KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Use this area as your personal project pages or blog! Each thread belongs to one user as a project page!
By Jasonownsansw20
Hi all

I have recently purchased my first real power wheels for my wee boy who is 8mths old, it is a bit of a project car, it is a poorly kept lightning mcqueen. But I picked it up for next to nothing, the battery and cables are busted some of the wires are disconnected pretty much all of the stickers have been pulled off and the bodywork has been scribbled over in permanent marker.
It has 2 motors but no parental remote also has no working headlights or taillights. And it is a 6v battery.

I decided that I would bring this car back to life as a cruisin lightning mcqueen (a version has far less decals and a nicer candy red paint) with white wall tires,
The plan is to upgrade the battery and motor (perhaps 2 or 4 wheel drive) install parental control option as my boy isn't even crawling yet. Cut off the rear wing, cut out and build new headlights and taillights with perspex and leds (the plan is to eventually have working park, brake, indicators, hazards and dtrl's). Respray the whole thing in a candy red metallic. Fix up the steering wheel and all 4 wheels.
Last edited by Jasonownsansw20 on Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

By Jasonownsansw20
I have just taken delivery of the car and begun pulling it apart from the codes on the two rear fisher price wheel motors the code is 64715 from Johnson Electric, these appear reasonable motors to begin with:
20,000rpm, 273watts, 105amps, 0.514nm stall torque.
The 6v battery that came with it not sure if will take a charge or if it works yet. Will see if I can charge it or replace. Really just want to get it working at this stage.
Anyone know if these motors can take a 12v battery? Id rather get it running slow and efficient first so would I be better off using a 6v 12-14ah battery? Although I do have the 12v wiring harness I intend to use for parental control, though I'm not sure what voltage the motors are compatible with or if they will need replacing.
By Jasonownsansw20
After stripping the entire thing, removing all the stickers, cleaning each part and putting back together (minus the electrics and motors) I'll get a better idea on where I need to mask for a respray, also my wee 9 month old already loves getting pushed around in it.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/q4Wjs32uKgwFvGMJ7

Been testing the battery and motors with volt meter they both seem to be fine (apparently) although nothing runs in any configuration, perhaps the foot pedal mechanism is broken. I'll know more when the new wiring harness arrives.
By Jasonownsansw20
Stuck my first problem with the steering mechanism, I can only get it to fit in one orientation otherwise it either gets in the way of the foot pedal, or the top windshield piece. So this is the only position I can mount it but not sure how I'm going to add fixing points to the chassis at these weird angles unless I make some triangular spacers and just fix at right angles with some very long screws/bolts/spacers. I also need to bend the aluminum C section about 45 degrees to create some angled fixing brackets.

Also I'm not sure if these steering motors are meant to be friction fit to the shaft to allow some slip otherwise I don't believe you would be able to manually steer the wheel against the motor gearbox without breaking it, I have never seen one of these In action so I'm learning as I go... :?

http://imgur.com/gallery/Zs28NcH
By Jasonownsansw20
Made some good progress on my build in the last week, Installed the new harness with parental control, mounted the steering motor, (had to bore out the steering rod and use a threaded machine screw and bolts to hold in place) , cut out the front chassis to allow for the larger 12v 12ah SLA battery (fixed a bracket to stop the battery from shifting) , existing gearbox and motors seem fine, just yet to thread the wheels so I can use M10 nuts instead of cap nuts (currently nothing holding on the wheels.
[/url]
By Jasonownsansw20
Upgrade complete!
I managed to get the car up and running and have a new sense of confidence of my abilities.
Installed a 12v Wellye parental control unit with full replacement wiring harness with soft start and steering motor, happy with the results, now onto cutting holes in the body for cpu motor cooling fans and speaker holes then install a music player, and paintjob!

Took the car out in scorching summer heat about 29degC, drove it on asphalt and gravel path as well as thick grass up and down shallow grades non-stop and it lasted about an hour. Was crawling up the drive by the time we got back.
[/url]

I am having the exact same issue with my sons rapt[…]

can we get a little more info like make and model […]

So one of the motors burned out on my kids Viper. […]

I have a Power Wheels Duner racer. I upgraded it t[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course