KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Use this area as your personal project pages or blog! Each thread belongs to one user as a project page!
By 6772owner
Hello All,

After my miscue with the 6x6 build, I decided to step back and start with a basic 4x4 build. I started out with a Jeep in pretty good shape, which meant I could avoid painting and concentrate on the mods.

I found some good/used motors and gearboxes for the front, some Mustang wheel drivers and used a set of wheels/tires I had from a previous build.

Here's the start:

Mocking up the front drive system:

Underbody lighting going in...

Working on the wiring front to rear.

By 6772owner
Continuing with the build, here are the tires I will using, they are from the older Jeeps, but it wont matter for this build. The original set for this Jeep had been chewed up pretty well by a dog (just enough on everyone that I didnt want to use them).

LED front marker lights

Testing out the lighting

Dash installed, with LED push-to-start, rocker switches for the auxillary lighting and factory radio wired to the main battery with a step down (I hate dealing with separate batteries).

My bro cut me a license plate on his CNC Plasma table, the customer owns a business here so I thought it was fitting.

I did decide to paint some of the grey items white to break it up a little bit.

Front bumper painted and installed, I used LED driving lights in place of the stock covers and tinited them for looks.

Windshield frame was painted as well and I added functional mirrors.

By 6772owner
More progress, I also decided to paint the roll bar and will paint the light covers black to match the front bumper, no reason to make these functional in my opinion.

Next up was completing the front end, so I pressed steel sleeves into the steering pivot points on the module, bolted down some steel plates for support and then bent up some 7/16" rod for the axles/spindles. I used shaft collars to retain the axles, washers and some grease for smooth movement.

For the rear, I used two sets of the longer Jeep drivers on each side to widen the rear. They are joined with a silicone coupler and hose clamps. I also filled the tires with expanding foam and made a new rear axle to accomodate the wider stance.

By taz11
Looks great. I like the extended height on the front axles to support the motors. Genius!

I had an idea for one of these that I wanted to try but never got to. If you want to tuck in the front tires a bit more (in case you wanted to try ;) ) I think you can hole saw the inside of the wheel. Then take a standard jeep driver and insert it inside the tire backwards so the drive webs are flush with the inside of the tire. That (if my calculations are correct) should bring the wheel in to just shy of rubbing on the gearbox...hopefully. I'd try it on a junk wheel just to be safe.
By toycrusher
Are you having camber issues with the lengthened spindles?
By 6772owner
Taz11, thanks, I got the idea from a builder in the FB group. That is a good idea, I used the Mustang drivers and mounted them flush to the wheel. The tire is pretty close to gearbox now... I think that it's about as narrow as I can be without extensive modification.

Toycrusher, funny you should ask, I'm actually having problems with that... I installed steel sleeves in the module and steel plates to reinforce the pivot points. I think I really should have put another steel crossbar at the top of the spindles (side to side) to reinforce it more. Probably could use more reinforcement of the front module as well. These are the things you learn after the first one... Ha Ha
By toycrusher
6772owner wrote:Taz11, thanks, I got the idea from a builder in the FB group. That is a good idea, I used the Mustang drivers and mounted them flush to the wheel. The tire is pretty close to gearbox now... I think that it's about as narrow as I can be without extensive modification.

Toycrusher, funny you should ask, I'm actually having problems with that... I installed steel sleeves in the module and steel plates to reinforce the pivot points. I think I really should have put another steel crossbar at the top of the spindles (side to side) to reinforce it more. Probably could use more reinforcement of the front module as well. These are the things you learn after the first one... Ha Ha

On one of my daughters lil jeeps I replaced the front end with spindles from a suzuki quad as well as the bigger wheels. Had to trim a lot of fender to make it all fit. The bigger spindles were already tall so I drilled a flat bar to use as a top brace because the camber issue was horrible!
By 6772owner
Ok thanks, I was afraid that was the solution, I appreciate it.
By 6772owner
Small update:

I finally finished the paint work for the Jeep; seat, hood latches, gas cap and steering wheel.

Razor quad

Question about a razor quad I'm sure someone has s[…]

Please let me know if K1w1ed doesn’t pick this up.[…]

7R transplant into a 7 Gearbox

Not totally clear on your question. You can direct[…]

Need some guidance 6v f150

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course