KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Use this area as your personal project pages or blog! Each thread belongs to one user as a project page!
By rinowish
It was December when i got our Gaucho Grande. It was pretty complete, missing only the front brush guard, because the plastic face it screwed to was cracked and missing a corner (more on that later). Here's how it started:

Most of the stickers were there, but kind of pealing up on some of the corners, and had dirt in the adhesive, so it wasn't great up close my any means, and if you notice on the hood, the other owners (kids) had put their own stickers on, some right over the original stickers (yes, that is a AAA sticker by the far hood latch)

So using the wife's hair dryer, i pealed the decals off (Scan'em and fix'em here), stripped down the parts, and really it was in great condition.

I didn't want to go back to stock, with decals and all, i was looking for something original. Since i live at the base of a mountain, in sunny Phoenix, AZ. and our backyard literally opens up to natural desert, i decided to got with Desert Camo, not digital though... This kind:

By rinowish
I started with the dark brown first, laid down a few coats where i wanted those swatches:

About a week later, I masked those off, and laid down the lighter tan color:

And about another week later, I masked those off, and laid down mid-tone tan on the rest of the body:

Once it was all dried, i carefully pealed away the multiple layers of masking... 99% was successful, i had a few very small sections peal on me, but figured I'd cover them when i started the black and white chips. Here's how it was looking at this stage:

Notice the slight peeling above near the hood latch, and below on the rear corner...
Last edited by rinowish on Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By rinowish
Now to start the "chocolate chips" as I saw them called once...

I started with the hood, figuring it was a relatively flat surface compared to the rest of the car:

Meh.. they were a bit BIGGER than i expected, but they turned out alright otherwise. Now for the rest of the body:

O... M... G... If I had known that it was going to take as long as it did, and i was going to have to be as meticulous as i was to do these... I may have opted for the Digital Camo pattern instead... :lol: But at least the body was done.

So, what to do next... something unique. Maybe it's been done by someone here, or on the old boards, but not during my tenure here anyways. Carpet. Lowe's and Home Depot have carpet runners on the roll, that cost roughly $1.50 give or take, so I figured this would be cool and cheap.

I started with the empty pan, and laid the body on top to fit, and using a pencil I marked all of the visible areas that will make up the interior of the jeep. Then i used just 8.5x11 papers, taped and cut them to make the stencils for the carpet runner. Once cut, this was my test fitting:

Then I painted the whole pan black and started laying the carpet. I started with some rubber cement and C-clamps.. Set up a few and let it dry overnight.. or not so much. The cement was not going to do the job, not even close. So against my better judgment because of how permanent it could be, I used Liquid Nail. Don't get me wrong, it worked, and turned out great though:

By rinowish
It's almost done. I ordered some needed parts, like the front brush guard (Thank you Nsaellis) and they arrived in the mail. But i still have a problem, the busted corner:

Well, i looked all over for some thin metal, but did not have any. Wet over to my dad's to check, he's call all kinds of scraps of everything. What we did find was an old cookie sheet :lol: I cut that to size, and as I was leaving Pops brought up a good point, that paint may not stick well with the teflon coating :o Good point, grabbed the grinder and went to town. So here's the fix:

A few pop rivets:

Some paint, and it was as good as new.

Ok, so the Gaucho has been done for a few weeks now, its just been a matter of time to download the pix from the camera, size them, host them, etc... and with a 17 day old bebe. But yesterday, to finally got to do with the kids what i've been waiting for, the whole point of the desert camo paint job... We went for a ride out on the bike trails/ They had a BLAST and have literally asked if we can do it again at least 100 times in the last 24 hours.

Now, if you are still reading this, let me waste no more of your time... The moment you have been waiting for.. The final results:

By rinowish
Next on the list, are lights, and a rewire to 10g wire.. for some reason the stock wire is getting really hot at 18v and i am blowing 30a fuses left and right, so for now, they are driving it at 12v

oh.. and a seperate break pedal will be on the to do list.
By AUSSIE DARREN
That's one sweet paint job ;) lots of time & effort in that! the only thing I would do would be seat covers just to finish it off[ brown\ green?] ;) , I use a 40 amp fuse on our gaucho's & if they start to get hot the resister under the foot throttle shuts the jeep down till it cools down.
By rinowish
Yeah, seat covers are on the to do list also. I bought on of the Peg ones to use as a template.. I think we are going today to the fabric store for my wife.. will look while i'm there
By Mizzou Fan 85
That thing is SUPER NICE! Love the paint job and I can just imagine the time spent masking :lol: it is a nightmare but the end results are worth all the headache! I like that carpet idea too! Probably going to steal it and us it on my Mizzou Jeep project I have going on ;) also like your cookie sheet fix! Very resourceful!
By Maximus
Congrats on the paint job!
By jparthum
Wow Rino! :shock: ...In a word ..."MAGNIFICENT"!!! 8-)

The closest thing to a carpet addition I can ever remember coming across, was somebody adding 'Elmo' fur :P . But yours looks like it came from the factory! :ugeek:

Awesome work! :)
By Keith#450
...yeah man, awesome. You should mount a supersoaker on the passenger side. :shock:
By rinowish
Thanks for all of the positive feedback everyone. It means a lot.

As for mounting a gun.. i was totally thinking of the Nerf Vulkan, and painting it.. something like this

Once again, the words of wisdom from my dad is ringing in my ear "You shake the s**t outta that gun just driving, it'll be useless before you know it" ... Maybe he's right.. maybe not. But we'll see... I'm not 100% commited to the idea yet.

I like the idea of a super soker though.. that's a great idea and may work much better

ps. Happy Easter :D
By jparthum
Water canteens would be a nice looking, theme appropriate, and useful addition - if you go with a mounted super soaker, you could even feed it from the canteens...?
By taz11
One word...EXCELLENT!...

...ok..two words.....PATIENCE!...... That camo would have pushed me over the edge!
By kickingrass
That paint is "Rinoriffic!!" Me likey!! Keep a close eye on the wires. I bumped mine to 18v and could barely tell the difference in speed,so i pulled the 6v battery and threw in another 12v for 24v just to see if that worked better.. that made the gaucho almost as fast as a p/w on 18v for about 3 minutes...then smokeshow!!! it did not blow the 40 amp fuse until after the wire harness melted down!! The wires were corroded inside the insulation and adding a LOT of resistance. rewired it with 10ga, and it is faster on 12v than it was on 24 before the meltdown. really flies on 18v now :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
By CJB
kickingrass wrote:The wires were corroded inside the insulation and adding a LOT of resistance. rewired it with 10ga, and it is faster on 12v than it was on 24 before the meltdown. really flies on 18v now :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
#1 reason to NOT re-use the factory harness during a mod.

Rino- That is just SICK. Excellent work. You, sir, have more patience than I. :lol:
By kickingrass
Yep, lesson learned CJB... just hoping someone else can learn from my oops.... burn tires not wires :-)
Awesome job on the paint!!!!! Much patience you have.
Last edited by kickingrass on Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Racer X
My only complaint -- as stated before, the red seats have to go (smile). With that said I love everything else about it.

As I read the entire thread I too thought that the Nerf Vulcan would really finish it off (I like the super soaker idea too, but I work so hard trying to keep ALL water away from all our ride on's that I know I couldn't get myself to go to the dark side and add a water source on purpose).

When I look at it I just keep thinking about all the masking you had to do for that paint job --- WOW!!!!

Racer X
By Tainted Memory
You all make my Gaucho redo look pathetic in comparison....

Nice job, I wish I had the patience...
By Qcustomz1
awesome..! im redoing grave diger...
By rinowish
**UPDATE**

So, most of the "suggestions" i received on this design was that the red seats had to go. Even as I was painting and ordering replacement parts, i already had an idea of what i wanted.

I ordered just a single red seat cover to use as a pattern, it was just a matter of actually making a custom seat cover. Then my wife made very clear that if i wanted to go forward with this, that i was going to learn to sew... she was not doing any part of it for me LOL.. such a darling, huh? :lol:

Well after a failed attempt on the first one (then several weeks of out of frustration :x ) i finally have my custom seat covers.

Last edited by rinowish on Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By AUSSIE DARREN
Well done that’s a perfect match 8-) .
Your only problem now is your wife will have you doing all the sewing around the house now your an expert :idea:
By taz11
rinowish wrote: Then my wife made very clear that if i wanted to go forward with this, that i was going to learn to sew... she was not doing any part of it for me LOL.. such a darling, huh? :lol:

Remember that when she wants a curtain rod hung :evil:

Not bad for a non-seemstress ;)
Last edited by taz11 on Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
By rinowish
Actually, if anyone would like to try their luck at the sewing machine also (or have someone loving enough to assist) I will create the pattern if that would interest anyone.
By AUSSIE DARREN
rinowish wrote:Actually, if anyone would like to try their luck at the sewing machine also (or have someone loving enough to assist) I will create the pattern if that would interest anyone.
a pattern would be great :D I would love to make up some John Deere seat covers
By jbr0530
I actually plan on making a seat cover for my girls jazzy jeep out of some left over camo material I have in the house, once I get it painted that is. Although not sure the pattern would work for my jeep, but im sure other people would love it. At least I could get the basic idea down.

Your entire job is awesome, I love the paint, I cant get over how good it looks. The rug is top notch! I plan on doing a similar job to my daughters jeep. Thanks for the inspiration !
Volts/ current regulator

Many thanks. I had a go at this earlier today, how[…]

Need a help

Hi! This is my first build on upgrading my kids N[…]

I want to upgrade the motors to 775 with at least […]

Magic Cars modifications

Hello everyone, did anyone have any success with m[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course