Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Anything that doesn't fit somewhere else & general forum updates
By crosshairly
#119926
Hello,

I am trying to fix a Yamaha Raptor 660R. It is a Peg Perego. It wasn't working at all, I took the switch apart and cleaning it, put put new battery in it. Now I get reverse and that is it. It doesn't matter if it is in reverse, forward, hi, or low...It will always go backwards.

Any suggestions???

Thanks,
Paul
By whkwt184
#119938
First off a raptor 660 is not a peg perego. It is made by Dumar. Try plugging the switches in a different way in the wiring harness. Sounds like something is crossed.And if that doesnt work If i had to guess its prob something in the control box. There are always a lot of problems with thise rides because the control boxes are not made very well.
By GR40LSC
#119945
I would actually start by cleaning the switches. I believe there is a thread in FAQ. Could be a controller problem, but I would bet on dirty/corroded switches.
By crosshairly
#119946
whkwt184 wrote:If i had to guess its prob something in the control box. There are always a lot of problems with thise rides because the control boxes are not made very well.


Thanks for the input. If it is the Control Box, what should I do to fix the problem? I have looked at some of the replacement parts websites and have not found a replacement control box.
User avatar
By jonesee
#119956
pretty certain that that model does not have a control module. Personally I like them! it has a rear spring for smoother ride, wheel axles are threaded for easy removal, have done several 18 volt mod for people and have never had a gearbox failure.
Once you grind off the steering limit tabs they are a great little machine.

So you are saying that in all three gear selections it only goes in reverse? Please verify that it does not go in reverse direction in hi and low and forward in reverse gear! sounds like you plugged the shifter in backwards so you now have 2 reverse and one forward gear.
By crosshairly
#119961
jonesee wrote:So you are saying that in all three gear selections it only goes in reverse? Please verify that it does not go in reverse direction in hi and low and forward in reverse gear! sounds like you plugged the shifter in backwards so you now have 2 reverse and one forward gear.


What I can tell you is that no matter what setting I have it on, it will always go in reverse. I have not gotten it to go forward at all.
By crosshairly
#119962
Also, I should have taken pictures and posted them, but there are two switches for the Hi/Lo and For/Rev. I haven't taken these switches out or examined them yet. These are the ones that no matter what setting I have them in the 4 wheeler will only go in reverse.
By hkayssi
#119964
It's a bad control box. Replace with a wiring system from a Raptor 700R they don't have a control module. The 700R has a shifter though but you plug the harness to your switches instead. I think you'll have a 2 speed reverse in addition to the 2 speeds forward :)

I would buy the whole electrical system including foot pedal, speed and reverse switches from a Raptor 700R
User avatar
By jonesee
#119971
hkayssi wrote:It's a bad control box. Replace with a wiring system from a Raptor 700R they don't have a control module. The 700R has a shifter though but you plug the harness to your switches instead. I think you'll have a 2 speed reverse in addition to the 2 speeds forward :)

I would buy the whole electrical system including foot pedal, speed and reverse switches from a Raptor 700R


good to know! I thought Dumar only had one quad and I have done several 18 volt mods so I know that model (must be 700R) does not have a board. I hate boards! seems like it would be cheaper for manufacturers to omit the boards like back in the old days!! :lol:
By crosshairly
#119973
hkayssi wrote:It's a bad control box. Replace with a wiring system from a Raptor 700R they don't have a control module. The 700R has a shifter though but you plug the harness to your switches instead. I think you'll have a 2 speed reverse in addition to the 2 speeds forward :)

I would buy the whole electrical system including foot pedal, speed and reverse switches from a Raptor 700R


So would this one work then?
http://kidcarsandparts.com/dumar-mega-tredz-80/
User avatar
By sea_stork
#119978
Did you clean the floating contacts inside the shift switches, or just the spade terminals on the bottom?

If it is the box, you'd be much better off posting a wanted thread in the wanted section, for the parts you need.
User avatar
By wired
#119980
sea_stork wrote:Did you clean the floating contacts inside the shift switches, or just the spade terminals on the bottom?

If it is the box, you'd be much better off posting a wanted thread in the wanted section, for the parts you need.


+1

Does it change speed when in HI/LO? I don't know about the circuit board but it sounds like the FWD/REV switch is stuck/broken.
Last edited by wired on Wed May 07, 2014 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By hkayssi
#119981
I had a few Dumar products but all of them were crap and had this issue, the controller is always the culprit. It must have some kind of a relay that gets stuck in reverse.
By crosshairly
#120065
wired wrote:
sea_stork wrote:Did you clean the floating contacts inside the shift switches, or just the spade terminals on the bottom?

If it is the box, you'd be much better off posting a wanted thread in the wanted section, for the parts you need.


+1

Does it change speed when in HI/LO? I don't know about the circuit board but it sounds like the FWD/REV switch is stuck/broken.


I haven't clean the forward.reverse switch or the hi/lo switch yet.

It does not change speed at all.
User avatar
By sea_stork
#120090
crosshairly wrote:

I haven't clean the forward.reverse switch or the hi/lo switch yet.




I'm thinking the maybe reason it works only in reverse, is that reverse is not used as much as the others so not as much carbon buildup on the floating contacts inside the switches. It's worth a try to clean the contacts inside both the shifter switches, before you spend any money. Just to rule it out. They are low current switches, I don't think you can use them with the raptor 700 harness, because it will need the high current shifter switches used in the 700.
By crosshairly
#120094
Ok, I'll have to try cleaning them. Been super busy lately...I probably won't get to that until after graduation (Graduating from Boise State University). I am in the last week of classes and have lots to do. I should probably not even be on this site right now!! I'm supposed to be writing a paper. When I get the chance to take those switches off to clean them, I'll let you know if it worked. Thanks everybody for all the input!
By crosshairly
#121623
Ok, so I'm back on this Raptor 660 project now. I have taken the Hi/Lo switch apart and found there to be rust. I cleaned it up but there was no change. Pretty sure it is the Control Box as many of you have mentioned. Here is my question: Instead of buying a Raptor 700 harness, can't I use the wires from the current harness and make a new one that bypasses the control box?
User avatar
By Red card
#140540
Hey there. I just read the thread looking for a fix for the same problem for my son's 660. I took the switches apart. Cleaned all rust. Put back together. Same probkem. Reverse only. I switched the clips on the switches to the same side instead of opposite each other. Wala! Fixed. Works perfectly. Putting the switches on the same side front to back worked. When i dismantled it originally to inspect the problem, the wire clips were side by side. Try same side, front to back, after cleaning the rust.
By BB_Mike
#142720
I too have a Dumar 660R that only has reverse. Came here to see what I could find out about it.

My end goal is to over volt this thing to 18 or 24 volts. So I want to remove the control module and convert the existing wiring harness over to the simple old school method.

What is a good source of the DPDT switches?

It seems to me that even with the 700 wiring harness you still have to do some creative thinking for the foot pedal and for the connection back to the motor.
link here: http://kidcarsandparts.com/motion-trendz-dumar-80/
User avatar
By VicenteM
#145445
Red cardd wrote:Hey there. I just read the thread looking for a fix for the same problem for my son's 660. I took the switches apart. Cleaned all rust. Put back together. Same probkem. Reverse only. I switched the clips on the switches to the same side instead of opposite each other. Wala! Fixed. Works perfectly. Putting the switches on the same side front to back worked. When i dismantled it originally to inspect the problem, the 2 week diet site https://connectthecircuit.org/2-week-di ... nd-results wire clips were side by side. Try same side, front to back, after cleaning the rust.


Must be a common problem because mine only reverses now too.

I'm already using two 120mm fans, one to push fres[…]

In that case then I can retire the long wire conne[…]

well the wires got hot at the switches to the moto[…]

Increasing voltage question

The motor's "nominal voltage rating" is […]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course