HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Anything that doesn't fit somewhere else & general forum updates
By Lewis
Hey everyone I thought I'd have a crack at getting some help here as there isn't much available online. I've bought a 12v rastar ride on la ferrari. Its rather slow so was thinking an upgrade in power is necessary. This is however remote controlled also and just adding a second battery may get the receiver etc. Have any of you dabbled in this?
By chart2006
There's no real simple answer here but you could always use a combination of polarity reversing and dual voltage relay circuits. I'll try to come up with a diagram in the next day or two but can't at the moment. Essentially the circuit would be placed just before the motors. When the voltage from the controller reverses polarity so does the circuit driving the motors. This means there would be three batteries. Two of which would drive the motors and the other would be just for the controller. Again give me a few days and I'll try and have something for you.
By chart2006
Here's a diagram that may help. It's actually based on one Toycrusher came up with a while back so I give him credit for it. This diagram is based on providing 12v to the controller and 24v to the motors.
Attachments
Circuit.JPG
By shawntmk
Hi Chart,

I have a similar car; Rastar Ferrari F12 Berlinetta and I have a similar question. I just posted on it and then saw this post of yours. The only difference between your car and mine, I believe, is that your car seems to have dual motors at the rear while mine only have one motor. I am attaching a circuit diagram for my car that I found online. I am assuming your circuit diagram is similar to mine since they are made by the same company and both have remote controlled operation.

Hopefully someone from the MPW community can help us figure out how to do the 12V to 18V conversion or just make it go faster than the current 5mph top speed.
Attachments
Schematic.jpg
By chart2006
Hi Shawntmk

The diagram I drew above still applies here. The best way to visualize it is if you took your diagram and moved the "rear gear box" (I'm assuming this means the rear motor) and the "storage battery" outside of the diagram. Everything inside the overall box that represents your diagram would be considered the controller in my diagram. There are two way to do a 12v/18v configuration however in both cases you'll want batteries with identical Capacities (Ah) otherwise you risk damaging the smaller battery. The rule of thumb is when batteries are in series the voltages can be different but the capacity must be the same and when they’re in parallel the voltages must be the same but capacity can be different. In series the voltages will add while in parallel the capacities will add together. Since the batteries will be tied permanently in series you’ll want batteries with the same capacity. I saw an assembly YT video of the Berlinetta and noticed it has a 12v 7Ah battery so you’ll want to go with a 6v 7Ah battery. Anyway the two configurations:

1. In my diagram you'll see two 12v batteries. You can replace the ancillary 12v battery (the battery not directly tied to the controller) with a 6v battery. This configuration will work fine but I'm not a fan of it. Since you already have a 12v 7Ah battery you’ll need a 6v 7Ah battery. Amazon has one from Expert Power for $15. My go-to batteries are Expert Power.
2. While not required my personal favorite configuration uses all identical batteries. In this case you’ll need 3x 6v batteries. You'll tie two together in series to make the primary 12v's that supplies the controller and the third battery is the ancillary battery that provides the boost to the motors.

Hope this helps
By shawntmk
Hi Chart,

Thank you for the information. I am looking at your circuit diagram and the only question I have is related to the relay circuit you are using. What kind of relays would you suggest I use? Any specifications that I need to keep in mind when I buy them?

Thanks,
Shawn
By shawntmk
Btw, I also realized that the motor has a WH16 600 Fuse. I am assuming that if I go to 18V, that fuse may need to be replaced or else the motor may not work at the higher voltage.
By chart2006
Those are polyswitches and act more like resistors than a fuse per se. Once a fuse pops the entire circuit is dead. A polyswitch is more like a limited. It'll continue to allow current to flow through it but just limit how much. In other words yes you can remove it. Don't even worry about replacing it with something else, just get rid of it entirely. As long as you have a fuse after the batteries you're good.
By chart2006
Oh btw those polyswitches are typically soldered onto the circuit board. If that's the case and you're confident in your soldering skills go ahead and bypass it. If you're not confident you can just leave it alone since it'll just limit the current coming off the controller.
By shawntmk
Chart,

Thank you for the information. I have decided to not go ahead and update the batteries on the car mainly for the fact that the battery bay is large enough to only support a 12V 7Ah battery. There may be barely enough room to fit a 6V battery in there but even that seems a little tight. The design on the car seems really rigid to allow for any sort or major modification. And considering that I do not have enough resources to cut open the battery bay for now, I am giving up on this project. It just makes more sense to get a used PW from CL and modify it rather than spend time and effort on this one for now.

Thank you for your inputs again!
By chart2006
Not a bad decision. If this were used that you picked up for $50 or so I'd say go crazy with it, turn it into a project, but it's hard to swallow the new price tag pill when there's a chance of blowing everything up. If you think it would be fun for you my suggestion is to pick up a used ride-on and go crazy with it. I did the same with the Ford Raptor I picked last spring. This summer I plan go even further with converting it over to a scooter motor and chain driven wheels. 4WD was my ultimate goal but that may be too pricey for my blood. :-)

Truth is modding is tough. There aren't any "[…]

I'd love to see pics of this thing. Keep trying to[…]

Chain Drive Dune Racer Prep

That all looks great! If you do strip the wheel dr[…]

I bought the brake reduction module from ML toys b[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course