KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Adding R/C to your Powerwheels vehicles? Using R/C parts on your Powerwheels?
I think this is the easiest set up, however, it may not be the cheapest way to do so. I must give credit to Optima 2014 (Dodge Viper SRT 16V Kid Trax) and gtdroptop (R/C Avigo/Kid Trax Mini Cooper: Full Build) since I got my ideas from them; but in my opinion, I got to simplify it a little bit more.

Major parts:

1. Mamba Max Pro ESC

ESC.JPG

2. Spektrum 4210 DX4C DSMR 4-Channel AVC Radio w/ SRS4210 (Transmitter and Receiver)

Transmitter.JPG

Receiver.JPG

3. L16-R Linear Servo for RC - 100mm - 35:1 - 6 volts (Servo)

http://store.firgelli.com/L16_R_Linear_ ... /l16-r.htm

Servo.JPG

4. Castle link (Not required but highly recommended) Note: you can program your ESC using your transmitter but with castle link is quick, allows additional setting options and is very quick (seconds).

Castle Link.JPG

Notes:

1. Wiring connections are IAW the instructions included in the ESC for brushed motor connection with reverse.

Connections.JPG

2. Transmitter and ESC programming instructions are included on the owners manual.
3. BEC is not required since the ESC includes internal BEC. Castle Link is required if you want to adjust the BEC voltage (factory is 5.3V)
4. LAC board is not required for your linear actuator if you buy the L16-R servo (plug and play and works awesome).
5. You can adjust the maximum servo travel using your Spektrum transmitter so I recommend buying a servo with travel distance that slightly exceeds the maximum steering travel and adjust your travel using the transmitter. (100mm Travel with 35:1 gear ratio works perfect for the corvette, I initially bought a 50mm travel with a 150:1 gear ratio and steering was to slow and travel to short).
6. Both, the Mamba ESC and Spectrum Transmitter have a large selection of settings easy to configure and give you full control of the car as desired (throttle speed, reverse max speed, steering travel, braking, and many more)
7. Servo was attached using hardware store parts (bolts, nuts, washers, L shape brackets), and drilling as needed. You will need bullet type connectors to connect the ESC.

Operational and road testing videos:

1. Servo test

2. Operational Test

3. Road Test

My son loves his car.
Rock Star.jpg
Attachments
Love My Car.JPG
Love My Car2.JPG
Last edited by riverasotojuancarlos on Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nice job! :D
I didn't take pictures but I simply cut the positive and negative that were going directly to the 2 motors and link the 2 motor positive together, the two negatives together and connected the positive (red) to the positive on the Mamba and the negative (black) to the negative (black) on the Mamba (Pic 1). The white cable (on the Mamba) is not used for this type of motor so is not connected. You will need to adjust the settings of the Mamba using the manufacturer instructions to work for brushed motor vice brush less motor.
Last edited by riverasotojuancarlos on Wed May 06, 2015 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
It should work since the Mamba ESC is rated for 25.2V. I personally haven't try it. I use 12v and the ESC handles it without difficulties. I would use this setup for a 24V. With regard to the motors, the Mamba ESC works for brushed or brush less motors. You need to ensure you select the correct setting for your motor during programing. The owners manual will tell you how to adjust the settings using your transmitter. I hope this helps.
I think I have decided to keep stock power for RC and beef up the power after my boy learns to drive himself so that being said this post is perfect for my application. Can't thank you enough for sharing! Is there another way to communicate with you other then blowing this post up?? Lol
riverasotojuancarlos thank you so much for sharing this with us, i do have the same pw and thinking to try something similar to you set up, i would like to ask you, does the frijole actuator is strong enough to turn the wheels on dirt or grass, it cause im going to use the car most likely on those type of areas swell on the pavement, i would really appreciate any feedback, thanks
Danser 365, some firgeli actuators are stronger than others based on the gear ratio you choose. The L-16R 35:1 6V is great for pavement. On low level grass is acceptable. It works fine on grass but it has a hard time returning to center position automatically. I usually have to touch up the steering wheel on the remote to center the actuator. For dirt, I guess it depends on how rough the surface. I would recommend a 12V actuator with LAC board and a higher gear ratio.
I just ordered the actuator listed here. Im worried that i should have gotten a stronger ratio but we will see. I am currently using a traxxas xl5 esc and a 7.4v lipo to move the car. It moves it pretty good and we have to walk briskly to keep up with the car when we go for our walks.

Really depends on the increase. 12 to 18v not a p[…]

This should help. The relay now looks like it's r[…]

Thanks for the update!

Dallin..... That is great info on the switch mod[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course