M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Anything that doesn't fit somewhere else & general forum updates
By Alexflower
Hi all, I’m new

I have a lightning McQueen which I have just converted from 6v to 12v, however my daughter is a little weary of the increased speed. Instead of buying a variable pedal (she is too young to work one) is there something that I can get which is a dial or switch which varies the current going to the motor? The idea is to have this switch/dial on the dash so it can be manually adjusted.
I am based in the UK so any ideas that I can get off eBay or amazon would be great.

Cheers

By Atom
A PWM ( pulse with modulator) will do the trick it leaves the volts the same an controls speed or motor run time by pulsing the motors on and off they are super cheap and easy to install!
I installed this one with a 18v tool battery inline fuse and a key ignition with remote kill sounds bad but it’s really easy
RioRand 7-80V PWM DC Motor Speed Controller Switch 30A
This is as simple as they come but they make fancy ones with volt meters and soft start features good for saving your gear box :D good luck
By Alexflower
Another quick question. Where on the circuit should I fit it? I have not stripped it down yet to see what circuit it has, however I am assuming it comes from the battery to the fuse to the forward and reverse switch to the accelerator pedal to the motor.

Thanks in advance
By Atom
I cut the factory harness where it come from the battery put a 30amp in-line fuse then wired the positive to bat in terminal the negative to the bat in terminal and they have a two motor out terminals labeled net and positive. It’s pretty simple good with electronics or not it’s super simple I wired a relay, wireless kill switch, and ignition key kill switch just for peace of mind hope your not affined by my horrible English if you would like pictures or any detailed stuff I have it apart right now adding a few switches and lights This guy did a very similar build
By Alexflower
Many thanks again dude. Sorry to keep asking questions but I have one more. It currently has one motor feeding one wheel, I’ve bought a second motor to fit on the other side of the rear wheels. But is there a set way to wire this. Do it split the positive and neg wire prior to the motor or can I just add wires from one motor to the other? 🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Thanks
By Atom
The second motor will have to run in reverse for the wheels to turn in the same direction so hook it up opposite of the other side. Also you can send power to each wheel from the pwm it will be the fastest that way or run it in series off the other motor for half power to each motor that’s how most little cars do speed control. There are posts of posts with diagrams and stuff in esc mods under moderator picks I think viewtopic.php?f=46&t=2819 yeah lots of awesome stuff here!!! :mrgreen:
By Alexflower
Many thanks. I had a go at this earlier today, however I set the pwm up near the motors (so after the ignition switch and forward and reverse switch) however the pwm got hot and tripped out after 10-15 seconds of use (also the digital dial that is meant to show the percentage of use does not light up) and it also trips when I put it in reverse. I’ll have a look at some diagrams as assume I have set it up wrong. Failing that I’ll speak to some people on my street as I know some are electrically savvy. Many thanks
By Atom
How many watts is it rated for? I would put it before the ignition so you don’t have it malfunction and have a run away car
By Atom
Atom wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:11 pm maybe you got a bad unit the best i can tell; o wait i am pretty sure the current switches to the motors when you put it in reveres so unless it has reveres polarity protection you may have burned it up by placing it in line after the reverse switch
By Atom
Makes since your using factory batteries with a in line fuse maybe that’s the problem I was thinking you used the factory reverse but after reading it agin your probably using the new reverse on the controller and it’s just drawing to much for the battery fuse/circuit breaker to handle
By Rackemup22
I added another 12 volt battery to my daughters
Power wheel, upon getting it hooked up there was a pop and smoke came from radio. Lights still worked
Radio did not and it wouldn’t move. Replaced control board and all is good again but still no radio. What am I doing wrong?
By Atom
did you hook it up (- to - + to +) in parallel this way it stays 12v or in series (-to+) this way it jumps to 24volts

So one of the motors burned out on my kids Viper. […]

I have a Power Wheels Duner racer. I upgraded it t[…]

introduction

Hello everyone just getting into this new hobby an[…]

My kids birthday is coming up and I want to get hi[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course