HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
All things related to paint and body work
By DefensiveWound
I'm painting these for Drew510. I'm documenting it here because I think the steps I take will be beneficial to some of you during your projects.

This is what we are starting with. I'm using the red plastics for two reasons- 1. They are brand new and 2. they were already off of a bike and sticker free, so less work for me :D I don't have another seat section, hence the blue.

First things first- Get rid of this ugly raised sticker border!

After removing the sticker, I used a razor blade perpendicular to the rib to shave it down. The plastic should shave off in very thin layers (as you can see stuck to my hand) and with ease. Be careful where the plastic starts to curve up towards the seat because the corners of you razor may come into contact with the plastic and cause a deep cut.

Then I used a Dremel type tool with a sanding bit to sand it down a little more precisely. Don't get too aggressive here. You just want to get it flush with the surrounding plastic. The plastic dips a little lower right up next to the rib, don't go that low.

Then I hand sanded it (150 grit) to show all of my low spots and to get rid of any left over flashing from previous steps. At this point the rib should be lower than or flush with the surrounding plastic with the exception of the spot right next to the rib; that should be even lower.

This is where I hit a snag :x The plastic is cracked right where the saddle bag goes. Drew, what do you want to do here? Should I try to fix it? I fear that a child may lean on it and the paint will crack and chip as it flexes if left untouched. The plan to fix it- Chase the crack with a dremel bit to open it up a little without going all the way through (I guess make a V in it?) and then back fill it with super glue, sand and bondo. I'm just not sure how well it would hold to getting leaned on.

Next step is to bondo the low spots.
Last edited by DefensiveWound on Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By DefensiveWound
Apply bondo over the area and sand smooth. I suggest using a sanding bock on flat surfaces. Start with a heavier grit, 120-150 grit, until it is pretty even then finish it off with a quick wet sanding using 600 grit. This will help to get rid of the aggressive sanding scratches and help feather the edges better.

Next was the crack- I chased out the crack with the same sanding bit (because I could not find my little saw bit) and further refined the notch with a razor blade then sanded the notch with 120 grit. Cleaned and then filled the crack with super glue and let it set up over night. Super glue seems to take forever to dry on plastic but will fuse your fingers instantly :?

You could also try plastic welding to fix this.

Clean thoroughly and apply bondo...

Then sand smooth.

I switched to the black head light piece instead because the backside comes in direct contact with the "frame" and slides up against it when steering. This way, when the paint eventually gets rubbed off it should not really show the way the red would have.

Working on priming now.
By drew510
Hey DW, I just found out my father-in-law is coming down to Portland tomorrow, so I will send my "cores" with him. You want the same items as the first picture of this thread, right - front fender, main body, headlight mount piece? Do you want a couple badges? I'll shoot you a PM as well for your contact info.
By DefensiveWound
Original paint wrinkled on me because it was too cold out so I switched up my technique to this-http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1801 and it came out flawless. This is before wet sanding.

Still need to re do the tank and fender then move on to the artwork.
By DefensiveWound
Finished wet sanding and now working on the art work.

Drew- let me know if this "O" is too small for your taste. Keep in mind that the flames will be trailing behind it also. Is the color right?
Last edited by DefensiveWound on Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By drew510
I think it looks fine (size & color). It is hard to tell from the photo, but the shape of the O might be a little off. Take a look at this: Image

See how the sides are thicker than the top and bottom. Once you do the flames and all the shading, you might not be able to tell - I don't know.
By drew510
Now that I look at it more, I am thinking it is all part of your shading effect because if I put the two layers together, the shape is more accurate. Regardless, I am sure it will turn out great!! :-)
Last edited by drew510 on Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By DefensiveWound
That image didn't show up.

I got the light source fixed but I can't seem to get a good pic of it with my camera. There will be a yellow trim around the "O" that should fix the overall shape. I'll get more pics up as I go.
By DefensiveWound
Best pic I could get of it. Camera didn't catch the detail; it looks way better in person!

Like I said, the outline will be covered with yellow trim which will clean up the edge.
Last edited by DefensiveWound on Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By DefensiveWound
I just locked it down with a coat of clear. This way, if I mess up, I don't have to start all the way over; I'll just start right back here! I will do this after each successful layer.
By DefensiveWound
drew510 wrote:Ha! I saw that! Well, not to add any pressure, but I submitted an application with the University of Oregon to have Coach Chip Kelly and/or some of the football team autograph it. Like your thoughts on where you think would be a good place if that does happen. Think of two scenarios: 1-3 sigs or 4 or more. My thoughts are if it is just one or a couple, somewhere on the base of the main body OR maybe the exhaust pipes. If more than a few, then use the seat. Even though it is not attached to the bike and could be lost (or stolen), I can't really think of another location that wouldn't detract from the overall look of the bike. Thoughts?

The seat was my first thought but I would be afraid that little kid butts would rub them off. You would have to have a color other than black on the seat to do so, I may be able to work something on my end but you would need to clear it (flat clear should work). You could always have two seats for it, one for show (signatures) and one for go (without sigs). If it's only 1-3 sigs then it may be wise to make a blank sticker to replace the big Harley sticker on the right side of the "engine" and have them sign that. If I think of anything else I will let you know.
By DefensiveWound
jparthum wrote:WOW, gorgeous! :shock:

And I bet the pics aren't even doing the paint job justice. 8-)

You have no idea! I can't get any of the detail (not that there is a lot right now) from the camera. I hope to have my sister bring over her really nice camera once I'm done so I can put some good pics up.
By TerryInLeesburg
Gorgeous - as usual.

Have you thought about having them sign the gas tank? You could use a Silver sharpie, then clear it.
By drew510
TerryInLeesburg wrote:Gorgeous - as usual.

Have you thought about having them sign the gas tank? You could use a Silver sharpie, then clear it.

The problem with signing the tank is I don't want it to take away from the design. He still has more to add to it.

CJB - it will 'hopefully" be signed by the Oregon football coach and/or team members. This Harley will be auctioned off at my neice's school. She has a severe hearing impairment and this school serves these kids. I am hoping it will raise more than a few bucks for them.
By DefensiveWound
Hey Drew, I know you are checking this post right now hoping that I updated it! Well... there is something to update but it looks way too cool to let you see it right now :lol: I'm going to let the anticipation build for now until it's all done!!!
By DefensiveWound
drew510 wrote:darn YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ha ha, I did not type darn.

:D

The tank was looking really empty and boring even with the flames so I added just little extra something and it made all the difference! I'm in between steps right now, that's why I'm really waiting to post pics. Hopefully tonight!
By drew510
Was able to do some work on PWs this weekend for the first time in much too long. Partially stripped a Minnie Mobile to trade some parts with Hootie and started some tests of different paint for the Harley. I started with Fusion Metallic Shimmer and cleared it. The pictures don't really show the detail, but I will post one later when I have the other test done. Picture the stock color of those parts with metallic flake and much deeper look to it. I like it a lot. Tonight I will paint some duplicolor chrome (if I can find it. Went to three stores and none of them carried it) and decide which one I want to use or a combination of both. Leaning a bit towards a combination - chrome head lights, tail lights, handlebars and mufflers. The engine and pipes will get the metallic shimmer. I also have the chrome "kit" that I can add. As I am writing this out, I really like the plan. I am just hoping what I do is a decent complement to DW's awesome paint work.
By DefensiveWound
Ran into some airbrush problems; it keeps spitting... really annoying. I have to re do the fire on the front fender for a third time now :x If I have to buy a new fluid nozzle then I'm going to miss your father in laws next trip down there but I will still finish in time for the auction. I still have yet to get ahold of your father in law, it keeps slipping my mind but I will email him now. I'll keep you posted.
By DefensiveWound
Here it is so far.

The funky looking wings only look funky because it is a masking. When pulled off, it will be a black negative space left behind in the flames. I would have removed them for the pic but I would have never got them back in the same place again!

Still got a couple more layers to do in the flames.

RE: Airbrush issues- My airbrush needle is not seating correctly even after cleaning so I have to assume I need a new fluid nozzle :x The fluid nozzle is only a couple millimeters long but costs about $25 :x :x Oh well, it happens.
By DefensiveWound
Thank you! I'm really happy with it so far.

Mizzou Fan 85 wrote:That thing likes AMAZING! :o you wanna fly down to KC Mo. and do some gold flames on my Mizzou jeep!? :lol:

On your tab I will!!! :lol:
Last edited by DefensiveWound on Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By drew510
Time for an update. Here are some pics of my part of the build - the EASY (compared to DW's work) part. For the engine and pipes, I used Fusion Metallic Shimmer (not textured) and Rustoleum clear coat. I still need to wet sand it. For the chrome, I used a base of three coats of Fusion shimmer, then waited 15 minutes, then two light coats of Dupli-Color Chrome ten minutes apart followed by two medium/heavy coats, also ten minutes apart. Pretty happy with the results. The pics don't do it justice. I am going to redo the chrome air cleaner cover as it acted weird. I still have to do the handle bars (forgot) and the tail light bases (coming in the mail tomorrow). DW is having issues with his airbrush not working properly, but I am confident he is going to pull through just fine.
Attachments
IMG_2052s.JPG
Top is chromed. Bottom is sanded and ready for base.
IMG_2053s.JPG
CHROME!!!
IMG_2055s.JPG
Close up pf the mufflers in chrome
IMG_2058s.JPG
Engine and pipes
Last edited by drew510 on Thu May 05, 2011 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
What are these.

I think these are what your talking about. I've n[…]

I want to upgrade a Suzuki quad

We have a Suzuki quad model # EC-1005 for my daugh[…]

ESC Videos & Info

Most cheap terminals are tin. What type of termina[…]

Hi All - It's been forever since I posted on here […]

HobbyMasters