HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Past and present organized events and races
By taz11
Rater11 wrote:Wow taz, that's kinda dating urself there. I wasn't allowed 2 race in nj til 1996, stupid age limits in this state.

Yeah, I had the car done in June, turned 18 on Sept 28th and raced on the 29th.
By AlexL
I would have entered but a few days before the deadline I BLEW A MOTOR @#$*%#@%@

DARN IT

oh well Ill be there next year
By taz11
Jornum1 wrote:ugh, looks like the weather forecast is getting worse by the minute. What are you thinking Taz?

Its kinda ugly right now.... We got hit pretty hard yesterday. The tarp got shredded off the Power wheels canopy :evil: and several large branches came down. I got it cleaned up mostly.

I'm still planning on going with it as long as the Radar shows just passing showers. If it is a washout I will have to postpone it. We loose about 3-4 people on Sunday so I'd rather not do that. I will make the final call about 10:30-11 on Saturday.

Plan on extra cloths and shoes for the kiddies......might not be a bad idea to bring boots and dry socks for yourself.

Its gonna be a mud hole for sure..........But hey, who doesn't like playing in the mud? I'll sacrifice part of my lawn in the name of entertainment :D :o :shock: :?

I have a fire pit/burn barrel if we need it to take the chill off....although it looks like the temp forecast is going up.
By taz11
Jornum1 wrote:Cool we are in as long as its still on. Just let us know as early as you can, we have about a 1 1/2hr drive to get there.

I will make a post at or around 10:30 either way. I will be sending out a PM with phone #
By Whitepup
Man, wish i could be there with ya'll . I can imagine it'll be pretty awesome seeing dozens of kids riding all over the place in the yard. :D

Have fun!
By Jornum1
We are ready! Andy and I were doing some mud and traction testing yesterday. This SP is a beast and only 2wd. Thats with no weight on the rear end either.

By taz11
I actually have a hill climb on a dirt pile....just haven't mowed it lately since the 4x4 is undergowing a rebuild.

Hey...Never enough....bringin' the 4x4?

Maybe we can have a race inthe snow later in the year :lol:
By Never enough
I didn't plan on it but after all this rain and reading about the mud I wanna see how it does. I was up last night cutting holes in it to fit 2 batteries and make it run on 18v. I don't expect it to do well in the slippery stuff but who knows, I never imagined it would climb rocks so we will see. I think it would be cool to see how it does on the track after all the races are over
By Jornum1
taz11 wrote:I actually have a hill climb on a dirt pile....just haven't mowed it lately since the 4x4 is undergowing a rebuild.

I might have to have one of these at my place sometime. I have a asphalt lot for racing and some drifting, and a dirt lot for some offroading. Could even break out the front end loader and make some humps and such.
Could be fun.
By taz11
Jornum1 wrote:
taz11 wrote:I actually have a hill climb on a dirt pile....just haven't mowed it lately since the 4x4 is undergowing a rebuild.

I might have to have one of these at my place sometime. I have a asphalt lot for racing and some drifting, and a dirt lot for some offroading. Could even break out the front end loader and make some humps and such.
Could be fun.

Let us know....... My 4x4 should be done soon. (actually it could be runable if I put 4 GBs in it) I wanted to to seal them up first..and thats alot of fab work.

My son will be running quarter midgets next year...that will take up more time! :? But.....my house addition is finally getting to a point where I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.....that will free up some time. :D

Hopefully I can host a few more events and attend a few others. Time will tell.
By Whitepup
Please someone make a quick movie and post it up please? I would love to see all these jeeps in action all at the same time.
By Never enough
Ready as we will ever be. Hopefully the gaucho works out. I have been working out problems with it since we got it. I think we are good.

We have batteries charging everywhere, powerwheels, cameras, cell phones. Something is plugged in somewhere so hopefully i can create a bit more global warming for this weekend.
By Rater11
I finally got all my parts in one place for our modified jeep, n the #?*! Happens. Seems like one thing after another is going wrong here. Looks like we will not havethe live axle jeep built 2 race tomorrow
By Jornum1
well guess we are going to have to have a offroad race when everyone finishes their truck projects :-)

we are ready to go too, just hoping the rain holds off till after.
By taz11
As long as we don't have another soaker we should be good. The pit area is dry enough to walk on now. The track is still "squishy".

I have cords set up for toppping off batteries. I'm 75% ready.

Don't forget.....

Power strips (if you have one)
bike helmets (or better)
warm clothes plus extras.
car covers (it looks like we will see some light rain during the day)

Parking in the driveway, keep it tight so everyone fits.
By taz11
I just checked the radar again...... It looks like we may get some light sprinkles but the big stuff will hold off until tonight....Hopefully :D :? :D

Sooo......... ITS A GO!
By AlexL
speaking of racing I spent the day at limerock raceway!

YAHOOO
By Never enough
Had a great time today. Thanks Taz for hosting an awesome event. Wish we would have gotten there earlier and had time to talk more but the wonderful kids didn't want to come. It was like a real race event. The gaucho suffered a broken gear but did pretty well for no test drives prior to the event. Here are a few pictures
Attachments
race5.jpg
The pit area with the field staging
race.jpg
half the field lined up
race1.jpg
race2.jpg
everyone having a good time
race3.jpg
race4.jpg
BROKENGEAR.jpg
DOH!!!
By Rater11
Great event guys, I think my kids had a blast. Sad as it sounds my daughter just isn't into the cars n my son is done with power wheels. Everything I have is up for sale if anyone is interested besides the barbie jeep. Anyone want them just let me know
By taz11
Rater11 wrote:Great event guys, I think my kids had a blast. Sad as it sounds my daughter just isn't into the cars n my son is done with power wheels. Everything I have is up for sale if anyone is interested besides the barbie jeep. Anyone want them just let me know

Give'em a chance, they are young yet. I have some medals for your kids. I guess you loaded up before we got to them. PM me your address and I'll drop them in the mail.

How's your son? It would have gotten the award for the hardest hit...if I had one. For those that did not attend, Rater's son tried to knock the wall down at the end of the back straight away.

Never enough,...That's a strong running Gaucho you got there! Your son has some talent, especially for his age. I'm with you on the gearbox......lost one myself. That's normal on that car though :? .

Thanks to everyone that came.....Great time. If time allows, we will do it again next year!
Last edited by taz11 on Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
By Never enough
Hey Rater I wouldn't sell off your stuff just yet, my son doesn't play with these trucks much either. He will play with them for maybe 5 minutes then gets bored. I had to drag him into the truck yesterday kicking and screaming to go and then when we get there he wants to race. They are too young still to know what they want. You can always sell them later on.

My gaucho really did look quick, I should have let a better driver use it to see if it really is. I have my son so confused he doesn't know if he is coming or going. At home I tell him he can't run into anyone and at the race I tell him its ok if he crashes it. He would keep stopping every time someone was close too him or hit him. After I tell him its ok to bump into the cars he slammed into James as he passed him. He told me that he was racing like on TV :lol:
By Rater11
Oh no I'm not selling the stuff cus he doesn't want to race. I'm selling it so I can buy him a quad or kid kart and get him into some real gas powered racing. It would cost me about the same amount to buy a goucho to keep up with u guys, as it would to buy a kid kart and let him race big tracks.
By Rater11
Don't worry tho, derek will b back next race in the modified and unlimited classes with the jeep when its finished. Now I know how fast the class is I can build the car to keep up
By Never enough
You gotta build something faster not something that will keep up :D

Now that I know my kid will not kill everyone and can keep the car on the track we are gonna try going faster. R&D would go much better if I had a driver to test these trucks. I am just gonna start building stuff so its ready when he is otherwise things will not get done when they are older
By taz11
I liked the wet track so much....I might have to water it if it doesn't rain next year.

Speaking of rain........It was raining Saturday morning.......and the skies open up 2 minutes after the last hauler pulled out of here :shock: Talk about luck! Not a drop during the event!
By taz11
I have to add a special thanks to Hypo21 for all the help keeping the show going while I tried to maintain 13 cars and run the show and flag and.........uggg.... fried...Brain toast :roll:
By Jornum1
Andy and I had a great time yesterday! Thanks to taz and his family along with everyone else for a fun day. While Andy is still a little too small to race, he had a blast. We will definitely be back for the next one.

At least Niko and Andy helped out with the wrenching!

BTW like my latest score? Picked it up today for $65. PO said it didnt run, and his kid lost interest. When I got home I looked at the aftermarket fuse that was put inline to the batt and it was blown. Guess what? It was just the fuse! The guy never bothered to look at it! AWESOME!

By taz11
Jornum....GOTTA love that! :D :D

So here are the stats........

14 drivers showed up. 12 competed in 30 cars for 16 events :D ! Five different winners. Not all the winners were Taz Motorsports drivers.......but, All winners were driving Taz Motorsports or Taz built cars :D

MAN....you guys are slippin ;) :P (thats just some fuel for you guys to build on ;) )LOL

Luckily my boss's daughter won in the "at work" prepared Ninja....Guess I can keep my job ;) !

I have some good Videos that I will try to get up over the next week or so.

Best show yet! Thanks Guys!
By Jornum1
For my first time meeting you guys I was very impressed. Not only with the turn out but with how great everyone was and how organized everything was.
It was cool to give the kids like real racing experience but still in a fun loose way.

Maybe I will have some competition for you next year taz. I am starting him young, we will see if he keeps interest ;-)
Right now he's obsessed with that fire truck, he might be riding that next year!
Last edited by taz11 on Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
By taz11
Jornum1 wrote:For my first time meeting you guys I was very impressed. Not only with the turn out but with how great everyone was and how organized everything was.
It was cool to give the kids like real racing experience but still in a fun loose way.

Maybe I will have some competition for you next year taz. I am starting him young, we will see if he keeps interest ;-)
Right now he's obsessed with that fire truck, he might be riding that next year!

It's been raced before! :D Glad it turned out to be a worthy purchase ;) .

As long as time allows, I will be having atleast one event per year for the next couple. (Baring unforseen circumstances)
By Jornum1
Well like I said if there were interest and anyone wanted to come out east a little bit, I have the property to have a fun event here. Cant say it would be as well put together as yours, but would be fun.
By taz11
I'd be up for something.....

Post your Ideas in the event section when you're ready....see what kind of interest there is.

We had a great crew this year....in the past it has been hit and miss.

FWIW...It seems a little hectic on my end. :roll: :?
By Never enough
I wish I had the property to hold an event here. I know its asking a lot for the same people to organize this stuff and have their yards destroyed. Not sure how you did it Taz just getting to the event was stressful enough. I am gonna see if township would allow a race at the community center sort of like what you guys did at mt olive.
By taz11
Never enough wrote:I wish I had the property to hold an event here. I know its asking a lot for the same people to organize this stuff and have their yards destroyed. Not sure how you did it Taz just getting to the event was stressful enough. I am gonna see if township would allow a race at the community center sort of like what you guys did at mt olive.

I don't mind......I kinda like my mud circle :lol: Having a garage full of clay splattered race cars takes me back :D

The legwork is what limits me and the cost Time and money are short. This year was very good. After your donations and the sale of a firetruck to Jornum, It cost me about $35 to set up.

It's well worth it to me when every one shows up. ....Kinda sucks when 80% cancel at the last minute.
By Jornum1
While I couldnt dedicate my yard, I do have a dirt lot and a paved lot which could be used.
Do you think either could be used safely? I would think the pavement could be fun allowing some sliding and such. But could be dangerous too. Maybe no quads or bikes on the paved track.

Also I am more of a road race guy then a circle track. Do you think its asking too much of the kids to navigate a couple turns on a well laid out track? I also have access to hay bails as well as cones.
Just thinking out loud....
By Never enough
i loved the mud, it made it so much fun.

As for the donations, I don't know how others feel but I don't think you should be asking for so little. You should cover your expenses. It cost me the fuel to get there and to build the cars and now to repair them. Its all in the fun of it but not at your expense.

maybe have a $3 or $5 entry fee and then ask for donations to cover whats left. I don't see it being out of line since you put so much effort into it.

Jornum.... where are you at?
By Jornum1
I am out in Passiac county, North Haledon to be exact. It was about a hour and twenty minutes to get to Taz's all highway. I know thats a hike for some of you, but I hopefully could make something worth the trip.

If I ever had anything here, I'd like to look into having a little offroad action for the trucks too. I know it just makes for us to fix afterwards, but hey thats half the fun!

And I agree about the donation, you should offset your costs, it shouldnt come out of your pocket.
By Never enough
That is a hike but not bad for my kids. They spend an hour and a half going to both sets of grandparents and my son has no problem with a 2hr drive to englishtown once a month. Best part is they are beat and pass out for the ride home so its nice, I wouldn't mind a longer drive home :D
By taz11
True...I guess. If I charge money, I feel obligated to make it a great show. There are so many things out of my control that can ruin a good show......Not worth the stress.

All types of courses are cool. I have a soft spot for dirt ovals.......but I will attempt to compete on whatever you have.

Asphalt can get pretty slippery over 18 volts. You'd just have to test a few and set saftey guidelines.

Similar rules between tracks are good to save time when building cars. Obviously different surfaces need some rule changes in the fast classes. Just my 2cents
By Never enough
taz11 wrote:True...I guess. If I charge money, I feel obligated to make it a great show.

In your mind was that a good show you put on??? I thought it was awesome and so did my family.

@toycrushers Is there a way to put a break reduc[…]

Why wont anyone help me??

I just need a pic of how Mcqueen 12 v is originall[…]

Where to find batteries

Wondering where you guys go to buy batteries? And[…]

Redcat Racing shook the scale crawling world with […]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course