Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Anything that doesn't fit somewhere else & general forum updates
User avatar
By dasilva100
#19706
Finally today I got my tap/die set so no more push nuts at least for the keeper BPROs... :D I got it on sale for $30 after 55% off :o
I will be using it on my new project.
Attachments
pn1.jpg
pn1.jpg (78.42 KiB) Viewed 2943 times
pn2.jpg
pn2.jpg (41.73 KiB) Viewed 2943 times
pn3.jpg
pn3.jpg (38.48 KiB) Viewed 2943 times


By Tainted Memory
#19740
blacksheep wrote:
dasilva100 wrote:Finally today I got my tap/die set
Heck Yeah! You get a funny gif now!
Image
Oh my, that is creepy
User avatar
By dasilva100
#19741
blacksheep wrote:
dasilva100 wrote:Finally today I got my tap/die set
Heck Yeah! You get a funny gif now!
Lol.... Thanks for the gift... You look so funny in that video ;)
User avatar
By dasilva100
#19766
hypo21 wrote:IS it really that easy? How long does it take you to do a set?
I did the one in the pic in around 5 minutes. It's really easy.
User avatar
By dozer
#19785
It is easy but because your just cutting threads on the shaft there's no shoulder to stop the nut firm, like on a guacho or raptor shaft.
So Dasilva has done the right thing and used a nylock nut.
nylocks stay put pretty firm.
Let me know how it works dave I might start doing that too.

oh and get some taping fluid. the taps and dies will last longer and cut easier.
Taping fluid is not the same as lubricating oil or penetrating fluid.
good for drilling too. it keeps the bit cool
Don't really know the difference though. it just works better.
Last edited by dozer on Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
By dozer
#19791
if you use the handle CJB showed (should come with it) it's not that hard. Using the fluid I mentioned helps to.
User avatar
By dozer
#19830
I'll be shooting a video of my son and nephew racing the fast quads today so I'll try and remember to shoot a quick one of using a die. but it's really not hard. feels kind of like trying to put a nut on that's got damaged threads.
picking the right size can be tricky but I have a caliper so at the least I'll measure the shaft and see what size is right.
User avatar
By dasilva100
#19851
The only tricky part is the beginning as the die has to start perpendicular with the shaft... Also the shaft has to be very well attached to a table... But I highly recommend to get one of this sets.
User avatar
By dasilva100
#19925
hypo21 wrote:OK.. I need to look into these.. just called Tap/die set? Would that be good to search for?
Yes. It's exactly what I asked for.
User avatar
By chozian
#20194
dozer wrote:It is easy but because your just cutting threads on the shaft there's no shoulder to stop the nut firm, like on a guacho or raptor shaft.
So Dasilva has done the right thing and used a nylock nut.
nylocks stay put pretty firm.
Let me know how it works dave I might start doing that too.

oh and get some taping fluid. the taps and dies will last longer and cut easier.
Taping fluid is not the same as lubricating oil or penetrating fluid.
good for drilling too. it keeps the bit cool
Don't really know the difference though. it just works better.

I assume the stuff you are referring to is different than the product listed at http://www.harborfreight.com/12-oz-thre ... 92581.html ? I picked that up for a little over $5 after using a 20% off coupon from Harbor Freight when I bought my tap/die set.
User avatar
By dozer
#20209
chozian wrote:
dozer wrote:It is easy but because your just cutting threads on the shaft there's no shoulder to stop the nut firm, like on a guacho or raptor shaft.
So Dasilva has done the right thing and used a nylock nut.
nylocks stay put pretty firm.
Let me know how it works dave I might start doing that too.

oh and get some taping fluid. the taps and dies will last longer and cut easier.
Taping fluid is not the same as lubricating oil or penetrating fluid.
good for drilling too. it keeps the bit cool
Don't really know the difference though. it just works better.

I assume the stuff you are referring to is different than the product listed at http://www.harborfreight.com/12-oz-thre ... 92581.html ? I picked that up for a little over $5 after using a 20% off coupon from Harbor Freight when I bought my tap/die set.
that stuff would probably work. never seen it in a spray can before.

Sorry I haven't had time to do a tutorial on it.
But the piece your cutting needs to be firmly clamped one way or another. Bench vice works best. you often half to turn it a turn or so then backoff a half turn .

Incidentally if your going to try and use the taps to thread a hole, that is a much more delicate procedure. Taps have a habit of breaking off when you twist them to much. It seems to be normal to turn it about half a turn then a quarter back and repeat like the dies. Be gentle cause if you snap it off they're next to impossible to drill out as they are
hardened. If you have real high quality ones they are so hard you can smash them with a punch and pick the bits out.

Found this:
By Wiggleworm
#20273
I have a set at home from Craftsman that works good on soft material like the axles on power wheels. The fluid i use at home and work is called tap magic. There is another called cool tool that works well. If you put a chamfer on the axle before trying to cut the threads it helps you get the die started straight.
User avatar
By stu pidaso
#150105
Hey, this works like a charm. I did it last night to my boy's barbie jeep - 7/16" x 14 nylocks are so much better than my locking collars. The collars were such a pain in the rear to tighten and loosen. This is a far better solution. Good post!
H4805 Linkage Help Part B7659-9419D

Hello all! Found the part through The Shop Vac No[…]

I am just confused about that resistor. Actually I[…]

Foward reverse gear help

The ram dually toy foward reverse lever handle sw[…]

Some questions and advice

It's hard to say. You can get a nice price if your[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course