled ride links now.....
By Suburbancharlie77
Discussion about how to wire 6 motors, he was making a powered trailer

http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/foru ... C_ID=13055

This takes a skid steer and makes for a jeep lift and Power front axle

http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/foru ... C_ID=13583

6x6 gator build

http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/foru ... C_ID=14338

And I know I had a few more, but can't find them? I tried looking at what I've emailed myself, but due to post notifications, I've got over 30 pages of emails to dig through! So I'll keep looking and post them here, below the line, and date them. If/when I find the one or two other good ones I'm thinking of (articulating axle and I forget the other) I'll post a reminder to scroll up to the links here.

________________________________________________________________________________

For future updates and more links
By 6772owner
I'm not the one buddy, I have no idea what you are talking about. ;-)

Cool, I really appreciate it!
By 6772owner
Ha Ha, I understand, it happens!
By 6772owner
Sorry all, I got distracted with a freebie my buddy gave me, trying to crank this one out so that I can fund the 6x6 build a little easier...

As dropped off.

Rewired to an SLA battery, trailer plug for charging, resistors for soft breaking, studs for power and ground connections.

LED Lighting, eagle eyes and new taillights.

Also getting pneumatic tires because its cheaper than replacing the originals and its all about modifying right?

By 6772owner
For sure, I want to be able to do justice on the 6x6 build, so I need a little more money for that. My goal is to make enough on the current build to pay for the next one, its easier to justify the builds with wifey that way... Ha Ha

I also have a Charger Police Car that was a dumpster find, hoping to clean it up and turn it as well.
By 6772owner
I would love to build one like that with two of the F150 Raptors, but I have never been able to get one, let alone two. Ha Ha
By Suburbancharlie77
Ya, I missed out on 2 that had each been reasonably priced, and any others since have been listed at $200!
But that would be awesome!
I've also been curious about making fender flares for a dually. But all that may just be a pipe dream, as I've not really played with "plastic creation" or have quite the toy funds I used too
By 6772owner
Man that sucks buddy!

I would think flares would be pretty easy, just cut out a section of a 5 gallon bucket or trash can?
By 6772owner
No problem, I was just trying to think of stuff that was already curved... You could cut it extra wide and use that material to bend @ 90* for mounting tabs (obviously you'd have to pie cut for those on a radius).
By 6772owner
Cool, let me know how it works! ;-)
By Wykydtron
I know a guy that had a big tires on his truck and he got a repair order for his tires sticking out to far. He made flares out of industrial vinyl baseboard. It actually looked pretty good.
By 6772owner
That is a good idea as well, you can also buy universal flares from Pacer Performance (Flexy Flares)I believe.
By 6772owner
Sorry for the lack of updates, I got distracted with another quick flip and just finished/sold it on Saturday. I then started tearing into the Charger Police Car so that I can get it done and out the door for X-Mas. I am hoping to be able to focus on the Jeep project as soon as the Charger is completed.

Thanks for hanging with me all.

ATV, Before:

Added Eagle Eyes for the headlights and small strips for the taillight, also made a custom two piece taillight lense so that you dont see the LED's in the daytime.

After:

By 6772owner
Here are the pics of the Charger Project (distraction #3 from the six wheeled Jeep).

By Suburbancharlie77
Hey 6772Owner, mind posting a picture of where you can find the chargers circuit board? There's a member here with one that only has high speed, and no reverse? I'd heard the relays clicking up in the dashboard, but haven't torn it down, figure I'll wait till its ugly cold outside to take it away from her grandson. Or just lemme know what you have to pull out to gain access to it? Thanks
By 6772owner
Suburbancharlie,

I would assume that would be an issue with the shifter switches, not the circuit board. It is my understanding from playing with this one that the circuit board is switched on with the key ignition which powers the accessories (light bar, sound and charger indicator) and allows power to reach the shifter/motors. I would start with checking/cleaning the shifter switches and seeing what that does first. If all of the vehicle functions work otherwise, I doubt its the circuit board personally.
By 6772owner
No problem, let me know what you find out, I am curious to see what the solution is.
By 6772owner
Update:

Ok, Im sorry all, I ended up building all three of the Jeeps I had separately for X-Mas presents... I am currently on the hunt for a few more candidates to try this 6 wheel creation again. I will keep this build updated as I progress.

Thanks for looking!
By Suburbancharlie77
Head east.... I've got a donor ready to see this through!
Hope your Christmas and New Years went well.
I apologize for the cards getting lost in the mail.

Oh, and I've not looked at the dodge cruiser yet, I'll be giving it a few weeks and then contacting Lolly from this forum to finish up the fire truck she ordered Anderson plugs for. Making the 12/12 for the fire truck work with the police cruiser, and an adapter for the charger. Then I'll dig into the shifter.
By 6772owner
Thanks buddy, I appreciate it, Ill let you know if I get desperate... The Jeeps usually arent that hard to find around here, I just need to finish up 3 or 4 other projects in the works.

The holidays were good, hope yours were as well. Dont worry about the cards. LOL

That sounds like fun to me!
By 6772owner
Ok all, I have purchased two Jeeps dedicated to this build and will be jumping back into this concept after I finish a few other projects. I think this will actually be a 6x4 as I wont be powering the front wheels at this point.

Stay tuned for updates in the next few months.
By 6772owner
No problem buddy, I have enough irons in the fire at this point anyway. LOL

Oh OK. I bet he means to put the diode on the ba[…]

Chevy Silverado SawBlade

Hi I have spare parts Silverado are you needing th[…]

You had a bad connection at the melted area. Most[…]

New to Modding

I've been wanting to play with these cars for a wh[…]

HobbyMasters