HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Anything that doesn't fit somewhere else & general forum updates
By K0demonkey
Is there a tool you can buy to put threads on the end of the power wheels axles to do away with the push caps?

I'd like to get away from the push caps so that I can easily swap/modify the wheels on my power wheels.

Shan
By wkearney99
There's likely NOT enough length to get nylon insert nuts in there. I know, I tried on one of my Jeeps. The good news is you can spend $6 to buy a 7/16 metal rod, cut it to the needed longer length and then put your own threads on it. Putting in a whole new axle is trivially simple. Just remove the old one by popping off the pushnuts and sliding it out. It's that simple.

Another alternative is a threaded collar. I picked up some from McMaster-Carr to see how they'd work out, but haven't installed them yet. They're damned pricey though, a lot more than a fresh axle and your time with a thread cutting die.

Yet another alternative is to drill a hole through the existing shaft and put a cotter pin or other retaining clip through the hole. HF sells a V-shaped drill press guide that makes it very easy to get the hole perfectly centered. Or if you like, thread the end and then drill a hole through BOTH the nut and the shaft. This would guarantee the hole would align with the nut, as it's nigh on impossible to do it otherwise. Or use a slotted (aka castellated) nut as they're designed for use with a cotter pin.
By wkearney99
^ plenty indeed, in some cases way too much. I've got a lifted Fire & Rescue with the 14" tires and the was at least 2" too much axle. For the stock plastic wheels there's barely a 3/8" (if that). So for rubber ones I'd still recommend cutting a shorter axle from a fresh rod.
Hello new to modding PW :)

Hey Guys i'm new here to modding PW's just started[…]

Dune racer build up help

It's only the housings that are different: small a[…]

Need wiring help

A potentiometer is a three-terminal resistor with […]

Motion Trendz Buzz Lightyear Car

So has anyone found a good place to find these gea[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course