I have a parts donor I picked up awhile back. It's pretty rough, so no reviews. The front wheels, and maybe GBs and motors are good, I'd have to test them. It was painted black. Shifter handle is broken, and looks like a weak point.
So tonight I got one of these in the house and torn into it. That led to an entire takedown. The shifter was rusted and stuck. It works much like a peg shifter so the one sided spring was a must. Replaced the springs and cleaned the contacts. Now that I have it running, I tore it back apart and ripped out the wiring harness. There is ample room for a 6v12ah battery in addition to the 12v12ah battery in the compartment. That is gonna be a must. Since it has the 775 motors and the big hummer type GBs, I have no doubt it will handle it. Four wheel drive isnt gonna happen without an entire makeover of the steering. The axle shafts are 1/2" so the hummer wheels that I was planning on putting on it might not happen. I did drill one out to see how the fit and the axles arent long enough. They are made like the Gator axles. Interestingly enough, the rear motor cover area and the rear bed detach and fit almost exactly like a Gator. The soundboard and horn assy were toast so that will either be replaced or changed to something else. I was right about the potential. There is alot of room for lights. Im gonna have to ponder the wheel issue though. They are thin I think even when new. May have to get a new set and fill them with foam and then do the timing belt addition for traction. Im gonna take some pics and upload them here shortly. Tomorrow, Im pressure washing the tub and finding new foam for the roll bars.
Last edited by ms1120 on Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I was able to make some progress today and get this thing back together this evening. Its about 80% complete. I decided on a Yellow and Black color scheme. Before you say it, no the front end isnt suffering from toe issues. The wheels are just mocked up so I dont have to remove them again when I put the lights in tomorrow evening. The new foam is 1/2" pipe insulation and since it has adhesive already on it to join each side closed, I just added the yellow electrical tape for effect.
Last edited by ms1120 on Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
I also plan on *painting the seat black with yellow racing stripes *adding traction bands (timing belts) to the rear tires *installing overhead lights so that she can see in the dark *add padding to the head rests since the factory didnt bother
I have already -filled the tires with foam -painted the entire car -took the play out of the rear axle -cussed at it alot -replaced the foam on the roll bars with new foam -rebuilt every switch because the springs were rusted out -built a new bumper with the salavaged parts I have and pcv -installed headlights
Last edited by ms1120 on Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Gambler wrote:I will have to pull it out tomorrow I know I had to do some re-engineering on the front bumper
Me too. I built a bumper for one of them using what was left of the second ones bumper. I used PVC to make it a tube style bumper. Everything Im using is going to make the second one short that much more.
So the headlights are in, front cover bolted back down and illuminated switch added to the dash. While I had the front cover off, I did some measuring and it was as if they intended on it having a secret 6v battery added on the side opposite of the steering rod. So I added one. Since I wasnt going to be able to take it back out, I also added a plug to the 6v and 12v batteries so I can plug the Schumacher directly into the battery compartment. I have to charge them on 2 different chargers, but it beats having to take them in and out. If the rain, wind and cold will hold off tomorrow, we will see how it likes 18volts.
Gambler- Im definately gonna need the parts. I will get you a Paypal in the next few days. Gwinny- I filled the front tires with foam since the back tires left alot to be desired and will be replaced anyway. Filling thin walled tires with expanding foam helps them not to flex so much so they are more solid and get punctured by gravel alot less easily. The tires on this are like a peg quad. Very thin and flexible. Im working on getting a video uploaded now.
I have been letting the Rhino sit for the last few months and mainly because of the thin busted tires. Today, while at Harbor Freight (for a few mins lol) they had their 10inch tires on sale for $4 ea. They are a little smaller than stock but since this vehicle has 1/2 inch axles, I thought it would be a good project to add the rubber tires to. This will be my first rubber tire conversion so who knows how this will go. It will make the vehicle more realistic so it should be a good upgrade to a tired project.