Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
All things related to paint and body work
User avatar
By MJL
#4405
I'm about waist deep into our Safety 1st Corvette project, and I need to fit these wheel tubs to the body. Tubs are made from HDPE, which I *think* is what the body is made from. Some surfing on the net seems to suggest bonding to HDPE is about as effective as herding cats ;)

The best I've come up with so far is sanding the surfaces and using hot glue. Any other / better ideas?

Thanks!

- Matt
User avatar
By chozian
#4424
blake711 wrote:I have repaired plastic on PW using two part epoxy like similar to this


Yeah, 2-part epoxy is great for stuff like that. Home Depot carries a Loctite brand 2-part epoxy specifically formulated for plastics for around $5.50 + tax. Harbor Freight carries a SuperGlue brand 2-part for about $4 + tax.
Last edited by chozian on Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
By MJL
#4445
I
chozian wrote:
blake711 wrote:I have repaired plastic on PW using two part epoxy like similar to this


Yeah, 2-part epoxy is great for stuff like that. Home Depot carries a Loctite brand 2-part epoxy specifically formulated for plastics for around $5.50 + tax. Harbor Freight carries a SuperGlue brand 2-part for about $4 + tax.


I've looked at the epoxies, and in small print on the back, every last one of them say "Not for use with PE". I wasn't sure if there would be some nasty reaction, or if it just wouldn't work.
User avatar
By chozian
#4449
MJL wrote:I
chozian wrote:
blake711 wrote:I have repaired plastic on PW using two part epoxy like similar to this


Yeah, 2-part epoxy is great for stuff like that. Home Depot carries a Loctite brand 2-part epoxy specifically formulated for plastics for around $5.50 + tax. Harbor Freight carries a SuperGlue brand 2-part for about $4 + tax.


I've looked at the epoxies, and in small print on the back, every last one of them say "Not for use with PE". I wasn't sure if there would be some nasty reaction, or if it just wouldn't work.


Well, I haven't noticed any negative effects from it yet. :lol: It seems to bond the plastic very well.
User avatar
By MJL
#4451
Excellent. That's what I was looking for :)
#4512
I have used Gel Control Super Glue to help fill in badge holes, works awsome but I don't know how well it would work for attaching large pieces.
User avatar
By rinowish
#4569
I used JB Weld for patching badge holes.. and it worked great for that, they're bullet proof patches.. but like DefensiveWound's said, attaching large pieces i can't say for sure.
Last edited by rinowish on Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
By GSEric69
#4570
I've had mixed results with 2 part epoxy's. The not for use with plastic warning is usually because it doesn't hold strong to most plastics. When I building my Sarge Jeep I used both the putty type you knead in your hands, and the more liquid type you need to mix. The putty type didn't seem to want to hold as good to the plastic, but the liquid type held better. I ended up wrapping the putty around the plastic to bond to itself to keep it from coming off the plastic.

It still doesn't hold as good as it does to steel though. I tried to use the liquid type to mend a stress crack, but it only kept the crack sealed for about a day before it broke loose from it.

What I have heard that works well is a plastic welder, which can bond plastic to a factory type of bond.
User avatar
By blake711
#4618
Yeah I have never had luck with the jb weld type on plastic. The liquid that I used I repair a break I also added a third piece behind the repair and glued it the pieces all together and the crack.
User avatar
By blake711
#4823
Worst stuff ever to get on your hands. GREAT Stuff Foam. I got that @#$%QW%^#&*$ %W$&^$&* stuff on my hands once. Went to their website to find out how to remove it and read this
- How do I get foam off of my hands?

If the foam has not cured or hardened, use acetone or fingernail polish remover (with acetone). If the foam has hardened, no solvent will remove it. It will not harm your skin and will wear off in several days. To remove cured foam from skin, use a pumice stone (available at most drug stores) and warm, soapy water. Then apply petroleum jelly to soften skin.


Wear off in several days. Try two weeks I scrubbed my hands till my knuckles bled and still had that crap on my hands for two weeks.
Last edited by blake711 on Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
By monkeydad
#4854
blake711 wrote:Worst stuff ever to get on your hands. GREAT Stuff Foam. I got that @#$%QW%^#&*$ %W$&^$&* stuff on my hands once. Went to their website to find out how to remove it and read this
- How do I get foam off of my hands?

If the foam has not cured or hardened, use acetone or fingernail polish remover (with acetone). If the foam has hardened, no solvent will remove it. It will not harm your skin and will wear off in several days. To remove cured foam from skin, use a pumice stone (available at most drug stores) and warm, soapy water. Then apply petroleum jelly to soften skin.


Wear off in several days. Try two weeks I scrubbed my hands till my knuckles bled and still had that crap on my hands for two weeks.


YOU ARE RIGHT!

Learned my lesson with that the first time. Last time I used it, I ruined my wife's flowered gardening gloves wearing them with Great Stuff. But, my hands stayed safe. :lol:

Gloves dried rock hard.

Maybe I'll get latex gloves next time.
#138721
Bump
I just made a new post about a similar product, but different manufacturer. And with what I've read, super glue doesn't adhere well? And becomes brittle?? Any input on my post would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I'd call this a roller if it was a car, it was in […]

I'm already using two 120mm fans, one to push fres[…]

In that case then I can retire the long wire conne[…]

well the wires got hot at the switches to the moto[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course