KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Have you added running lights? Headlamps? Perhaps some spinners?
By dannyk
A few years ago we bought our son Hanma 12v Hummer style powerwheels seconf hand. The battery was no good so i shoehorned a 12v car battery in its place under the bonnet. He ran it like this for a year or so, but it was getting tired, the wheels were done and the motors had that hot electrical smell about them!

I started looking at this site for ideas on how to fit some lawn tyres and potentialy upgrading the motors, this is when i the project started to snowball.....

I'll let the pcitres do the talking but it no consists of the following:

4 link rose jointed arms front and rear on a steel 'ladder' chassis.
Coilover type suspension with 120lb springs.
Mobility scooter rear axle (inc 24v motor), front hubs, ECU.
2 x 12v 70ah leasire batteries.
18x9.00-8 tyres.
Smart Car steering rack.
Side lights, head lights, 4 spots, rear amber flashing leds.
4 point harness.
Bonnet pins.
etc.

I've also just aquired a 6v ( i think) Ranger rover powerwheels, a bit smaller than the Hanma. I also have another son so this is next on the list, but nothing as involved as the Hanma. Just battery, wheels and motor, probably another scooter.
Impressive! :D :D

Please post more detailed pics, especially how you mated a smart car steering to the powerwheels! :geek:
By dannyk
The steering was a nightmare. I had planned to use a 'monster' servo to overcome the issue created by the 4 link suspension, i.e use a wiper motor with a modified RC servo and servo tester. I bought all the kit wired it up but it was not sprong enough to turn the wheels fast enough. So back to the drawing board. I thought the easiest option was use a proper steering rack from a car, the smaller car i could think of was a Smart Car. the steering rack was using in conjuction with a UJ and sleave arrangement from a mk4 golf which i had lying about, the sleave allows for the 'up and down' movement of the suspension.
Is the rack mounted to the axle itself?
By dannyk
Its center go gravity is fairly low down due to the weight of the wheels/tyres. I only let him go over relitivly flat ground just now. A rollcage is in the plan, as is relocating the batterys lower in the chassis. Time is always against me!

I also have my own mk1 golf berg cup project going on, but the kids stuff seems to be priority, mostly due to there moaning! lol.

SigEp, I have not heard from you if one Earnhardt[…]

Thanks for the reply. Doesn't sound good. It loo[…]

Hey there, Nothing wrong with asking before you br[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course