KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Review your power wheels (or others) here for all to see!
By pegperegooooo
We've had our Gator HPX for a little over two years now. It was purchased as a 2nd B-day present for our oldest son.

The molding and plastic quality is top notch in my opinion. The pieces fit together precisely and the finish is uniform and nice to the eye and touch. Assembly is pretty straight forward for most people. Some will struggle, but they may also struggle figuring out how to get their toothpaste out of the tube. Basic tools are all that's needed.

It features two forward speeds and one reverse, powered by a 12 volt sealed lead acid battery. Top speed is about 5 MPH. Inn low gear and reverse it's about 2.5 MPH. The gear selector is positioned at calf level in front of the seating, between the riders. The mechanism is well built and sturdy.

The gator gets average traction in high gear when compared to other 12 volt models. In low gear it does not do as well often requiring a "bump" to get moving on slight inclines in grass. Pavement traction and level driving are both good.

The steering is rather difficult for kids under 3 years of age. It requires a lot of strength to turn, especially when sitting still. When the vehicle is in motion the steering is easier. However when trying to teach your kids how to drive it you will find yourself walking beside them and bending over to steer a lot. The turn radius is good allowing them to easily do a U-turn in tight spots.

It features a dump bed that's released by a hoop located between the seats and bed. It's placement is kind of awkward and hard for the kids to reach but the kids do love dropping the tailgate and dumping their load. That being said their load should be light, such as leaves and sticks, not rocks and bricks.

We have run ours at least 100 times on 12 Volts with no problems at all with anything. The original battery continues to perform well with long run times. Ours is stored inside and the condition of the plastic has remained factory new in appearance. The stickers have not pealed or wrinkled in any way as well. The tires show very little wear, but we do drive primarily on grass.

The Pro's:
Good quality construction
Good power
Very durable
Dump bed offers additional play option
Replacement parts are readily available and reasonably priced. (Not so with PW's)
Will handle an 18 Volt Conversion with ease.

The Cons:
Steering is tough for young kids
Traction could be better with a little rubber
Battery compartment is small which leaves you no room for additional batteries unless it's in the gearbox area.

I would rate it 4 out of 5 star's and recommend that for kids under 3 years old start them with a quad, such as the Peg Perego Trail Boss we love ours.

gatorpic.jpg
gatorpic.jpg (86.73 KiB) Viewed 6154 times
Last edited by pegperegooooo on Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By blake711
I couldn't have said it better myself. We have had our 8 months and I can agree on every point you made. Great review.
By kickingrass
I agree in all points,we've had ours for almost three years now. I added an extra battery in the gb area for longer run time,and the weight helped the minor traction issues a bit. This thing is a tank and its the ONLY one I've never had to push home. I've ridden it and they sometimes putt 4 or even 5 kids in it,or pull the wagon with it and no issues. It is on its second set of rear tires now, but it gets used a lot and abused so they held up better than expected. Can't go wrong even if you pay retail...
By bobholthaus
pegperegooooo- I'm doing the advanced auto parts LED headlight mod to my son's Gator right now and I'm wondering how you got the screws loose in the back of the LED housing? I'm trying everything and I can't seem to get them loose. Sorry to hijack this thread, but I can't figure out how to contact you directly (your profile lists no contact info). Thanks!

BTW, we've had the Gator for three weeks and my son loves it. Adding a seconfd battery for more runtime now and will go to 18v in a year or so when he gets bored with the 12v speed.
By pegperegooooo
bobholthaus wrote:pegperegooooo- I'm doing the advanced auto parts LED headlight mod to my son's Gator right now and I'm wondering how you got the screws loose in the back of the LED housing? I'm trying everything and I can't seem to get them loose. Sorry to hijack this thread, but I can't figure out how to contact you directly (your profile lists no contact info). Thanks!

BTW, we've had the Gator for three weeks and my son loves it. Adding a seconfd battery for more runtime now and will go to 18v in a year or so when he gets bored with the 12v speed.

I just had the right size screwdriver and if I remember right applied a lot of force with a little wiggle back and forth to break them loose. I do remember them being tight, just do your best not to strip them. Sorry there isn't a secret, good luck.

Here's a link to the old site on the headlights for those interested.
http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/foru ... C_ID=20635
Last edited by pegperegooooo on Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By sand_man_250
I also agree I have a gator but its not the HPX i relocated my battery under the dash in front of the cross bar and used nylon straps to hold it in by puttin a couple of screw through one side. I've seen the HLR upgrade any one know what thats about. traction isn't there, my daughter I've rigged my daughters to tow here beetle already with a small tow bar. just for fun.
By Whitepup
The HLR upgrade replaces the bussbar assembly that is prone to switch failure. A very nice upgrade IMO.
By chronotrigger681
I bought a brand new Hpx gator in Feb of this year. My son rides it like a mad man. Im a stonecarver by trade and he always loads up the bed with my limestone i have laying around. Its a great Peg Pergo overall but has a few major cons in my opinion...

Pros... Great traction with a little weight in back
has a dumpbed!! and tailgate!!
Very strong gearbox and motors

Cons... Tail gate never stays closed latches always give in and tailgate opens easily
Darn thermal breaker is a big bother... small hills even trip it
The dump bed has a semi metal frame that gives it alot of support but its not really mounted very good at all and i had to add my own bolts and nuts after reinstalling it 2 times
Other than that i would choose this one over the other 10 Power wheels i got here. It outruns em and out torque's em 2 to 1 easy.

Hi everyone... Looking to buy a first powered whe[…]

Largest safe fuse?

Thank you! Swapped to a 40amp and that seemed to […]

Thanks for the info. I am thinking of upgrading th[…]

Taz, I am looking for a full steering linkage for[…]

HobbyMasters