HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Anything that doesn't fit somewhere else & general forum updates
By dstubbs
Just picked my son up a brand new Brute Force and am wanting to install headlights and tail lights. I really have no idea where to start. I did see some photos on here where a guy mounted the lights behind the existing headlight lenses, i am hoping to achieve that same effect. I also saw some light kits on a parts website that ran $29.00 for a bunch of LED's, wires, and a 9v battery. I am wanting something strong enough to light the way when riding at night, i'm not just looking for "light". What is the risk of a higher watt bulb melting the lenses?

By CJB
Check out by Brute Force project page linked below. The reflectors seem like they are meant to fit some Oznium super-flux leds.

Don't go with bulbs - they draw too much power and create too much heat.

If the super-flux led's aren't bright enough, add a few of these to the front.
By jam1ej20
I also recently added lights to my brute force and went with the ozniums. They are pretty bright and will light up a path but don't expect them to set the world on fire. For the tail light I used a side marker light for a trailer I bought at Walmart. The LED side marker light was about $7, if I remember correctly.
By dstubbs
Today i purchase the tail light, terminal blocks, switch, and cable. I wired it all together on a countertop tonight to make sure i know what i'm doing and everything seems to be working correctly. I guess now all i have to do is order the Ozniums. What did you guy's use to secure the wires to the underbody? Also...did you run a seperate battery for the lights or did you feed into the main running battery? I have two 12v batteries, but the space is limited under the seat on the Brute Force and i would much rather save the other battery as a backup, and if i decide to do a 18v mod i will need that space as well.
By dstubbs
CJB i know you use terminal blocks quite a bit, so i did the same for mine. Is there a danger with mounting them in the battery compartment? I dont want all the neighbor kids poking around and end up getting shocked. Also...will i notice a difference with the run time if i wire the LED's to the same 12v battery that runs the motor? Just so you know there will be one LED trailer tail light, two oznium suplerflux headlights, and two 8 inch under glow LED's.
By jam1ej20
dstubbs wrote:CJB i know you use terminal blocks quite a bit, so i did the same for mine. Is there a danger with mounting them in the battery compartment? I dont want all the neighbor kids poking around and end up getting shocked. Also...will i notice a difference with the run time if i wire the LED's to the same 12v battery that runs the motor? Just so you know there will be one LED trailer tail light, two oznium suplerflux headlights, and two 8 inch under glow LED's.
I wired mine to the main battery. I only have one 12V battery and also have another one as a spare. The LEDs use very little juice so I doubt if you'll notice any decrease in run time. You would get way more benefit out of using the other battery as a spare instead of just to run a few LEDs. I also used terminal blocks and have everything under the seat. Usually I like to put my positive on one block and my negatives on a separate block so the kids have to be trying to get shocked. I like to put hot glue behind the LEDs to help secure those but as for the wires, I try to find creative ways to use the body of the PW to hide and secure them. Cable-ties work wonders when holding and securing wires.
By CJB
jam1ej20 wrote:
dstubbs wrote:CJB i know you use terminal blocks quite a bit, so i did the same for mine. Is there a danger with mounting them in the battery compartment? I dont want all the neighbor kids poking around and end up getting shocked. Also...will i notice a difference with the run time if i wire the LED's to the same 12v battery that runs the motor? Just so you know there will be one LED trailer tail light, two oznium suplerflux headlights, and two 8 inch under glow LED's.
I wired mine to the main battery. I only have one 12V battery and also have another one as a spare. The LEDs use very little juice so I doubt if you'll notice any decrease in run time. You would get way more benefit out of using the other battery as a spare instead of just to run a few LEDs. I also used terminal blocks and have everything under the seat. Usually I like to put my positive on one block and my negatives on a separate block so the kids have to be trying to get shocked. I like to put hot glue behind the LEDs to help secure those but as for the wires, I try to find creative ways to use the body of the PW to hide and secure them. Cable-ties work wonders when holding and securing wires.

Yeah. What he said. ;)

If you find the lighting cuts into your ride time too much, you can always get a small 12v battery. 3.6AH aren't that big in physical size.
By dstubbs
I appreciate the help guys. I ended up purchasing a couple 1" thick tail lights and removing all the guts. What i am going to do is mount each terminal block inside one of the empy tail lights, and then mount the tail lights under the seat. Not only will it look cleaner but it will also prevent any risk of shock. I also was able to snag some sticky wire clips from work to use on the underbody. Once everything is done i will post pics. I'm a very neat/minimalist type of person so i am going for a very clean and simple intall. Being that this quad is brand new i don't want to junk it up with a bunch of wires and ugly terminal blocks.
By dstubbs
Here are a few pics of the work i got done tonight. I basically finished up all the wiring and mounting of the terminal block, installed the switch, finished up the tail light etc.... All i have left to do is mount the headlights and ground effects when the arrive from oznium next week.
Attachments
Brute1.jpg
Here you can see the LED tail light, termina block covers, and part of the switch.
Brute1.jpg (210.4 KiB) Viewed 3766 times
Brute2.jpg
Brute2.jpg (217.29 KiB) Viewed 3766 times
Brute3.jpg
Here is a good view of my custom made terminal block covers. I can't imagine any kids getting electrocuted now. All the wires come up underneath the terminal blocks in two small holes i drilled. When you look under the seat everything appears to be stock except the two terminal cases.
Brute3.jpg (137.34 KiB) Viewed 3766 times
Brute4.jpg
Here is a shot of the NOS type switch i installed. I am going to take it back off so that i can take that ugly sticker off and replace it with a carbon fiber decal cut to the same size.
Brute4.jpg (194.69 KiB) Viewed 3766 times
By jam1ej20
WOW! That's a little more contained than I usually do but I LOVE the clean look. I also am a big fan of keeping it clean and looking as close to stock as possible. Looks great!
By dstubbs
jam1ej20 wrote:WOW! That's a little more contained than I usually do but I LOVE the clean look. I also am a big fan of keeping it clean and looking as close to stock as possible. Looks great!
Thank you! I can't wait for the LED's from Oznium to arrive. I can see how addicting this hobby can be. Now i find myself cruising craigslist looking for PW's large enough to install stereo equipment in lol.
By dstubbs
CJB wrote:Good work! Nice and clean. Looks nicer than most of my spaghetti-wired mods. :oops:

You need a Gaucho or an Escalade now.
I would love a Gaucho. I did see one in my area on craigslist for $70. Seeing as i just purchased a brand new Brute Force, and bought all that lighting equipment, $70 for another PW is out of my budget right now.
By dstubbs
Here she is all finished up, thanks for all the help fellas.
Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (399.78 KiB) Viewed 3708 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (405.5 KiB) Viewed 3708 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (375.22 KiB) Viewed 3708 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (375.32 KiB) Viewed 3708 times
By resqsonny81
Sweeeet. Great job. I'm sure your boy's gonna be real happy about this.
By dstubbs
resqsonny81 wrote:Sweeeet. Great job. I'm sure your boy's gonna be real happy about this.
I sure hope so, although a few days after buying this quad he told me that he really wants a police car with lights and sirens :?
By hypo21
dstubbs wrote:
resqsonny81 wrote:Sweeeet. Great job. I'm sure your boy's gonna be real happy about this.
I sure hope so, although a few days after buying this quad he told me that he really wants a police car with lights and sirens :?
OK, so throw a strboe element in there and a siren :) make it a police quad.

Seriously though.. he is going to love it. I mean how cool is that thing?? :o he will love it. At least now you have your next project in mind ;)
By guitarcollector008
I got my son one of these for Christmas, and I'm looking to do the same thing. I really like how clean the install is on yours, and I was wondering what kind of terminal blocks​ you used? Thanks!
By guitarcollector008
Well I found some terminal blocks at the local hardware store, and finished up the project. The only thing I did different was using a small project box to house the terminal blocks, and I got the LED lighted switch from Oznium. Great info here, and the previous posts helped alot. Thanks for posting your ideas and info here. My son loves it! I could not get images to upload here, so I made a shared album if anyone wants to see the finished Brute.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/G5EwH4ty6gOgME0g1

Professional writing or essay service which needs […]

I’m looking for the 88-98 body style Chevrol[…]

The best easiest upgrade to add both durability an[…]

Hello, Unfortunately I know less today about my[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course