KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Adding R/C to your Powerwheels vehicles? Using R/C parts on your Powerwheels?
By pungohboy
Well my RC Bigfoot http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=13887 build was fun but I saw the Step2 Spin & Go and it looked interesting so its time for another RC Build.

I just ordered the Spin & Go tonight Image

I am going to order a Sabertooth 2x32 to control the motors hopefully by the end of the week. Being tank steer it should be a rather easy project not having to deal with steering.

I have also been tossing around of some sort of dual control. I was thinking if i had 3 large buttons (switches) Left Right and Forward and had some way to interface that into the Sabertooth but also allowing the RC transmitter to be used and preferably override the buttons if needed. I have been into RC stuff a while but diving into this is a little out of my comfort zone so i am not sure if it can even be done.

I will be posting updates once i get some stuff in my hand.
Last edited by pungohboy on Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By toycrusher
That's funny. A forum member built something almost identical from scratch some time ago!
By pungohboy
Yea when I saw this vehicle I thought about building from scratch but figured this would be easier. If it works as good as I think it will I can work on making one and just move the electronics over. I was wanting rubber tires since my driveway has gravel and it is rough riding with plastic tires.
By pungohboy
Sorry for the lack of updates. With the sabertooth it was about the easiest conversion possible. I set the sabertooth to rc mode connected my receiver and motors and it works great.

I had mentioned dual control. I have since picked up an arduino and a digital 8 way arcade style joystick.

I was able to figure out with the Sabertooth Describe software i was able to get a dual control sceniaro setup but im stuck with the Arduino part of it. I have no experience with Ardunio or any programming so it is quite the learning curve. Anyone good with Arduino that would be willing to help with this project? My son loves to push on the sticks which are of course unhooked so if i could get this joystick setup so he can make it move on his own it would really be awesome.

Here is a picture of Carsyn collecting Easter eggs
Attachments
11116104_1633287353571910_1084501887_n.jpg
Last edited by pungohboy on Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By pungohboy
They run on 12v I dont use the factory motor control but i have a single 12v battery wired up to my speed controller and it goes the same speed as it did from the factory. You may need to find a way to fool the control to thinking you have 2 batteries plugged in you could probably try jumping the 2 battery leads with a wire on the one you will not be connecting a battery to. This is a trick that has been done in the RC world for a while for speed controls that have 2 battery inputs but only use one battery.
Jeep Hurricane Radio

There were a few hurricane models and not all of t[…]

My Thomas the Train has a dead circuit board. Doe[…]

I forgot also....Get Up , rub some dirt on it, get[…]

8-)

HobbyMasters Udemy Course