Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Anything that doesn't fit somewhere else & general forum updates
TL:DR - Is there any difference in the 9993 and 9998 model #s? Is the 9993 older and do I need to worry about any defects that were fixed in later shipments or an old battery?

So I'm having a horrible experience trying to buy/setup a new Dune Racer Extreme for my kids.

I bought one from Walmart with in store pickup a week or so ago and it has been sitting around for the holidays. I unboxed it tonight to start charging the battery and getting ready to install it tomorrow. However I noticed a bunch of problems with the unit. To start, the stickers were folded in a way where there were creases down many of them which would have made them not look good and probably not stick well. I wasn't going to call it a bust just based on that as I figured I could always get the mfr. to send me some new ones. However there were many places where the plastic was warped/white (like when plastic bends) including a pretty severe case just to the left of the gear shift, behind the steering column plug where there is a screw and the panel piece - it was bend under the other piece and very white.

I wasn't about to accept it in this condition, so luckily I found that one of the Walmart stores near me had another in stock. I won't go into the hassle they gave me, but I picked another one up. Just got it home (10:30pm now) and notice that instead of being a DML91-9998 model it is a DML91-9993. Best I can tell things look the same, though I didn't examine every part. One thing I see as being different is that the front fender on the 9998 model I believe had a sticker that said "Power Wheels" whereas the 9993 model actually has a plastic piece with the words molded into it - which looks nicer. However, I'm concerned the 9993 is an older shipping model which would mean that it possibly has some defects that were fixed in later models or even that the battery has been sitting around for a couple of years.

I'm going to return this one too because it also has what appears to be a crack near the steering column. The top has a good semi-circular ring of white on the plastic and the bottom I can feel a hairline crack with my finger. The fact that it appears damaged on both sides isn't a good sign.

I don't know if I will get another 9993 or a 9998 when I go to pickup the other one (the one I got was the only one on the floor tonight) - but I can't contact PW until Monday and would really like to know if there is any issue keeping a 9993.

quick replies appreciated,

thanks!

Since the first four alpha numeric digits are the same, they are essentially the same car. If the cars are the same color then it's probably just a different manufacture year or location. You may have gotten a NOS (new old stock) from the store. Labels, decals and stickers have taken the place of plastic badges and lenses.
I have seen the white or stressed plastic on other rides right out of the box. I have theories but no factual proof as to why this happens. I was also surprised to see it. Mild heat gun application to these areas can lessen the negative aesthetics.
wired wrote:Since the first four alpha numeric digits are the same, they are essentially the same car. If the cars are the same color then it's probably just a different manufacture year or location. You may have gotten a NOS (new old stock) from the store. Labels, decals and stickers have taken the place of plastic badges and lenses.
I have seen the white or stressed plastic on other rides right out of the box. I have theories but no factual proof as to why this happens. I was also surprised to see it. Mild heat gun application to these areas can lessen the negative aesthetics.
Thanks - my main concern was this "new old stock". While I prefer the plastic badges, I wanted to ensure that no other defects/recall/known issues might exist with the older models. At the very least, I believe the battery would have been sitting around for a couple of years which can't be good for the longevity.

I'm definitely picking up a new one today and hope it is better as this 2nd one I got is 90% a crack in the main body (I was suspicious and my wife without me saying so also thinks it goes through).

I've never heard of using a heat gun to de-whiten plastic. I would think you are weakening the plastic more by heating it?

I'm interested in your theory about the stressed plastic. IMHO, I think it is to be expected based on how these things are packed. Nothing in the box appears to be anchored except the battery everything else is free floating and just packed in based on the other parts. There is absolutely no padding and everything just gets knocked around. I'm kind of amazed at this poor quality control and if I can't get at least one set of usable parts from the two that I will have on hand today then maybe I'll just call it quits.

Have you done any testing of voltages at various p[…]

Higher Amp Hour

Nope, as long as you can physically fit the new ba[…]

How did this work out? Im in the proccess of doing[…]

Hi all I’m new here this might of been cover[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course