KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Use this area as your personal project pages or blog! Each thread belongs to one user as a project page!
By FishinInTheDark
Found this little gem locally on craigslist. Great cosmetic shape, I'm pretty sure it's complete aside from the cb microphone. Dude said it was his when he was a kid and he just found it when cleaning out his parent's house.

Unfortunately, it's making a nasty grinding noise when under load. Dug into it a bit and it looks like the plastic pinion issue. I wasn't able to positively ID the gear boxes, but I believe they're some form of #3 gearboxes.

Does anyone know the pitch on the 10T plastic pinions? Can I replace these with the 10t 32p robinson metal pinions? Or is my best bet to tap/set screw the plastic pinions onto new motors? Anyone had luck with the traxxas titan 21turn motors on 18v, or would I be better served with a 700 series motor?

Phase 1 of the project is just getting it running smoothly on the dual 6v wiring setup, probably with new motors.

Phase 2 would be going triple 6v batteries and full new wiring to do a 18/12v high/low setup.
By toycrusher
Nah, those are junk. Best thing to do is put it out on the curb and PM me your address so I can take that headache away from you... :lol:

On a serious note, I don't think I've EVER been more JEALOUS!!! Finding one at all is amazing and finding one in mint condition, that's just insane!

For your gearbox question, the FAQ has everything you'll ever need viewforum.php?f=41
By FishinInTheDark
Haha, I'll just leave it on the corner of 123 Fake St, Anytown USA :lol: My jaw dropped when I came across it, never expected to get so lucky. I've had my eyes peeled for a bigfoot or grave digger for a little more than a year, really happy to have found one in such good condition.

I got the grinding issue to go away for the time being by just pinching the metal clips onto the plastic pinions with a big pair of channel locks. I couldn't find anything in the FAQs about the pitch on the 10t plastic pinions, and I've read through most of the FAQs multiple times. If I'm going to replace the motors, I may as well get metal pinions while I'm at it, but I don't want to strip out the gearbox by using the wrong pitch pinion.

I've also read through the definitive gearbox FAQ a few times and my gearbox doesn't match the #3A or the old #3, but it does have the same plastic pinion. It's from that early metal frame era (I was told this one was from 1989) and from my research, should be a #3 of some sort, but I haven't seen any pictures that match up exactly. Doesn't help that a lot of the pictures in the FAQs are broken links now.
By toycrusher
Have you tried this mod? viewtopic.php?f=41&t=607
By FishinInTheDark
I've read about it and am considering it as my plan b for now. I ordered new motors and cheap metal 10t pinions today. If the new pinions aren't the right size, I'll tap/set the plastic ones to the new motors. For now I just pinched the metal clip a little tighter and that held fine for one riding session.

While I'm waiting for the motors/pinions to arrive, I think I'm going to try solving my furious rage regarding push nuts. I hate those things. I'm going to try threading the end of the axle and using a 7/16" nyloc nut instead. With as often as I'll be putting the wheels on/off to mess with stuff, it seems like a faster, less frustrating and more cost effective means of holding the wheels on. Has anyone tried this or have a reason to convince me it's a bad idea?
By Hammer-fm
It should work (they use this from the factory on at least some of the front axles). It may be better if you can left-hand thread the driver's side axle but that's a bit more of a pain.

You may also consider drilling a small (~1/8") hole and using a hitch pin/clip. I've been using that on several cars with good success -- as long as it clears the inside of the hubs/wheels; you would need a small metal washer between it and the wheel if the wheel face is at all uneven at the axle.

I was slightly hesitant to use it on higher-speed cars but haven't had any problems with them coming off or getting tweaked, even at 12mph on uneven dirt.
By toycrusher
Threading the axle is great solution because you can adjust preload. I've never actually gotten around to threading mine, just drilled them for pins. Works fine but sometimes I have to stack washers to get the tension I want. Plus, I haven't gotten around to buying a drill press and I tend to break bits trying to drill round stock by hand :x
By FishinInTheDark
Sweet, glad to hear that threading should work. Goodbye push nuts!

I've done the drilling and cotter pin solution to replace push nuts on the steering rod, but it's got a lot of slop to it. Doesn't matter so much to hold the steering rod in place, but seems like it could be a pain messing with washers and spacing on the wheels. Ordered the die and nyloc nuts, can't wait to get that together.
By toycrusher
Rob222 wrote:Set screw collars from hardware store to hold wheels on axle.
example:

http://www.homedepot.com/s/Mild%2520Ste ... lar?NCNI-5

I found it very hard to thread an axle.

Oh yeah! I forgot, I've used those at least a couple times. Sheesh! With the memory I have who knows what I've forgotten! :lol: :lol: :lol:
By FishinInTheDark
Put a pair of traxxas titan 21t motors on it the other day

Used some cheap redcat 10t pinions off amazon, they matched up with the 10t plastic pinions perfectly. Definitely got a bit more speed and a ton more torque out of the new motors. Kiddo loves it now, bet he'll be thrilled with 18v.

Tomorrow I'll finish the easy 18v conversion. Today I was one piece shy of having enough fittings to convert the stock pw batteries and making wiring harnesses to play nicely with the new noco genius 4g charger I picked up.
By FishinInTheDark
The 18v conversion was a breeze. Truck is much faster now, kiddos love it.

Also went ahead and put some LED lights on it. Put a 6" light bar on the front and some LED tape strips under the tail light lenses.

Here's a couple pictures from this part of the build:

Converted a 12v milwaukee battery holder for the task. Didn't want to blow out the LEDs with 18v, so set this up as a separate 12v system.

Added the switch by bolting a piece of hockey stick through the existing CB radio holes. I didn't want to cut up the dash.

Battery bay is an absolute cluster... but it works

Lighting up the night!
By toycrusher
Only getting jeaslouser! :lol:
Need help with non powerwheels

Here's a diagram that may help. It's actually base[…]

All PM's have been replied to. If you PM me your […]

Hello all, This is my first post. I've had troubl[…]

I have little experience using the voltage meter. […]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course