KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Adding R/C to your Powerwheels vehicles? Using R/C parts on your Powerwheels?
By AllOverthePlace
Hello,

I have a Chinese ride-on Police car that my son just loves to ride around in while I control it with the remote. The problem is steering and jerky Start/Stop. I am wondering if I can modify it to be able to use a r/c remote, one of those pistol grip remotes as I have one sitting around at home. Also, would love to make it less jerky. I hope that the new remote/radio with the trigger throttle would prevent the jerky Start/Stop.

The car is a Haolaixi, its got forward/reverse, low/high speed and full remote steering.

Its got full lights and a hook up for an mp3 player.

Here is the flimsy super cheap feeling remote with flimsy buttons for controls. About the size of a large smartphone. Says 2.4 at the back, I am guessing its referring to 2.4 Ghz.

I took some pictures of the guts under the seat.

Some extra shots

Me and my son would really appreciate the help. I am willing to buy servos, speed controllers, whatever i need.
By Sedzy
Hi AllOverthePlace,
Without having one of these to fiddle with, I don't know how the setup for the steering is, but your pictures shed nice light.

I don't think you can change what it's doing by a mod. You'll have to completely swap out the electronics. (save the motors and wiring)

The pic you have of the controller board has a microchip (I suspect a 8-bit microcontroller) and a NRF24L01 2.4GHz transceiver, (I have a few of these 24L01 Modules, they're cheap on ebay - crappy range though) a block of relays, and what I suspect are 2 voltage regulators on heatsinks.

The microcontroller will just switch the relays for L/R, Fwd/Rev, and speed. That would explain the jerkiness. I also suspect if you pop open the remote control, you'd find the exact same RF Module in there, another microcontroller, and handful of switches.

As for upgrading it with something worth the upgrade, your RC gear is good. I would look for a BRUSHED motor ESC, that is compatible with your RC receiver, and rated for 4S-lipo.(or more) I make the assumption that the motor for steering is the same as the drive motors. So you'll need another ESC there too.

An ESC on each drive motor, (or if it's strong enough, both motors with 1 motor wired in reverse) and another ESC for the steering motor. These look like the standard 100W 550 motors.

a quick google gave me this; That should be enough to get you going on the drive motors. Something similar but not a dual output, and rated for 30A should be plenty for the steering motor.
http://www.hobbywingdirect.com/products ... rushed-esc
By JustinBaker
Hey, I have purchased one of these models second hand and I can't seem to find any info online as to where I can find a manual or replacement parts. Any help you can offer would be appreciated
Thank you
By JustinBaker
Hey, I have purchased one of these models second hand and I can't seem to find any info online as to where I can find a manual or replacement parts. Any help you can offer would be appreciated
Thank you

Hmmm it's a big spark but the motor works extremel[…]

Just use the "Upload attachment" and &qu[…]

Hi, I found this dirt cheap (20$) National Product[…]

Pines

K i will research and see a value thx

HobbyMasters