Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Anything that doesn't fit somewhere else & general forum updates
Yeah seriously we need to make the location a mandatory thing to fill in when you sign up.

I read something about this here a few days ago. Sorry if it's already been addressed.
Last edited by dozer on Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dozer wrote:Yeah seriously we need to make the location a mandatory thing to fill in when you sign up.

I read something about this here a few days ago. Sorry if it's already been addressed.

I'll run it by the owner and other admins. It's not something I can change my self. I'm only able to make new categories required.
I'm still not sure I like the idea of making it mandetory. It wasn't mandetory on the old site, although most people did fill it out. My thoughts are it should remain optional, because we should be able to retain as much anonymity here as we like. Most forums I visit don't have this a mandetory field.
blake711 wrote:I don't like the thought of it being mandatory. Besides folks that don't want to fill it in will put bogus stuff in anyways.

Yeah, I agree. If it's mandatory and someone doesn't want to disclose their location, they'll enter fake information.
GSEric69 wrote:
taz11 wrote:Can we divide the FAQ into sub sections?

Electrical & battery
Gearing & drive train
Body & steering
Misc

Thoughts?

Ok, Done! I've sorted the FAQs into the new categories as well.
MPWfaqs.jpg

MUCH BETTER!!! Thanks
I would like to see it no deny my post when I post at the same time as another member. Its happened 5 times to me already and its getting old. I post to a topic when someone else does and it doesnt post my response nor does it tell me that it didnt. It just never shows up.
By CJB
ms1120 wrote:I would like to see it no deny my post when I post at the same time as another member. Its happened 5 times to me already and its getting old. I post to a topic when someone else does and it doesnt post my response nor does it tell me that it didnt. It just never shows up.

When that happens to me, it usually gives a message of something like:

A post has been made before you... blah blah... you may want to review your post before submitting it blah blah...

And it puts the most recent post above the editor.
Last edited by CJB on Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By CJB
I would like to see someone knowledgeable write a FAQ about calculating gear ratios for both two gear setups, and train setups, how to increase speed using gearing, and calculating MPH. This info may be available on MES, but I never look over there. I think Grant used to have a ratio/speed calculator linked somewhere on the old site but I believe that link is broken.

I answered a post using info on the net, but I'm not sure it's correct, and I am in no way knowledgeable on this subject.
CJB wrote:I would like to see someone knowledgeable write a FAQ about calculating gear ratios for both two gear setups, and train setups, how to increase speed using gearing, and calculating MPH. This info may be available on MES, but I never look over there. I think Grant used to have a ratio/speed calculator linked somewhere on the old site but I believe that link is broken.

I answered a post using info on the net, but I'm not sure it's correct, and I am in no way knowledgeable on this subject.

like this?

http://forum.modifiedelectricscooters.c ... p?f=2&t=74
Is there a way to delete a post and I'm just overlooking it? :?

I must have clicked "Quote" instead of "Edit", and double-posted, quoting myself. :x :oops:

EDIT: Well now I'm seeing an "X" here that I didn't have on my other post...
http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com/viewtopic.php?p=5261#p5261

Is post deleting disabled for some topics?
Last edited by jparthum on Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
CJB wrote:I bet the delete option is removed once another post is made after yours.

You could always edit it with a space or a smiley. :D

I think you're right - my "X" is gone in this thread too.

I have big OOPS in it right now. :P
jparthum wrote:
CJB wrote:I bet the delete option is removed once another post is made after yours.

I think you're right - my "X" is gone in this thread too.

I have big OOPS in it right now. :P

Or you could ask your friendly neighborhood moderator/admin.
chozian wrote:
ms1120 wrote:Yeah...blah blah blah is right. I dont remember that happening before. Maybe its one of those things that can be fixed.

Yeah, I've never noticed that before. It seems like that would be annoying.

I just experienced this for the first time. It actually helped prevent a double post from myself. It seems like a pretty good feature to me.
Thats because you have never tried to make a first post and it kicked your post out and posted someone elses first. Kinda frustrating to me. IMO.
Im new to this so im not sure if it has been said or tried yet but possibly a section of the forum or easier search to specific power wheels/ vehicles.

example i am thinking of getting a mustang for my 6 and 3 year old so an area dedicated to ppl who have mustang power wheels what there doing of have done to them. and specific help for modification on specific models. i understand there are alot of different models and vehicles but organization wise being able to look for the exact power wheels i own would be nice.

yes i have tried searching for mustang in the search bar but really didnt get much.
That's a great suggestion, and I considered suggesting something like that a while back. I can see where it would greatly simplify locating vehicle specific information, but the potential problems I see, is that it would either require a very well-planned, structured approach (which would impose a lot of work on the administrators), or it would end up creating a lot of difficulty in locating information that isn't vehicle specific.

Each bit of information that applies to one model of car, would also apply to other models. For example, a 12V PWs Lightening McQueen has identical wiring to almost all modern 12V PWs ride-ons, but the body is identical to the 6V Lightening McQueen, which has quite different wiring. :(

Be sure to also search the Archived Forum. We just moved over to this new forum software, so a lot of historic info is still on the old site.

Yup you can only delete a thread you make while there are no other posts. Once a post is made it takes a mod or admin to remove it.
I have an idea for something I'd like to see on the forum (new category), but it might be a little tricky. The biggest issue I've run into is also the same request that seems to fall on def ears 9 times out of 10.

"Anyone know where to get a decal kit or have it scanned?"

I think we should have a category for decals. I think the first topic on that category should be a bold suggestion that anyone buying a new Powerwheels, Peg, Kid Trax, or other, scan the sticker sheets before applying them to their vehicles. Yes, people on this forum do buy brand new powerwheels. We can start a database of sorts of high res decal scans of each power wheels vehicle made. The "new" vehicles will very soon become "discontinued" vehicles with no decal sheets to be found.

When it comes to older powerwheels which most of us own, there are also opportunities to scan decals. When I power wash, often times decals will pop off and I later glue them back on. It would take 5 minutes to scan the decals before I re-apply them.

I certainly don't want to cut into the business of our sponsors, and I'd much rather just pay $9 for one of their decal sheets. But the fact is, original decal sheets are far and few between. There are literally hundreds of different powerwheels we own and maybe a dozen or so original sheets available for purchase. It will take time and lots of scans, but I think we could do this and create a library for all of us to use.

To make this happen, we will need more than just a new category, we'd need the ability of posting larger images. I don't know that we want to just open the floodgates. The best idea might be to have a moderator maintain the decal scan database. When we have something new to add, we can email it to the moderator. They can review it, and add it to the collection.

We also have members who are in the decal business. They might be able to put these scans we make together into custom made decal sheets available for us to purchase.

So what do you guys think? Can we do this?
SigEp wrote:I have an idea for something I'd like to see on the forum (new category), but it might be a little tricky. The biggest issue I've run into is also the same request that seems to fall on def ears 9 times out of 10.

"Anyone know where to get a decal kit or have it scanned?"

I think we should have a category for decals. I think the first topic on that category should be a bold suggestion that anyone buying a new Powerwheels, Peg, Kid Trax, or other, scan the sticker sheets before applying them to their vehicles. Yes, people on this forum do buy brand new powerwheels. We can start a database of sorts of high res decal scans of each power wheels vehicle made. The "new" vehicles will very soon become "discontinued" vehicles with no decal sheets to be found.

When it comes to older powerwheels which most of us own, there are also opportunities to scan decals. When I power wash, often times decals will pop off and I later glue them back on. It would take 5 minutes to scan the decals before I re-apply them.

I certainly don't want to cut into the business of our sponsors, and I'd much rather just pay $9 for one of their decal sheets. But the fact is, original decal sheets are far and few between. There are literally hundreds of different powerwheels we own and maybe a dozen or so original sheets available for purchase. It will take time and lots of scans, but I think we could do this and create a library for all of us to use.

To make this happen, we will need more than just a new category, we'd need the ability of posting larger images. I don't know that we want to just open the floodgates. The best idea might be to have a moderator maintain the decal scan database. When we have something new to add, we can email it to the moderator. They can review it, and add it to the collection.

We also have members who are in the decal business. They might be able to put these scans we make together into custom made decal sheets available for us to purchase.

So what do you guys think? Can we do this?

I think that is an excellent idea. I have scans for 2 different PWs that members have shared with me, and have successfully removed the decals from a Little Tykes Hummer H2... Working on getting them to someone with a big enough scanner to scan them.

I would love to see a scan library for members. :mrgreen:
I agree with the sticker deal....

and I'd like to see a "calculator" section in the FAQs. A place to post links to an LED calculator, speed calculator, etc
By CJB
I know we're waiting for the original authors to move the FAQs, but I think it would be very helpful to new members to have the 'Definitive Wiring Diagram' FAQ over here in it's entirety. (not just a link to the old one)

I'd also like to see a FAQ here on remote kills. That seems to be a hot issue lately.
I could see where stickers and manuals might create a civil liability issue, if the site operators are 'involved'. But I don't think there would be much legal recourse from copyrighters, if it just happens on the site without their 'involvement' ;) (other than demanding they be removed :roll: ).
Try this link for User Manuals:

http://service.mattel.com/us/results.as ... s&x=7&y=12

I was thinking about the Liability thing too with the Decal Library. I would assume though if the vehicles are discontinued that it wouldn't be an issue. Maybe we can have a "secret" library that contains scans for current models and move them to the main library as vehicles are discontinued?

My grand scheme would be that eventually we get enough of the full sheets scanned that some of our members who make stickers, could make whole sheets for us for a reasonable price. Then we could just log into their website and purchase sheets of whatever we need for whichever model we need. Basically like what some of our sponsers have for the more current models, but instead for discontinued models.

I'd much rather just spend $8 to buy a sheet from someone who knows what they're doing than to try to do it myself. I have, and with mixed results... What sucks, is that they dont' exist for us to buy them.
In regards to copyrights, reposting the user manuals may be a non-issue if we get permission from Fisher-Price, Peg-Perego, etc. I wonder how difficult it would be to get a response from them regarding something like that.
Last edited by chozian on Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chozian wrote:In regards to copyrights, reposting the user manuals may be a non-issue if we get permission from Fisher-Price, Peg-Perego, etc. I wonder how difficult it would be to get a response from them regarding something like that.

I think Fisher Price has pretty much all of them on their website, you just have to put in the name or model number of the vehicle:

http://service.mattel.com/us/results.as ... s&x=7&y=12

Kid Trax has the user manuals on their website, and separate service manuals they will send you if you ask (I have the one for the Kid Trax Fire Engine if anyone wants it).

Don't know about Peg Perego, never tried. Wouldn't mind one for my Goucho Grande though if anyone has a link.
SigEp wrote:Kid Trax has the user manuals on their website, and separate service manuals they will send you if you ask (I have the one for the Kid Trax Fire Engine if anyone wants it).

PDF Form, not hard copy.
jparthum wrote:I could see where stickers and manuals might create a civil liability issue, if the site operators are 'involved'. But I don't think there would be much legal recourse from copyrighters, if it just happens on the site without their 'involvement' ;) (other than demanding they be removed :roll: ).

I wonder what the copyright deal is on things that are discontinued/obsolete?
By CJB
I don't think it matters. I don't believe copyrights have a time frame.

The federal 1997 No Electronic Theft Act makes it a crime to exchange copyrighted materials for money or other copyrighted materials. Punishments range from up to one year in prison, for exchanging a copyrighted work worth more than $1,000, to up to six years in prison for the second offense of distributing ten copies of a copyrighted work worth $2,500 or more.
CJB wrote:I don't think it matters. I don't believe copyrights have a time frame.

The federal 1997 No Electronic Theft Act makes it a crime to exchange copyrighted materials for money or other copyrighted materials. Punishments range from up to one year in prison, for exchanging a copyrighted work worth more than $1,000, to up to six years in prison for the second offense of distributing ten copies of a copyrighted work worth $2,500 or more.

OK, but what about giving them away? As in an open free scan library? I don't think any decals are worth a grand anyway...
Last edited by sea_stork on Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
If they were to pursue it, I think they would claim that there were XXX,XXX visitors to the site while the material was available, so that number times the value of the material is the potential damage. :roll:

IMO, "BitTorrent" files would be the best solution. A file containing the scanned image would be stored (anonymously) on one or more user's PCs, and a tiny .torrent file would be created to facilitate sharing. The .torrent file is effectively a 'map' of which PCs are storing any 'bits' of the original file. Since the .torrent file itself doesn't contain any copyrighted information, posting it (or a link to it) does not violate any copyright laws. Each user sharing the actual file would technically be subject to liability, but it would be too difficult and costly for them to pursue each individual user in order to get a judgement for as little as one infringement. It would be similar to recording a copyrighted TV show - It's technically a copyright infringement, but Hollywood would go broke trying to pursue each individual "law breaker". 8-)
Last edited by jparthum on Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
I emailed MGA Entertainment, the owner of little tikes, and asked them about permission for the Hummer decals. We'll see if they answer...
Is there anyway to let people know when they are being referred to. Like I just posted something about a corvette I thought Taz had don't mods to. Is there a way we can link the name so that person will know they are being "talked about". Not sure if that's the best way to describe it.

I was very lucky to find a Mario Kart on craigsli[…]

Gaucho grande

Hello everyone. Does anyone have parts for Gauch[…]

I will arrange can we exchange information offline[…]

Dune Racer 48v 1000 watt

After over-volting the stock motors and completely[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course