Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Past and present organized events and races
That's what I'm doing....Put them on a big drop cloth and toss the kids all my left over paint :lol:

I have to add some exhaust pipes too. I also want to swap in a PW harness and shifter so I don't have the circuit board take a K-rap in the middle of the event.
Last edited by taz11 on Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
I was thinking........

I was helping James strip his car today and then took it for a quick test drive.... I occurred to me that he's pretty big. The little kids are going to get knocked around . What do you guys think about adding weight to the lighter cars so that they all pack the same "punch"? (less abuse on the driver)

I think James probably weighs the most. I could weigh him in his car to get a target weight.

Thoughts.
How much do you think James weighs, I was going to used an escalade, which is kind of heavy, and my son weighs about 35 pounds. I was thinking I would replace the seat belts with a couple of bungee cords and pack padding around the windshield, door tops. I would guess unless a kids is pushing 100 lbs, the differential weight issue is probably not that much of an issue.
....and actively contributing to the build :D (wish I could say the same about sis)

derby.jpg
Sorry.......I just had to show a sneak peek 8-) 8-)

:lol: :lol: taz thats awesome!
Are you using a car door lock actuator for the exhaust pipe?
No, but close. It's a small 12 volt solenoid. I'm going to hook it in at the throttle pedal when the second one is done. I will post details in the build topic when i get to the second one.
Taz, fun on the flapper, very cool.

Hopefully get to throwing some paint on the cars this weekend. :-)

As for the weight thing, you know I'm not sure that it will make that much difference. He has more weight but will accelerate slower. As long as the area is fairly confined I think it will be okay. As for straps, I was thinking of replacing the lap band with a 2inch suitcase strap.

Scott
Scott...

I was thinking the lighter cars will stop more suddenly on impact. Like a Yugo getting hit by a semi.

I'm going belt-less....I think.
Wow I miss a few days and a lot happens. Those pipes are really cool.

As far as the belts I am not sure what I will be doing yet. I will probably have my kids crash into stuff (drive like normal) and see if they are really needed. I may just install shoulder belts on my daughters ride and use them if she needs them.
Thats a tough one on restraints. My only concern would be face plants into the dash/steering wheel really. I dont think at stock voltage and a small area they will be hitting too hard. Andrew will probably be one of the youngest at 4, but he weighs in at over 50lbs so no worry on weight there.
I am using a pw jeep, and was tempted to bolt chop up one of the booster seats I found on the side of the road with a 5pt harness. Though the more I think about it, a full face helmet will prevent any face contact! Thats all I am really worried about.

On a side note, here is a preview of the 36v polaris 700 I am just finishing. The hills he is climbing are pretty substantial, and those branches he is rolling over are about 6-8" in diameter. Needless to say I am happy with it so far. I need to play with the resistors for the brakes though. They are a little weak stopping it on hills as you will see at the end ;-) I just bought a full face for him which he will be wearing from now on! I do have a remote kill on it, which engages the brake circuit.
The front tires are way too wide too, and a bit hard to steer. I may try to find some used rounded quad tires on ebay or cl.

He loves riding through the trails though, so mission accomplished.

Anyone know how to embed on here. I can never get it right.
Last edited by Jornum1 on Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Click "video" and paste the link in the middle.

I did a rough mow in of the track this weekend. (road coarse) Its similar to last year, longer and wider. Some areas are still narrow. Should be fun :D .
Lol! From my kids experience, I'm pretty sure trees are magnetic, well, if plastic were polarized... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ha, yeah well those were only thorn bushes so no damage to the quad at least ;-)

Taz thanks, I have tried that before and it always says invalid url. I played around a little and figured out it wont work with the short url that youtube gives you when you go to the share tab. You have to copy the long url from the address bar in the web browser. So either way figured it out, thanks!
wow Jornum thats really sweet. What gb are you running that can take that abuse? That is a nice setup and can really take a beating, as far as climbing over things with those heavier tires. I hate how the angles are never close on videos, people always say to me that doesn't look hard. :roll: yeah try it when you stomach is near your throat.

Nice job on the quad.
+1 on the quad.

Yes It's amazing how the non-mechanically inclined have no clue what it takes to do things.

Example... I tell my wife about a project I want to do. I go out to the shop for an hour to design it...and break my pencil. :o So I go back to the house to sharpen it and she goes "oh, you're done?" :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: BOOOOM! :roll:
Last edited by taz11 on Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ha, I think that is just a wife thing. About a year ago i built a 8' long radiator cover with built in toy chest. I started on it in the morning, went in for lunch about 3 hours latter, my wife asked if I need help carrying up to the bedroom. :( :x Felt like saying yes, in 3 hours i built it, sanded it, stained it, polyed it. But heaven forbid I come home and say, is that all the cleaning and cooking you got done today? :shock:
Last edited by civieybuilder on Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never enough wrote:wow Jornum thats really sweet. What gb are you running that can take that abuse? That is a nice setup and can really take a beating, as far as climbing over things with those heavier tires. I hate how the angles are never close on videos, people always say to me that doesn't look hard. :roll: yeah try it when you stomach is near your throat.

Nice job on the quad.

Thanks, they are the gbs from the rzr I tore apart. So far so good, we will see how they hold up to long term abuse.

The hill in the video is pretty deceiving, its quite steep. I was impressed how well it went up. Not all that fast, but lots of power. I dont know if he was giving it full power either, its hard to tell.
The hill in the video is pretty deceiving, its quite steep. I was impressed how well it went up. Not all that fast, but lots of power. I dont know if he was giving it full power either, its hard to tell.

Guess it's time to invest in data acquisition software. Get a computer printout after the run showing throttle angle, motor rpm, current draw... :roll: :lol:
toycrusher wrote:

Guess it's time to invest in data acquisition software. Get a computer printout after the run showing throttle angle, motor rpm, current draw... :roll: :lol:

Hmmmmm...
Has anyone tried putting a balloon on a car yet? I tried it last night and let the kids hit it. My first couple of things the balloon slipped or moved out of the way. The best/least work solution I have is duct tape in "X" over balloon, uses a good amount of tape. Anybody have anything better?
No, but I've been thinking about it.

The x seems like a good Idea. Does it protect the balloon at all?

I haven't had time to test yet. Since you are already at that stage.....

What happens if you mount them low (just taped or tied at the knot)?

Maybe one piece of tape side to side across all 3 together?

I'm going to try some things this weekend.

We should also have a uniform height for all balloons. Like the center line of the balloon should be at axle height? Or maybe a measurement from the ground.
Not sure how much an X protects it, but not much, balloons seem to pop due to blunt force not puncture. Tried taped at the knot, balloon seems to bounce out of the way a lot. Tried one piece all the way across, balloons slip around, plus once one pops tape gets sloppy. Standard mounting height is a good idea, not sure how high though give different vehicles, may need to figure out at the time. Not really happy with X either, just best I came up with in about 1/2 hour.
I'm ok with the balloons moving out of the way, as long as it is possible to pop them. We don't need to pop a balloon on every hit.

Don't want it to end too fast :roll: :lol:

Do the balloons move out of the way on a good square hit?
Better look out BOYZZZZ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D

The little girl is out to get ya! :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:

derby bean.jpg
You just need a hard core sound box to go with it! Vroom vroom! :lol:
:D :D :D :D :D
toycrusher wrote:You just need a hard core sound box to go with it! Vroom vroom! :lol:
:D :D :D :D :D :D
Balloon mounting figured out!

Try this and see what you think (pics coming later)

The balloons are 5" Take a strip of duct tape and fold it in half long ways.(sticky to sticky)

NOTE: Balloons arrived and are actually 11". loops should be closer to ??? trying to determine.

make a loop out of it about 3" to 4" in diameter. wrap some more tape around the joint and screw it to the car though the doubled up area.(locations to be determined) A washer may be helpful. Put tape over the screw head to protect the balloon.

The balloon is inflated inside the loop trapping it. (looks like a peanut). Very sturdy!

I have an air compressor for inflating balloons.....you tie your own knots!

I'll get pics up soon. Going to measure for height.
Last edited by taz11 on Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
Height measurement...

I'm thinking that mounting the loop about 9-10 inches from the ground is ideal. Lets say no higher than 12 inches, no lower than 7 inches. If you are using a jeep or other vehicle with a protruding bumper. Balloons should be mounted to the bumper, not the grill behind it.

3 mounting loops on each side between the wheels, 3 loops on each end.

Does that work for you guys? Check it out and let me know if we have to adjust things any.
derby.jpg
derby (7).jpg

Obviously, this was just a test. The location is way to protected to be "legal" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:

Also used 7" balloon...all I had.
Last edited by taz11 on Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hey Scott,

How'd your painting go.......?

I think I need a beer! :? :roll: . I think both cars have 1/4 inch of paint on them. Changed colors 17 times!
I like the balloon mounting but how hard is it to reload? I figure I may be reloading for a while running 3 cars. My plans were to fill the balloons at home to make things quicker.

Also I have a gator that my cousins son is running. Anyone have an idea of a good type of support bar I can run down the sides and back to mount the balloons?
Very easy to reload. Civieybuilder is bringing all the balloons so we are all using the same ones.

On the gator, flip the tailgate open and mount them to that....Hmmmmm.... sides, Got any plastic tubs you can cut up and run a panel from the fender to the bed? How high is the running board? If its 7" you can mount to that. I have some 2 inch pvc pipe if you need it. I also have a silverado tub with nice flat sides. LMK.
Last edited by taz11 on Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I was thinking... screw the plastic to the fender and running board and then support the top with the pipe.

Might have to call you Ricky :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :P :P :P
Last edited by taz11 on Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oh the carnage! :P :shock: :? :roll:

derby (3).jpg

derby (5).jpg
Last edited by taz11 on Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Civiey... sent you a pm with the address. Anyone else need a refresher let me know.

What time do we want to start this?

..and....since there is rain in the forecast. What days are good if we have to postpone. November is clear for me except the 16th.

In the past...we run the show in the fog, mist, and drizzle. Postponement is for "washouts" only.
LOL Ricky Bobby !!!!!

I think racing in the light rain that one year was great other than all the worms that were stuck everywhere. So far the following weekend in November is clear. Start time doesn't matter since I don't have a far drive and the kids never work with me on getting ready to get out the door....ever.
Quad Damage (1st gear delete mod)

I'm embarrassed to say how long it took me to wrap[…]

install upgrade kit

probably a dumb question but I changed the main ci[…]

Pinion looks fine. I used the Hot Racing 16T pinio[…]

We have an Audi R8 Spyder 6-Volt Battery-Powered R[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course