HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Anything that doesn't fit somewhere else & general forum updates
By Dbolz87
I have just a stock jeep rubicon 12v and my sons friend pushed it around and now it has very little torque and barely moves with a child on it. I. Trying to figure out if it needs a motor or gearbox in guessing its a motor but don't want to get the wrong parts. If the wheels are elevated they still spin but like I said no torque whatsoever. Please help my wife just bought this for him and she is heartbroken that it isn't working.
By Rob222
Battery good and fully charged ? It should be reading around 13v after resting for a while after being charged.
By CJB
Rob222 wrote:Battery good and fully charged ? It should be reading around 13v after resting for a while after being charged.

That's a good point. Just because your wife 'just bought this' doesn't mean it came with a good battery I suppose. Or a good charger for that matter.
By Dbolz87
The battery is used but it was working fine before the kids pushed it around without it being on. From what I understand they pushed it a lot whining the rear wheels the whole time. I don't think it would be the battery because the wheels spin for a while if it is upside down without dyin out.
By Rob222
To solve your problem we need to trouble shoot the current symptoms. It still runs so the motors and gearboxes are probably ok. Bad gearboxes either click and clunk or just skip and don't drive. Bad motors emit smoke and then run poor (or not at all) and smell really bad. That doesn't happen by pushing a jeep.
With a fully charged good battery that thing should run for almost a couple hours flipped over with no load (I'm guessing at a no load current draw of lets say 4amps per motor so 8 amps total with a 12ah battery so 1.5hrs at least). There is no no way you would have the patience to wait for it to die out. If it is dying out with no load then the battery is suspect first. Running but with very little torque is also a sign of a questionable battery.
Do you have access to a volt meter ?
Is it fully charged reading just above 13v ?
Do you have a good charger ?
My guess is the pushing around is just a coincidence. Unless maybe they bent the axle and you have binding. Long shot.
By wired
Hey Dbolz87,
Let's try a few things.

With both of the rear wheels lifted off of the ground do the following: Grab one wheel and rotate it in either/both directions. You should feel quite a bit of resistance and feel, and hear, the gearbox meshing with the motor and the other internal gears. The resistance should be high at first and then ease slightly as you continue to rotate the wheel. It should also be smooth with no popping, ratcheting or skipping. Do this with both rear wheels independently. Make sure to rotate the wheels at least a few full rotations in each direction.

Second test ( again with both rear wheels off of the ground): place the shifter in high gear and depress the foot pedal. Both rear wheels should spin. With the pedal depressed and wheels spinning, loosely grab one of the wheels at a time (adding resistance to put some pressure on the motors/gearboxes) and neither wheel should stop.

Pushing these vehicles around manually tends to break/strip gears or wheel hubs. Let us know how these tests go and hopefully we can help figure out what the problem is.

The originator of the Hurrican pneumatic tire thre[…]

Check out my RC Dune Racer

The finished product is a beach cart. https:[…]

You'll need a 12v battery and a 6v battery of matc[…]

Throttle switch

I was trying to check the inside of the petal swit[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course