KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Have a good/bad experience with a seller or buyer? Post it here. Not a bash session, see inside for guidelines.
By xr4tic
FYI...
I am currently extremely upset with ML TOYS. I have a close friend who is a single mom. She purchased the upgrade for her sons Hurricane. She paid $240 for the motors and gearboxes. After installing them for her, her son who is 4 and 40lbs, rode it on flat grass for about 10 minutes before one of the gearboxes stripped the second and third gear. Contacted ML TOYS and they blamed the child for their defect. No big deal, we let that go, and ordered the replacement gears from ML TOYS for the defective gearbox(another $80, we ordered a couple of each) , replaced them, and off we go for another ride. This time, within 3 minutes of riding on flat grass, the other gearbox presents a problem. I removed the gearbox and found that the set screw on the shaft of the motor was not set causing the NEW METAL GEAR to be eat up. Contacted them by email, gave them my number, and they answered once again that it was her fault and that her son must be abusing the jeep. I am listing the emails as a PSA, in hopes that no one else gets robbed from ML TOYS. Keep in mind, I was not asking for a refund, just to replace the faulty parts. I also included photos of all gears and gearboxes.

Mandy,
Sorry for the slow response. Not sure what happened to receiving emails this afternoon.
Bad news and good news. Bad news is that the gear shredding you have is caused by driving technique. For the gears below the steel to fail requires a sudden jolt to the nylon gears. That comes from a driver reversing direction without stopping, going off a curb-like drop, hitting a non-moving object, or something to that effect. Doesn't matter how new or old the gears are. Just like you can shred a real car's transmission on the first day you have a new car. Also if you have any rubber additive on the tires or tires that aren't stock you will always shred gears. You didn't include any pics of the rear tires so I thought I'd mention it just in case.
But here's the good news. The nylon gears are dirt cheap. We have them on the website and can ship them out as soon as ordered. Some people will keep spares until the kids learn to drive without destroying them. Under normal driving the Stage III gearboxes will hold up.
One other issue we noticed in your pics... Your battery setup. Can't see what the amperage on the extra battery is but if it is not 9.5amps you are going to ruin both batteries. Also the stock Power Wheels battery has a 30amp breaker built in which you may find will start popping and resetting when run at 18 volts.
Hope that helps. Let me know if you need anything else.
Michael

Mandy Hawkins <1313mhawkins@gmail.com> wrote:

Hey guys, now the other gear box has issues. The gear on the shaft of the motor had a loose set screw (you don't use loctite?) Causing the gear to wear down teeth on the metal first gear. Please call me with a solution. For the price I paid for these, I need someone to replace and fix this issue. This is a factory mistake

Mandy,
The pinion Gear comes off if the rear end gets bound up, like when a gear is damaged. It doesn't come off and then cause damage because once it pops free the motor is no longer powering the gearbox.
I understand that you are frustrated but you must see that now with 2 failures there is something going on either in the vehicle or the way it is being driven. If you do see something that is defective from manufacturing then we'll cover it of course. Send a pic of what it is if you think you've found that. And let me know if there's anything we can do from here to help you find the issue.
Michael

Look, this is a gearbox that was manufactured by your team and sent to me. It has been rode maybe 15 minutes since I bought these upgrades. I went ahead and bought the replacement gears for the first box, put them in and in two minutes, the other gearbox fails. ??? How is that not a problem? I have spent over $300 with you and you want even fix a defect. The set screw was not even secured on the shaft. How is that my fault? Please contact me at

Mandy,
You've had 2 separate failures on 2 different gearboxes within 15 minutes of installation. There is no reason to believe that continuing to put new gearboxes in is good ng to have any different result. Finding out why your vehicle is ripping up gears is what you need to do so that your kid can ride happily. Here's a list of some of the more common causes to check:
Driver driver driver. Shifting directions without stopping, hitting nonmovable objects, driving off curbs, etc, will destroy gears in seconds.
Bent rear axle, no matter how slight the bend.
Any rubber additive to tires or non-stock tire.
Damage to the vehicle's plastic around where the gearboxes sit into place.
Too much sideways play in the rear axle. Or pressing the cap nuts so tight there's no play at all.
If you want to send pics of anything so we can help you find the source please do. Send a pic of the worn down steel gear so we can try to see if there was a manufacturing defect as well.
Michael
Last edited by jasncab on Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
By M.L.Toys
Thank you for your post bringing people the awareness that we do have a clearly posted warranty policy which states that stripping a gear out does not mean there is a manufacturing defect. When you add more power to a toy, even with our steel gear, improper driving can destroy a gear in minutes. Even seconds. That's not new news to the experienced modders here. The warranty is specifically for anything that we manufacture incorrectly. If we screw up we cover it.

Now in this particular customer's case we spent the last week emailing back and forth with her many times, providing what we would consider top customer service by answering quickly and politely. Not getting the answer that you want to hear doesn't mean you're not getting good customer service. Not an hour ago we nailed down the problem with her second gearbox failure and are sending the customer replacement parts at our expense. We had a batch of steel gears that had some holes off-center. The earlier pics that we were sent didn't indicate this nor did the customer catch it, but the last pic clearly showed it.

Once again we remind everyone that you are modifying a vehicle and with adding more power comes the risk of tearing up more parts. No different then modifying the motor on a real car. There is no bullet proof Power Wheels.
By 66deuce
Before you try to trash ML Toys here, you may want to provide details and pictures reasonably demonstrating that the failures are not a result of end use. It's pretty clear you omitted the fact that you have already altered the thing to 18V, which is obviously going to be harder on everything. The last email from ML Toys to you gave you good information on problems to look for in the toy, as well as driving habits or terrain that will cause damage. Bottom line, if you shock them or create excess strain, the plastic gears break.

ML Toys has noted that there was a problem with manufacturing that caused your second issue, and that they have sent you a new unit at no cost. You cannot expect more than that.

I have a couple of hurricanes, and they're really pretty stout as BPROs go. So far my kids have only managed to break one outdrive on the older one with the white hubs, and that was because my daughter stopped with the wheel on a piece of lumber and then went again, the tread lug getting a solid bit on the wood. These gearboxes, stock or not, won't hold up to high traction. As any of the modders here know, once you start adding spikes, lugs or rubber tread, things go crunch-especially with increased voltage. BPROs do not have slipper clutches or any other mechanism to mitigate high resistance or shock; they rely on tire slippage to prevent damage to gears.
Last edited by 66deuce on Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By xr4tic
Thank you for the input 66deuce, as soon as I figure out how to post the pictures I will. As for the replacement parts, ML TOYS admits to a factory defect but will not send us the parts unless we remove this post. Smells like blackmail and I for one do not do well with ultimatums. I will post only the facts and emails from this company. This forum is to help people with issues with their KIDS TOYS. This is not the only incident I have found ML TOYS to have regarding customer service. Please understand I am not out to get them. I only want to describe my experience. Right now my friend is out over $300, and a months worth of emails with a company that admits to fault but will not fix the issue unless we follow his demands. I am interested to hear how you would handle this if it were you. Thanks

Seems familiar:
http://www.thesqueakywheel.com/complain ... t50800.cfm

http://www.bbb.org/new-jersey/business- ... #breakdown
By iDz Bowl
Why would the 18 volt set up even be an issue when the description of the gears clearly states it has been tested up to 24 volts? All I know is that I don't have that kind of money to throw down the toilet on stuff that doesn't last. It's been clear that they have had issues with customer service for a while now. If xr4tic could show the email stating that replacement won't be sent out until their post is deleted, I think that would settle most people's mind.
By xr4tic
Here you go:

Wow, after that you slam our company on modifiedpowerwheels.com anyway? Please remove the post and then we will ship your replacement.
Michael
http://www.MLToys.com

All I want is a new metal gear so my son can finally ride his birthday present he got back in July. Here are more pictures of the jeep.

On Sep 9, 2015 4:37 PM, "MLToys" <mltoys.com@gmail.com> wrote:

Mandy,
The only reason you have to consider our customer service "bad" is because we aren't giving you the only answer that you are willing to accept. It is from vast experience with these toys that, from the description of what happened and the pics that you sent, if we merely sent you replacement parts they would do the same thing again. Our goal is to help you fix your toy, not just throw free parts your way. That's why we have the reputation that you heard about.
Michael

But this one takes the cake:

On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 10:09 AM, MLToys <mltoys.com@gmail.com> wrote:

Mandy,
My employees wanted me to cut you off entirely after your MPW post. They get paid based on sales and all your post is doing is hurting their bottom line. I was trying to do the right thing based on the pic of the one gear that is out of round.
Now you're sending me an invoice from an order placed in February and asking for what? Money back? Free parts? Your order with the steel gear wasn't placed until July! And then you try to blackmail us with social media threats?
I'm fighting telling my inner instinct to tell you we're done here. We're not going to continue to send you anything free or paid while you're out bashing our company. That's no way to get our help. I told you I would send you a replacement steel gear. Retract your MPW post and then I'll send it out asap. After that we are asking that you don't purchase from us anymore and I am guessing you don't want to deal with us anymore anyway.
Michael
Performance Parts for your
Power Wheels

Just got a pair of the banebot 775 18v version yes[…]

Motor stock 12v

Two things: (A) I don't see an integrated cooling […]

I'll have to get back to you on the minimum shaft […]

At 16.8 volts I'd just go with the 550s. They'll […]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course