KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Adding R/C to your Powerwheels vehicles? Using R/C parts on your Powerwheels?
By realred2
My CAT tough loader is still in the repainting phase, but I have Decided to make it a 4 wheel drive, 24v, with Scooter controller and hall effect pedal on rubber tires. I also have a Remote setup from my old RC car that I want to put into it, can I run the 24v scooter controller with my remote control?
Last edited by realred2 on Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By realred2
How does one connect the Remote reciever with the 24v esc and high power servos or linear actuators when they are 12 or 24 volt? Also, does the speed control output of the remote (I bought a sky-fly FS-I6) put out a signal that the ESC can read and use? or do I need a interface to get the hall effect output.
Thanks!
By 66deuce
No, you cannot just connect an RC RX to a scooter ESC. The output of the RX is PWM, while virtually all high power motor controllers suitable for BPROs use a hall effect or variable resistance input. You would need to link a servo to a hall-effect switch or potentiometer, whichever your ESC uses.

The high power linear servos (do not buy a simple actuator unless you know how to turn it into a servo) may or may not be able to use a direct input from an RC RX, but none of them will be able to draw power through the RX. You also want a rack and pinion type for this application, not a lead screw type. Make sure both the speed and power are adequate, too.
By realred2
Looking for a PWM to Hall effect adapter and not having any luck, may just go servo and extra hall effect controller. and then use one of the extra channels to turn the extra pedal on and off. Should work out ok. Would just be easier to use direct input. Still looking for a PWM capable 24v esc. I see a bunch of them on Ebay with rotating control knob and I'm not sure how that would work. Isn't the rotating knob more hall effect? Can I just connect the 3 wire out from the remote reciever to the 3 wire in that the control knob is using?

How have you guys all controlled speed on your projects with a remote?
By realred2
I realize it's been a while, but now that he's a bit bigger, how does my son have control while in the power wheel if I use a rc esc? I'm setting up a 24 volt setup with 2 scooter motors (4x4) on a CAT tough loader with rubber tires. I want to make it fully remote controlled, but then with one of my extra channels, be able to give (or take away) full control to the kid in it. Any help appreciated.
By toycrusher
I think you may be jumping the gun a bit here. To start with, the Cat skid steer won't handle more than 12v, and fortunately it simply doesn't need more than 12v to be waay too much fun! :lol:

I'd suggest an RC ESC in the 12v to 14v range. Should be capable of handling all 4 motors.
By realred2
It's already in pieces, and the motors and great boxes are in a lambo. I've got rubber tires and 24 volt motors ready to put on it. Just need to figure out how his foot pedal interfaces with the rc system?
By toycrusher
Ok. What gearboxes are you going to use? Or are you using scooter motors and chain drive?

As far as the remote-to-pedal setup, you may have to browse a bit deeper in the RC forum. I'm certain a couple other members were able to work it out, I just can't remember who and how! :?
By realred2
I'm looking at servo / linear actuators for steering. Probably a linear actuator since the weight is all on the steering wheels. Firgelli has a few options, including some that connect directly to a rc servo output. How do I know which one to get? And how do I allow kid control of steering with a la attached?

Original reply deleted. See below. ***UPDATE**[…]

I was very lucky to find a Mario Kart on craigsli[…]

Gaucho grande

Hello everyone. Does anyone have parts for Gauch[…]

I will arrange can we exchange information offline[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course