KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Use this area as your personal project pages or blog! Each thread belongs to one user as a project page!
By WalterWhite
Hi guys,

I picked up a Peg Perego Gaucho Grande for my son's birthday a few days ago.

This was it when I got it:

I got the Jeep for a pretty good price, but it did have one pretty big issue. The Jeep has been used only on concrete... it's never seen mud, so the 'tyres' were worn down to within an inch of their lives:

Being in the UK I had a nightmare finding a new set of wheels that didn't cost a fortune. TigerImports has loads in stock, but the postage alone was almost $200 to get them to UK, plus the $35 for each of the 4 wheels I needed.

I ended up finding a guy in Ireland who had all 4 brand new and shipped them over to me (should arrive tomorrow), although they still cost more than I paid for the whole Jeep! (No such thing as a bargain)...

The car is now partially stripped sitting in my garage awaiting the new wheels.

One thing I couldn't work out was how to remove the yellow inserts inside the rear wheels. The front wheel inserts just pulled out, but the rears feel as if they're about to snap if I pull any harder... Any ideas?

After a good clean, i decided that the stickers on the hood (bonnet for us in the UK) had to go. The problem was that the yellow hood plastic is now faded and you can see where the stickers were.

I can't get hold of the correct stickers, looks like they stopped making them years ago. I found a thread on here with some copies of the stickers but the links were all broken and abandoned back in 2012 by the looks of it :-(

Any tricks out there to bring back the colour of the yellow hood?
By Wykydtron
I'm curious to see what other people say about the fading. I had limited success darkening some stress marks on my daughter's PW jeep with a heat gun. Maybe try that and or do some polishing with plastic polish?

I have no idea of that will work, so maybe you should try other suggestions first.

Can't wait to see how things progress!
By 67camaro496
i believe the the hubcap for the rear has a plastic "tube" that fits into the rear tire"in the center" i will look tonight and see. best bet is to look at the back of the back tire and see if you can see they yellow "tube". Then get a flathead and see if you can LIGHTLY work it out. will sent a pic tomorrow
By WalterWhite
I fitted the new shoes last night, decided to keep the original yellow wheel inserts rather than the flat silver ones the wheels came with. (Also worked out that the rear inserts do come out pretty easily with some gentle persuasion with a long screwdriver)

I was also thinking of painting the front grill, but after reading nothing but bad reviews of chrome paint and deciding that painting it black wouldn't look good I decided to just get a new one, as I think the chrome grill pretty much sets the whole car off. If the grill looks poor, the car looks poor, so I ordered a brand new chrome grill complete with clear lenses (mine were all yellowed and faded) from eBay.

I managed to pop the old grill off by sliding a long screwdriver between the grill and the body and gently pushing on the side clips. I had previously read on here that the best way to remove it is to separate the body from the chassis but it was a 2 second job to do it this way :)

This is it now, just waiting for a couple more bits to arrive before I start putting it back together:

Still haven't decided on the best way forward with the hood though :(
By 67camaro496
looks like you got the hub caps. to get the hood off you need to look underneath the dash (possibly have to remove) you will see the yellow clip. push the two sides in on both sides and the hood will slide out. probably use automotive rubbing/polishing compound to clean up the hood. heating it will cause a mess and will not look right.
By 67camaro496
i painted the grille, exhaust not the cover and the hub caps on my gaucho grande and painted the grille and exhaust on the grande before i sold it. i have pics of hood removal but can't put them on site due to them being on my personal computer. i can email them to you if you want.
By easterr
I also painted the grill and exhaust pipes black. Although the paint came out very nice, I was not happy w/o chrome, so also replaced with new parts. The chrome grill does really look best, in my opinion.
By WalterWhite
Hi all,

Been a while since my last update.

Since the above I put the car back together, added a few small bits here and there and gave it a final clean ready for my son's birthday.

( I added the bonnet vents to try and hide the discoloration where the old graphics were removed from the hood)

This is how it looked when we gave it to him:

Originally I fitted it with a Leoch 12V 12ah SLA battery that we have been using in his Feber F430. It was pretty small and I had concerns about how long it would power the beast of a gaucho.

On it's first ever run we took it from our house to some local woods and it worked perfectly for about 20 minutes, then I could really tell it was starting to struggle. We made it about 80% of the way home and I had to push the final 20% as the battery had died completely by then.

I then bought a Leoch 12V 50AH SLA Deep Cycle battery from Eurocarparts (even got 40% off with a discount code!) and fitted it. It was almost exactly the same dimensions as the old car battery that the gaucho came with when we bought it. Until I can come up with something more permanent I added some polystrene to keep the new battery in place:

With the new battery fitted, we took it out again the next day, but this time instead of 20 minutes, the car was still going strong almost 2 hours (of constant use) later!

You may also have noticed that the original fake yellow plastic walkie talkie has been removed, and I fitted a Motorola T40 Walkie Talkie in it's place. This might seem overkill but we actually use them pretty much constantly when we're out as he can't hear me shouting over the noise from the gaucho and he tends to go miles ahead of me. I'm constantly on the Walkie saying "turn around", "let these people past", "stop before the road" etc. They are red too so match the interior of the gaucho!

Mostly the people we have come across while we're out think it's great and he gets loads of positive comments, but you always have the odd person or two that is annoyed by it. The last time we went out to a trail around the (huge) woods a woman stormed over to us saying we shouldn't be using it here as it is scaring her dogs... although they didn't look scared at all to me :roll: ...And if we can't use it on a massive (largely empty) wooded area that spans about ten miles square, where can we use it?!

Other than the above we have only had the following issues:

1) Every now and then the car will stop, the pedal is pressed to the floor but nothing. But if I push the car slightly or give it a nudge it springs back into life again and all is fine. I had the pedal off and cleaned the terminals a little but it still did it a couple of time. Could be the shifter maybe?

2) I did notice that after our ~2 hours session at the weekend I did notice that the wiring going to the battery did seem a little bit hot . It's just the standard Gaucho battery loom that the previous owner cut the terminals off and added a fuse to.

I guess this is probably because it was in 2 hours of constant use. I saw a few people on here have mentioned upgrading the wiring to a thicker gauge cable, but would this need doing throughout the car or just on the battery wiring?
By 67camaro496
Through out the car, pull the original harness and build a new one out of 10 gauge, after that I would go ahead and series a 6 volt battery to make 18 volts, then while you are at it run led's to the headlamps,foglamps and taillights
By hkayssi
Nice project,
The problem is probably the pedal switch I had that same exact problem and fixed it by taking apart the pedal switch and cleaning the carbon off the contacts then assembling with a zip tie. You can buy the switch on ebay too but it'll set you back about $15 + shipping.
No need to modify the wiring to run 18 volts.
I had the same problem with the hood too you can paint it and it will match 100% if you use this (depends on how faded your Gaucho is. Mine is barely faded)
[img]http://ace.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pACE3-20021552enh-z7.jpg[/img]
My little girl has an almost identical one and it seems I need the same parts you removed haha. I actually need the 2 hood stickers, the microphone and the roll bar light.
Oh, and you should've told the old lady that she shouldn't be walking her dogs over there, they were scaring the kid. She'll shut up ;) Some people can't see others having fun :roll:
Pinion Question

Ugggg.. anyone know of a 32p 10t for a 5mm shaft??

Can't access FAQ's

Is there any possibility of porting all the old th[…]

The stock 12v Gaucho wiring is marginal at 18v. Th[…]

John Deere Gator issue

My son was riding his gator and 2nd gear stopped w[…]

HobbyMasters