HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
All things related to paint and body work
By drewboogie
Has anyone tried Plasti-dip on their PW? I have a new to me yellow hummer in need of paint. I don't really feel like sanding and clear coating and all that. I know multiple people that have plastidipped their wheels on their cars/trucks as well as doing a whole car. I plan on trying it, unless someone has some feedback that i shouldn't even think about it.

Thanks,
Drew
By All4TheBoys
Just seems like it would be even more work than painting. I have done some tools but would just stick to the painting process for power wheels. If you do give it a spin, please give us some feedback and pics. Good luck.
By schoeny
I wouldn't suggest it. It doesn't hold up well to contact. I've painted a couple things with it (car wheels, car trim, the kicker panels on my SUV), and anytime you bump it with your foot, it usually peels up and I'm going to have to retouch it all the time. Don't think it would be worth it on a PW since they are climbing in and out all the time, the body panel they climb over would be a mess after a couple entries/exits.
By Gt-R
Yeah Plasti-dip doesn't hold up for anything on a power wheels. I sprayed around 6 layers on my little brothers and within bout 5 minutes it was all pulled off.
By chevyiiguy
i diped the steeing wheel on my sons jeep for more grip but it peels away to easy.
By Booper
You could wrap it, I plan on doing my daughters in Matte pink with some accent stripes or something.

Cheers!
Ben
By drewboogie
I was afraid it wouldn't stick right. Looks like i'll be painting it not plasti-dipping it. Now I need to find some patterns and get the stickers made up.
By MistahT
I've had amazing success with PlastiDip, but like all things in depends on how you use it. It's not for everyone, but you can have great success with it. Please don't dismiss it.

As with regular spray paint, the surface must be properly prepped. Wash and clean the surface, and once dry I use alcohol to wipe everything down about 30-60 minutes before spray. If you touch it shortly after spraying, of course you will damage it. Just like regular paint it requires about a week to cure. Top coats and automotive waxes can also be applied to strengthen the paint job.

I've plastidipped my motorcycle a few times over the years, each paint job sitting for 12-24 months through DAILY use of 1-2 hours of commuting and weekend journeys upto a thousand miles in two days time, abuse from the sun, heat, cold, boot scraped, magnetic tank bags, jacket zippers, etc. I've never had any of my paint jobs tear, rip, or become damaged.

So in short, it depends on how you use it. Dip can be a great asset. Properly prep the surface, build up lots of coats, and give it ample dry time. I'm about to dip my son's Lightning McQueen and then he can choose another color next year if he chooses. If I spray a complicated pearl or holographic dip and mess up, peel off and try again. Here is a little eye candy of my bike throughout the years.

I don't have anything written up on the homebrew c[…]

Nice! That thing is flying pretty well :lol: . I[…]

Full Wire Harness ($150) I have an unfinished proj[…]

I know this thread is getting kind of old by now b[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course