KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Adding R/C to your Powerwheels vehicles? Using R/C parts on your Powerwheels?
By pungohboy
First of all I want to say thanks for this site and all the great info here. I have wanted to do a RC power wheels for a while and finally took the plunge. I picked up a great condition Power Wheels Bigfoot off CL for $25 since it was near my Father in law i asked him to pick it up for me. He told me after he got it he told me it was going to probably be too small for my 5 year old aka Bigfoot freak so since it was already in our paid for I thought it would be perfect for my youngest son Carsyn who is 3 and has Holoprosencephaly and because of limited muscle control is also diagnosed with Cerebral Palsy. For someone who can not walk or talk or do things a "normal" 3 year old can he never lets anything get him down and always has a great attitude. He is the kid that nobody can look at without smiling because he is right there with a huge grin. He loves riding anything and everything and especially loves riding power wheels with his brother. So after reading some other members with special needs kids doing RC and me being into RC cars i figured this will give him some more freedom and let him enjoy not just riding with his brother but racing with him also.

I basically copied the parts durb69 used for the electronics http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=12876#p99998 since I already had a GT3b radio and he said he had good luck with the cheap ESC and the actuator. When everything came in I tested and made sure all the electronics worked then went to the garage to find where my RC skills were fine but my engineering skills lacked. I couldnt for the life of me figure out how to mount the actuator. The bigfoot is a bit smaller than the other 4 powerwheels we have around the house (3 kawasaki atvs, and a arctic cat side by side) mounting the actuator under just did not appear to be an option. I took it to my father-in-laws house since he is very experienced in fabrication and had him look it over. He decided it would be easiest to mount the actuator under the body and attach it to the steering stem. So he welded a piece on drilled a hole to mount the actuator and we had steering. I still have a little tweaking i need to run a stabilizer from the actuator to the other side of the tub since it flexes a bit while steering. Other than that just tidying up wiring and most importantly a harness for Carsyn. Here are a couple pics of my setup and a video of Carsyn riding it. Thanks again for the help I got from here.

By toycrusher
Nice work!
By rcdad0622
Nice Job! Do you have a picture of your battery setup or a link so I can purchase one myself? I just picked up a 80s metal frame/bodied porsche and plan to mirror this two builds. Also, when you bought the actuator, did the control board come with it to limit the speed,travel, etc?
By LEDJYN DERY
Hello friends, I was wondering if the stearing motor allows the person in the truck to still stear it. Or does it need to be disconnected from stearing link. Thanks

If you want to go 3x 6v i'd skip the 18v interface[…]

Scooter.... I do not have any more used gearboxes […]

Wow! Thanks for the sticky!

Dasler, I try not to change the stock connectors […]

HobbyMasters