KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Use this area as your personal project pages or blog! Each thread belongs to one user as a project page!
By aVWguy
i just spent $20 and bought a cute little yellow magica in need of ALOT of love .... from what i can tell it must have taken a ride down the chenango river in the rescent flood here ................ any one got pics they can share that would help me get the body off this lil critter??? i want to repair EVERYTHING right before i mod it
By aVWguy
:oops: right then .... the runningboards pop off.. and they where hideing 4 screws lol ANYWHO body is off and the main harness is repaired next comes building the harnes for the lights and horn (yes i am actualy putting a REAL vw horn in it :lol: ) i think it is in need of motors .. meter says i am getting 5.9v in low and reverse and 13.99 volts in high at the motors, also putting thought into turnsignals but not sure if i should use a standard flasher unit (heats up to change on and off) or an actual VW flasher that controls it electronicly without the heat ..... all of the lights will be flashlight bulbs to keep the dim glow the real bugs where known for lol and i have also brought the dummy engine in to tinker around with small motors to make the belt actualy spin and to make it produce an engine sound
By aVWguy
got bored and added a dummy distributer to the engine and it turned out nice .................... right down to the sailor jerry cap used as the distributer cap LOL
By ray356
dasilva100 wrote:Image

yeah need some pics, was gonna do somthing with the dummy motor on one of mine, but might end up making a complete new one that is a bit more like the real thing ;)
By aVWguy
trying pics .... havent gotten that figured out yet ....................... is there a way to post that doesnt require another site storeing them???
By ray356
aVWguy wrote:trying pics .... havent gotten that figured out yet ....................... is there a way to post that doesnt require another site storeing them???

not sure about that but http://photobucket.com/ is dead easy, open an account ( its free), click on up load, to store your pics, select the pics from your computer, once stored select the photo that you want to up load, click on IMG code then paste it to where you want it in your text ( dont forget to leave a space or hit return between pics ) there ya go simple's
Last edited by ray356 on Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By ray356
nice one, dont look to bad, that must be one of the last us spec one is it , dont see any like that in the uk
By aVWguy
those are the first set of pics taken .. now it is stripped down and the back seat AND roof of my vw van are coveres in parts lol right now i am working on the wiring to it in the house (much warmer there)
By aVWguy
quick question ... is it possible with a peg to eliminate the "brake" effect ??? i know on powerwheels this is just a matter of unhooking a wire from the pedal
Last edited by aVWguy on Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By ray356
not sure on the us spec , the ones i have have drum breaks and a switch to kill the motors, would of thought it was possible, there are some diegrams on here, well the old forum http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/foru ... C_ID=11991 dont know if this will help
By aVWguy
thankyou that does help alot ... thinking i may do some re wiring and replace the resistor (takes the brakeing load) with a set of LEDS and a more modern resister ... thats not cracked and rusty lol
By ray356
8-) glad its of some help, addictive little things aren't they, i would restore these all day if i could :lol:
By aVWguy
ITS ALIVE!!!!! after a closer look at the motors i realized they are VERY comon jhonson motors ^_^ so i laughed quick and grabbed the spare cordless drill motor from the back of the bus and set to swapping out brushes ... so as of right now i have ONE functional motor and no low speed ..... tomorrow i'll revive the other motor and look into a hi-low switch (reverse works on high if i push the switch manualy with my thumb) and i have also begun makeing a more accurate looking VW shifter for it
By aVWguy
and .. as is quite normal for a bug restoration ... i did test drive the floorpan (body off)
By aVWguy
aVWguy wrote:quick question ... is it possible with a peg to eliminate the "brake" effect ??? i know on powerwheels this is just a matter of unhooking a wire from the pedal

the smaller guage blue wire provides the brake effect ... unplugged and it rolls to a stop rather then a sudden jolt and risk of grinding up a gb i cant afford to replace :idea: also looking for parts in the ol' garage to make REAL brakes lol .. i have done this on powerwheels toys before but never a peg ... should be interesting
By aVWguy
ray356 wrote:8-) glad its of some help, addictive little things aren't they, i would restore these all day if i could :lol:

i used to work part time (4 hrs a day) at a thrift store fixing and modifying donated power wheels LOL ... back then minimum wage was $4 an hour and i could fill the gas tank on my moped for .73 cents
By aVWguy
after closer examination of the dash and general layout i realized putting ANYTHING in there that could short out or heat up was a bad idea................ the lights have made one final change and they look great .. right down to the yellowy dim generator charged VW look lol :D i ended up digging into a surplus of small lights for other projects .. pulled out 4 3V lights a switch and some wire and now the lights are tapped into the original radio keeping motors and accessories completely seporate ..................... i DO have a question for the peg perego owners out there. .... where do i get the little false cassette tapes for the radio??? i dont have one so i have a piece of wooden molding stuck in it :(
By aVWguy
make that the cassette tape and a headlight lense :cry: one popped out and got squashed on my midnight boredom induced test run :(
By aVWguy

kermit ^_^ the VW i HAD and if you look below the bumper you see the zoom tube exhaust i want to put on the magica with a small strobe inside for a good backfire effect
By aVWguy
soooo ... where do i find a good 10t perego motor??? the other side has a burnt armeture :( or mabey an ok used one that needs good brushes??? plus side is the one good motor i repaired has plenty of torque and after running around the garage and into the yard for a constant 5 mins carrying all of my 135lbs ( i'm not skinny i'm areodynamic dammit) it was still cool to the touch so i guess haveing to buy one motor isnt all bad after spending $20 on it and reviveing and improveing the thing free with stuff that was just takeing up space in the garage
By aVWguy
By ray356
8-) 8-) nice job dude, i think your as mad as me :lol: im digging some of your mods, like the idea of the zoom tube, the head lights a frustrating when they break, ive moulded a good one have made some up out of clear gel coat and resin, but have the patina look, so ive just got one in the mould in clear epoxy resin if its set later ill post some pics, im going to do a hood , deck lid and bumpers next and alter them to look like the one on a 63 bug for the Herbie one ive got ;) :lol:
By aVWguy
i bet the smaller pre 68' tail lights would look cute on that too ................ i've actualy been fighting the urge to build up the older style headlights for mine and add in servo motors to animate them like herbie
By ray356
aVWguy wrote:i bet the smaller pre 68' tail lights would look cute on that too ................ i've actualy been fighting the urge to build up the older style headlights for mine and add in servo motors to animate them like herbie

loving that idea, i had a super beetle cabrio with a 911 kit on years ago and turned them up side down, it looked well, a friend thought i had fitted Porsche head light, the thought i had with the rear was just to paint the out side of the lenses
Last edited by ray356 on Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
By aVWguy
got the sound box built and programmed .. kinda sounds more like a harley but that may change when i get the zoom tube built and the speaker inside it
By aVWguy
i havent taken pics of the process yet .. but for those with older peregos like mine the motors are VERY easy to open and replace the brushes in and often the parts are kicking around the garage hideing in places you might not think to look lol.. like i said before the johnson motors are extreamly comon and can often be found in cordless drills, 12v air compressers/tire pumps, some portable 12V heaters, .......................... you get the idea .. THEYRE EVERYWHERE!!! .................. and once the batteries charge for my camera i'll take pics of the brush replacement process for anyone who wants to try it
By aVWguy
photos are taken now to edin .. add circles and arrows.. and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each one was to be used as evedence against us ................... (if you dont get the referance i will laugh then feel old)
By aVWguy

the only REAL difficulty in the process is seating the brushes .. they have to be gently seporated to clear where they make contact on the armeture ... other then that it IS simple and aslong as everything is good inside and you have the edges of the shell bent back over the cover you SHOULD have a good running motor again ............ if you get alot of sparks at first it is normal .. just parts getting used to each other ... if you get NOTHING then there may be burnt spots down in the motor too deep to see from the open end
By aVWguy
just wondering .. what is the total length of a gauncho side pipe ... one of those might make a groovy zoomtube ^_^ and if it fits. ... are they hallow i need something completely hallow inside to hide the speaker for the sound box and a couple strobe lights i picked up
By aVWguy
the top set of mirrors is what i am trying to replicate ... sofar i have had 2 sets of mirrors snap mid bend and one that DID bend is all kinds of pretty shades of blue from heat ...... back to the drawing board ... i DID find some plastic mountain bike mirrors with flexi posts and once i get a set of those in i'll try them out and see how they look .. at most all those should need is a quick shot of spray chrome
By aVWguy
"circles and arrows.. and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each one was to be used as evedence against us "- arlo guthrie in Alices restoraunt .... for those who didnt catch that :roll: :lol:
By aVWguy
well this might be the last update for a while .. the sholder injuries are back to haunt me :shock: ......... everything i've posted was done one handed but the pain had me wanting to throw the plow truck through a wall :evil: .. takeing a break :lol:
By ray356
sorry to here that, hope it gets better soon dude
By aVWguy
seeing my frustration the family desided to be nice .. the basement is being turned into a PW shop LOL .. so i will soon have more space to work AND heat so my sholder behaves and i dont lose my mind ........... ANNND!!!!!! room for another project to make it easier to work on them .. i'll be building an electric lift to raise and lower them through the hatch on the back porch and into the basement
By aVWguy
By aVWguy
got a test model of the zoom tube put togather with the sound box hooked up and the speaker inside the tube and :o :shock: :? :D sounds JUST like kermit!!!! (my old VW superbeetle) .... also putting thought into an aluminum swingarm to mount inside the rear tub to stabilize the rear axle and mounting a set of old moped shocks up that are just takeing up space in my tool box and the driver is nearly finished for the speedometer (N.O.S VDO puch moped speedo) :D
By aVWguy
and i am at the toughest choise yet with this project ... the paint ... not sure if i want to make a mini ver. of my old superbug kermit .. or leave it yellow and add the black "formula VEE" stripes along the body sides ... possible give it a few autobots badges and have a REAL (80's) transformers "bumblebee" which would be better here???
By ray356
or may be a jeans beetle ;)
By aVWguy
By aVWguy
lol either way .. it will soon be time to patch up the little body on it .. i see myself useing alot of clear epoxy on it .. has a few REAL deep gouges in the front fenders ... other then that no chalky mess or fadeing to speak of :)
By ray356
aVWguy wrote:lol either way .. it will soon be time to patch up the little body on it .. i see myself useing alot of clear epoxy on it .. has a few REAL deep gouges in the front fenders ... other then that no chalky mess or fadeing to speak of :)

yours don't look to be in bad shape at all, the last one i did was more than chalky, it was like powder, an where the stickers had been it was about 2 to 3mm higher a lost of sanding and a good go over with a body file, and a 1.5 ltrs of high build primer :shock:
By aVWguy
worst of it is the deep scratches and a few white spots from the plastic getting bumped and dented in the past :roll: the little bumpers are baddly scuffed but i plan on makeing differant bumpers anyways and it needs side windows .. possibly a windscreen if i cant get it to clean up mechanicly it only needs one motor and a bit of cleaning
By ray356
i just used some 2mm perspex for the screen, and side window 5mm, have ya got bits for the template of the side windows, if not i could draw it up and put the sizes on for ya
By aVWguy
i have about 80% of the originals .. couple broken corners and extreamly yellow and cracked
By aVWguy
if i have to replace the windscreen i may end up going with plexiglass and slowly shapeing the curve in it with a heat gun and patience ............ done that before makeing dome skylights and rideon toy airplane canopys
By aVWguy
had to form an aircraft style canopy for a fiberglass body a friend made for his VW floor pan forsome reason he wanted it to have the WWII fighter look .. odd and a bit ugly but it turned out kindof cool too

Sorry so delayed! What are you looking for in ter[…]

Selling Jeep Hurricane 24 volt

Hey Ernie I see the listing was removed. Is it sti[…]

Circuit breaker popping

So there is a lot of resistance when just spinning[…]

Shes alive again!! Replaced the foot pedal and all[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course