KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Have you added running lights? Headlamps? Perhaps some spinners?
To prep you for my latest project, I will introduce my first and only modification prior to this :
jeep into box truck with automatic switch for "ghost driver" effect on a track installed in a gallery
The truck was made to transport 1 onion, as part of a larger system
ImageImage
I did the body modifications with plywood & foam -- works for a short installation, but for my next few pieces, after browsing around on this site for a while, I wanted to try some more serious stuff

Here I've begun modifying an escalade I got off craigslist. After peeling off all the -- my favorite -- "hybird" stickers, et al, I took the escalade apart, and began prepping the surface for primer (washed, lightly sanded).
You'll see a texture I developed with a heat gun. Not great for inhaling (or for the planet), but I did it outside wearing a mask
Before I prime this, i'll run over it with mineral spirits & a damp cloth, then let dry -- a technique I've already tested.

Here's how the door hinge works:

Radio runs on 4 C batteries:

Testing heat gun bubble method & making extra bubbles for part of the body:

These look sloppy right now, but when it's all done, I think these will look rockinnnnn:

"glued" these extra bubbles on to part of the body w/ heat gun

just to see what the whole thing will look like eventually ....

stay tuned for added LEDs, new paint job, fabric interior, & a revitalizing on that radio
That's crazy! :D

Love the jeep by the way!
Yes -- just a heat gun on the body of the car on high for about 10 seconds. When it looks really shiny (but just before you see actual movement of the plastic), the plastic is melted enough to adhere the bubbles. The bubbles I created by "blowing" bubbles in plastic totes with a heat gun (similar technique, but you hold for longer... and will need lots of practice).
Here's a few more additions to this car:
tongue w/ fly hood ornament

Plus I modified the power to come from AC as opposed to battery for an installation -- the car wouldn't be driven by children.

I tried two different high-current motor drivers to do this (adafruit then pololu seen here), but won't bother giving the models as they didn't work. These motors draw serious amperage, and despite these drivers being rated for this current, they couldn't pull it. Ended up going with one of these switching power supplies rated for 12v and up to 15a (3rd and 4th pic) ... and definitely needed the 14awg wire. I'm brushing over a lot of complex but worthless trial and error here, so feel free to ask questions if you're trying anything similar for a still-mounted car!

Here's a vid of the pre-programmed LEDs in action:
https://vimeo.com/170250094
Suburbancharlie77 wrote:And how about the fender flares? Same thing or screws?

Yup -- fenders same way -- used the heat gun and a LOT of patience. I would advise setting up a way to clamp this, or be prepared to hold for about 3 min with your hands (as I did). The glue wouldn't cut it for this job, but if you don't mind holding steady, works pretty well. Couldn't tell you how it would take a hit though....

I was soo hoping you were gonna say get the Duc ;)[…]

Need for speed - Range Rover

Hi All, We purchased a range rover for my daughter[…]

Higher-tooth gearbox is going to lower the effecti[…]

Pines

$200 obo

HobbyMasters