KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Review your power wheels (or others) here for all to see!
By Kurt_Woloch
We purchased the Peg-Perego Corral T-Rex on June 30th at a sale of a local discount merchant (Hofer). Out of the box, most of the vehicle is already assembled. You need to add the handlebar, the front bumper, the gear lever, the dashboard, the hand grips, the mudguard wings, the exhaust pipes, the aerial and the hub covers. Sadly, the screws that came with our unit didn't quite match what's needed... they were the correct number, but obviously in some places smaller screws were needed when there were only bigger ones left. So we fixed the important things (that are needed to make the vehicle work) and left off some of the other ones. We did something special with one of the exhaust pipes later, but that would be off topic here.

While assembling the vehicle, you also have to charge the battery. The manuals of the charger and the vehicle give conflicting times for how long you need to charge it... according to the charger manual, it's 14 hours, according to the vehicle manual you should charge it first for 18 hours, but never leave it on for more than 24 hours. The charger has a orange light which lights up orange while the battery is charging and slowly changes to green when the battery turns full. To fill the supplied 12V/8Ah battery after having completely depleted it (OK, not really completely, but to the point where speed has gone down considerably) actually takes only about 7 hours until the light turns green. I found out that if you end the charge at that point, the battery is about 90% full. I'm not sure how long it realy takes to get to 100%, though. However, when the light turns green, the charger also cools down and is only a few degrees warmer than the environment, so I guess at that point it's not pumping too much energy into the battery. The charger is also pretty lightweight (I think 151 grams) and fits in the battery compartment besides the battery, though I'm not sure if it could break by taking it along on a ride due to the shock.

Now for power and speed. The vehicle is rated at a speed of 2 MPH in 1nd gear, and 4 MPH in 2nd. With me on it (weighing about 156 lbs with clothing) it does about 3.7 MPH in 2nd gear. The vehicle is also pretty powerful... according to the manual, it's suitable for children from 3 to 8 years (a maximum weight is not given), but it's able to climb a 10% incline with me on it in 2nd gear at about 2.5 MPH. On steeper inclines, the circuit breaker will trip, but you can climb even steeper inclines in 1st gear... I've slowly creeped up a 15% incline on it, however I wouldn't recommend doing this for too long because I suspect this will strain the motors pretty badly. On more than 15%, you will run into traction problems. It has 2 motors, by the way, running on 12V. In 1st gear, the motors are wired in series, leading to sort of a differential effect, and in 2nd gear they are wired in parallel. When not stepping on the gas pedal, the motors are either shorted out or connected to a low impedance, so that they act like a brake. However, there is a position between the 1st and 2nd gear where the motors are not connected so that there's no strong breaking effect, which is useful if you want to push or drag the vehicle. However, it still breaks a bit because the motors themselves are always connected to the wheels. Actually, if you go down a steep hill in 1st gear and depress the pedal, you can do some regenerative breaking because the motors, running faster than rated for 1st gear, will pump out more than 6V each and thus return some charge to the battery (never more than was consumed before, of course). Uneven terrain like gravel or cobblestone doesn't impress the vehicle too much... it runs over pretty much anything due to its big wheels, and it's also able to jump small curbs (up to about 2-3 cm in height).

The running time is much better than expected (judging from my previous experience with the Charton Turbo Kart, whose review you can read in the old forum). The vehicle takes me about 4 km / 2.5 miles on one charge, that's about 40 minutes of riding time. With the 12 Ah battery which is available by Peg-Perego, this would probably rise to at least an hour of riding time and 3.75 miles of distance (probably a bit more because the battery is strained less in comparison to its capacity).

As for body strength, as I expected from Peg-Perego, the vehicle is pretty sturdy, but if I sit on the back part of the seat (the only way I barely fit on it), the body flexes considerably. You could see this as a sort of suspension, but I'm always afraid it could flex too much and not bend back anymore, or break. I've also lost some of the screws on bottom of the vehicle (which aren't covered in the manual at all), and with me riding it, the left and right halves of the grey body are torn apart and leave a gap in the middle between them. To prevent this, the screws have to be re-tightened regularly. Also, the front bumper doesn't fit too tightly, but sometimes seperates from the vehicle if too much force is applied. I've lost it once while riding and once while dragging the vehicle with it. If you do want to drag the vehicle behind you, the front bumber acts as some sort of grip which gives the most comfortable position to drag it (other than riding it, of course), but you have to be careful not to have the bumper come off.

Apart from the body problems, the vehicle has held up pretty well so far. I've only had it for three weeks, but I've already taken it out for a ride about 15 times, so I've already ridden it for more than 35 miles in total. We'll see how it continues to hold up, or what breaks first. :-)

Here you can see the vehicle in action:
Attachments
Kurt neben Peg-Perego Corral T-Rex 2 klein.JPG
The unloaded vehicle with me standing beside it
Kurt sitzt auf Peg-Perego Corral T-Rex klein.JPG
The vehicle with me sitting on it
By sea_stork
Dude, if you liked the T-Rex, you should try the Polaris. I rode one around the yard a couple times. :mrgreen:

I wish I could fit in a Lightning Mcqueen... :cry:

Cobblestone? Where are you located?
By Kurt_Woloch
drew510 wrote:
Kurt_Woloch wrote: I've already taken it out for a ride about 15 times, so I've already ridden it for more than 35 miles in total.

Ummm, Kurt, you know this is a toy for kids, right?? :lol:

Ummm... well, I can think of several answers here...
first, I don't have kids. Then, if we all only did what we're supposed to do, this site wouldn't be here at all. We're not supposed to mod these vehicles either, are we?
Then, it was pretty cheap... it was on sale for only EUR 79,99, when the regular street price is about EUR 220-300. So I just couldn't pass this one up. And I haven't had so much fun since 2004 when I had an accident with my electric scooter.

Finally...
Oh, yes I know, yes I know, yes I know now. I, I'm willing and able, so I throw my cards on your table.

sea_stork wrote:Dude, if you liked the T-Rex, you should try the Polaris. I rode one around the yard a couple times.
I wish I could fit in a Lightning Mcqueen...
Cobblestone? Where are you located?

Yes, I know the Polaris would even have been better, but then it's also bigger... I can carry the T-Rex over the stairs to my flat pretty easily since it only weighs about 34 lbs. And there wasn't a Polaris on sale for such a ridiculously low price... since this is a toy and not meant for going from point A to B (though I've already brought home groceries from some of my trips), I didn't want to spend too much for a vehicle of this type.

Well, the advantage of a quad is that it's relatively open, unlike a Lightning McQueen. But I've seen a video on Youtube where a grown man is riding a Lightning McQueen... he's not sitting on the seats, but on the body behind them. Look here:

Finally, I'm located in Vienna, Austria, at Siemensstraße 14/6/42 in the 21st district. The exact location on Google Maps is: 48.274648,16.411667
And there are some streets with cobblestone sidewalks around here... for instance, Amtsstraße: 48.277417,16.406512
By gwinnythepooh
Hi there. Can you tell me what you mean by circuit breaker tripped, I think I am having this problem in my son's Thundercat and am looking for someone who knows what they are talking about.
How do I check/remedy this?
Thanks!!!

Sydni
By Kurt_Woloch
Hi there! By circuit breaker I mean the thing that's described in the manual as follows:

CAUTION! When operating in overload conditions, such as soft deep sand, mud or rough uneven terrain, the overload circuit breaker will automatically disconnect the power. After 10 or more seconds, the circuit breaker will automatically reset, however you must eliminate overload conditions to resume normal driving.

Depending on how severe the overload is, it might take several seconds until the breaker trips, or it may trip almost instantly when the overload is very severe so that the motion is essentially blocked. However, as they said, it resets automatically after about 10 seconds. I've had that happen several times already, but it always reset itself, and it also doesn't seem to trip any sooner than it did at the start, like it was told here in the forum about Power Wheels circuit breakers.

Actually, they say that there are two breakers, one in the vehicle itself, and one in the battery (or rather, in the blue thing on top of the actual battery). I don't konw which one of the two actually tripped. But what problem do you have with this? Normally, the breaker only trips if I'm trying to go up a steep incline, but it doesn't ever trip while riding on the flat. And since it resets itself, that means the problem normally remedies itself. Which problem exactly do you have?
By gwinnythepooh
Well, Saturday it kept just shutting off but would start again 10 seconds later as you say. My son was riding in 100 degree weather in an empty fields.... fairly flat some small ruts. it quit on flat land.
We have always had accelerator switch issues and I have a new one coming today. But I could always take it out and clean it and it would run again.
Yesterday he was riding with a fully charged brand new battery and after about 5-10 min it just quit. and still hasnt' started again. :( Is there a fuse I may need to replace?

Thank you SO much for your help!!!
By Kurt_Woloch
gwinnythepooh wrote:Well, Saturday it kept just shutting off but would start again 10 seconds later as you say. My son was riding in 100 degree weather in an empty fields.... fairly flat some small ruts. it quit on flat land.
Yesterday he was riding with a fully charged brand new battery and after about 5-10 min it just quit. and still hasnt' started again. :( Is there a fuse I may need to replace?

Judging from the videos you posted, your son isn't riding it very hard... compared with my videos, your son riding in the grass seems to strain the motors/gearbox about as much as me riding on pavement. And that shouldn't cause it to shut off by far. When I'm going up a 10% incline, the load is much bigger than that, and it still doesn't shut off. Unless... yours has a different motor / gearbox than mine, I was only judging from the sounds the vehicles make. Yours looks pretty fast... could it be it's faster than mine? Mine's rated at 6.5 km/h, which would be 4 mph. How fast is yours? If it's faster, of course that would put a bigger load on the motors at the same rider weight / terrain conditions.

CMJ wrote:This is funny, you remind me of the guy in this post: http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/foru ... C_ID=10814

He lives in Germany, maybe you were separated at birth.

Oh yeah... I read through that topic, and I think I've seen a video of him on Youtube after he purchased the Polaris 800. I don't know if we were separated at birth, though, because I can't remember anything that came before birth. As far as I know, you cannot be born unless you agree to forget everything that happened before... you only regain that memory after death. Of course there may be exceptions to that...

But it's a similar thing with me indeed. I also was dreaming of riding such vehicles regularly, and my mother (now 80 years old) always tried to talk me out of those dreams, claiming I'm an adult now, and these vehicles wouldn't be suitable for me. Still I kept on watching Youtube videos about Power Wheels and similar vehicles and imagining how well they would work with me on them. And I figured this one might work pretty well after having seen it in some videos. And it does... there are only some problems with some screws holding it together in the back part (above the rear axle).
By gwinnythepooh
Thanks for replying... I think I have the problem resolved. I took apart all switches and connections and cleaned them and we've been running smoothly ever since. I think mine is about 8-10 years old. I feel like its way fast... way way faster than a pw. It does have the bmx treads on it, but so does the pw and the cat is still way faster.

I just finished a paint job and its going to look amazing. I made a project page, but its not put back together yet, in the next few days. Then I'll take new video of him "really" riding it!! He's one crazy 2 year old

Sounds like the switch. Pop it out and test with a[…]

The project is picking up pace. The 1" tubes […]

Hey guys, it's been a while. Things got really bus[…]

PW Corvette help

So I bought a Black PW Corvette from craigslist, t[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course