HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
All things related to paint and body work
By Jeepnerd
Hi all, I am new to this site and to modding power wheels. I'm a Jeep lover, an electronics nerd, and a dad. SO, I decided I'd get my little one (too little to drive herself) a Jeep hurricane (used) and pimp it like my Jeep, then drive it remotely via Arduino (and some other stuff).

I've read a lot of these posts about painting. The finish on the used Jeep is okay, it's a bit sun faded but not really chalky. As soon as we got it home, I took the entire thing apart and washed (with carwash soap) every part. Not super good, but it really wasn't that dirty.

I'm not super patient, so I gathered that for people who are not patient, get a heat gun. Is this correct?

Can I avoid sanding and extensive painstaking (and messy) sanding and prep by using heat?

Should I wipe down with 99% isopropal alcohol? First?

SO sum it up... alcohol, heat, Fusion paint?

Thanks in advance, cheers.
By SigEp
I'm not an expert, but have painted many of these in the past. Regarding the heat gun, I only use them if a car is faded and I want to bring back the normal color, or if a car is chalky and I want to paint it. If it's not chalky and I plan to paint, I just lightly sand all the parts to be painted, wash with Simple Green, let fully dry, and paint away. The biggest trick I can suggest is to paint all layers on the same day. In other words, if you paint the first layer, don't wait more than about 15 minutes or so before the second coat. If you wait say an hour, you're done, and you should wait 7 full days before a second coat. I only paint these with Fusion. If I want a color Fusion doesn't offer, I do a base coat or two of Fusion, then paint over that with the other color.
Largest safe fuse?

Thank you! Swapped to a 40amp and that seemed to […]

Thanks for the info. I am thinking of upgrading th[…]

Taz, I am looking for a full steering linkage for[…]

Hey all, I just need to clear up a couple things […]

HobbyMasters