HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Past and present organized events and races
By Divinar
taz11 wrote:
Jornum1 wrote:
taz11 wrote:He'll be fine ;)

Oh I know he will, he will have a blast. Not worried about him at all. just giving a heads up.
now that he has the gaucho he is getting better at steering. Love that rack and pinion :D

Ain't it a beautiful thing!

I only have one Gaucho. I'm not looking for anymore "Power wheels".
By taz11
Rater11 wrote:Ill have a few things there. Hope 1 of my ideas can keep up with Taz's stuff. That's my goal for this race. Still have no idea how fast the modifieds and unlinited cars are so I have no idea what I'm shooting for.

Fast as fast can be....you'll never catch me! :P ....unless it blows up..... :? .....

...and the trash talk begins :lol:
By Rater11
Lol yes it has, I have a few tricks up my sleeve. Much much better wit gas or methenol fueled engine, but I still am a pro when it comes 2 gear ratios tire size n handling.... I might b a newbie but ain't nothing new 2 me.
By taz11
MUAHAHAHAHA!...BRING IT ON! :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :P :roll:

Just make sure you have a way to stop it when the throttle welds shut! :o :shock:
By taz11
Rater11 wrote:Is there any rule against torque converters?

That's a new one........I suspect it would be ok in the Unlimited class. As long as it is not any more dangerous than a 20 mph plastic toy :P

There really are no rules in the unlimited class except for safety items.
Last edited by taz11 on Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Rater11
Ok just making sure. I am one of the mad mecanics. I skip over the little things like lights n horns, but got this torque converter in the shed wit nothing 2 put it on
By taz11
Rater11 wrote:Ok just making sure. I am one of the mad mecanics. I skip over the little things like lights n horns, but got this torque converter in the shed wit nothing 2 put it on

Almost afraid to ask.......what was said torque converter supposed to be used on? :? :?:
By Rater11
I'm actually not positive what it used to b on. Someone gave me the motor about a year ago. It was on a 5hp briggs, I think from a go kart, not sure tho. I just hope I can find a belt to fit it, and able to fab a pulley 4 the axle
By taz11
Putting it on a scooter motor? Just make sure you cover the belt. (finger chopper)
By treebeme
I don't see problems with torque converters. But I would like to comment that they are largely a waste with electric motors. Internal combustion engines have to be running at all times whether you want to go forward or not, which is why you need a torque converter on go-karts and for automatic transmissions. Plus they have hore power in the higher RPM ranges which is why on performance cars you will have converters that lock up at higher RPMS. However, they suck power to work. With electric motors they do not need to be spinning when not used and they have 100% torque at 0 RPM so there is no benefit to using a torque converter with them.
By Rater11
No matter how the drivetrain is put together I am going to cover it so there's no chance of a finger getting stuck, also give it a clean look.
That's a interesting fact about using it on a electric motor, I was thinking that the first few seconds off the line the torque converter would be helpful. Did not figure it would also waste some of the power.
By treebeme
Stick shifts are faster than automatics and get better mileage for a reason. Torque converters waste power. They only exist for convenience so drivers don't have to use a clutch.

In drag racing all of the top classes use clutches to get every ounce of power on the track. You only see automatics in bracket racing where you are shooting for consitency instead of the fastest time possible.
By Rater11
Interesting fact there. My only experience in racing has been go karts and some formula cars. Never thought bout y gearboxes are the way they are. I'm best with a centrifugal clutch and a single gear ratio.
By taz11
OK guys...... The field is set, trophies are ordered, and.........my boss has me putting an ESC in his daughters quad :? :roll: .........at work :roll: DOH!

You guys better bring something fast.........My wife has informed me (with use of the "F' word) that she doesn't want more trophies in the house!
Last edited by taz11 on Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Rater11
has anybody ever welded on the shaft of a esc? Its about a 1/2" dia shaft, I need to extend the shaft a bit but don't want to fry the motor in the process.
By taz11
Rater11 wrote:has anybody ever welded on the shaft of a esc? Its about a 1/2" dia shaft, I need to extend the shaft a bit but don't want to fry the motor in the process.

Shaft on an ESC? lost me :oops:
By taz11
Here is the tentative time schedule for October 1st.

Keep in mind that this is subject to change do to cancelations, weather, or other unforseen circumstances.

12:00-gates open for unloading and sign up. Vehicles should be parked in the "pit" area. I recommend they stay

there until race time to conserve batteries. This is a good time for introductions and small talk (bragging) lol.

12:50-Parents and drivers meeting.

1:00--First race

Race order:

1)Stock heat 1, 10 lps

2) heat 2, 10 lps

3)Stock +6 heat 1, 10 lps

4) heat 2, 10 lps

5)Modified heat 1, 12 lps

6) heat 2, 12 lps

7)Unlimited heat 1, 12 lps

8) heat 2, 12 lps

9) Stock Feature 20 lps

10)Stock +6 Feature 20 lps

11)Stock Dash 8 lps

12)Stock Winners Dash 4 lps

13)Stock +6 Dash 8 lps

14)Stock +6 Winners Dash 4 lps

15)Modified Feature 20 lps

16)Unlimited Feature 20 lps

Anyone who needs directions, please send me a PM
Last edited by taz11 on Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Rater11
Sorry Taz, newbie mixed up the parts, lol. I was wondering if the shaft of a electric scooter motor could take the heat of a weld without frying anything. So far I think I answered my own question cus I welded it during lunch, n the motor still spins when I put power to it
By taz11
Rater11 wrote:Sorry Taz, newbie mixed up the parts, lol. I was wondering if the shaft of a electric scooter motor could take the heat of a weld without frying anything. So far I think I answered my own question cus I welded it during lunch, n the motor still spins when I put power to it

You are putting it on the correct end of the car...... right? LOL HAHAHAHA :lol: ....sorry, couldn't help it :oops:
By taz11
Rater11 wrote: What's the track layout looking like?

108 feet around the inside wall......
201041117821_trak2.jpg
201041117845_trac3.jpg
By taz11
I would like to extend a big "THANK YOU!" to Hootie and ......

mltoyz_com.jpg

for jumping on board and providing some participation gifts for our attendees.
By taz11
Jornum1 wrote: wonder how your grass is gonna look after you guys get threw with it :-)

WHAT GRASS?.....lol :lol:

wreck2.jpg
wreck4.jpg
Last edited by taz11 on Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By taz11
hootienchyna wrote:you need to landscape and bank the turns a bit

Yeah...great......Then they get airborn when they overshoot the turn! :lol: :? :roll:
By Never enough
taz11 wrote:Yeah...great......Then they get airborn when they overshoot the turn!

They will learn faster to not miss the turn unless they are like my kid and will see how high he can go. :?

Its raining a lot and the ground will be soft for when they land.
By Divinar
Never enough wrote:
taz11 wrote:Yeah...great......Then they get airborn when they overshoot the turn!

They will learn faster to not miss the turn unless they are like my kid and will see how high he can go. :?

Its raining a lot and the ground will be soft for when they land.

That would be Mikey! JD might hesitate before launching himself into the air... Maybe.
By taz11
....your not at a real race unless you've got dirt in your beer! :lol:
By taz11
Rater11 wrote:Lol that's means we r bringing beer 2 this event?

You are more than welcome to bring a few but they must be consumed in a responsible manner. Remember this a "family " event.
By Jornum1
see now someone has to build a trailer cooler for one of the vehicles :-)

In all seriousness though I was going to email you taz and see if we could bring anything? food, drinks, ect. your doing so much I would like to pitch in.

btw any of you guys know a local source for aftermarket batteries at a decent price? or anyone know a place with fast shipping?
I have a few old pw batts but they are on their way out. been using the two 12v 12ah batts I have for all my vehicles and just switching them out.
By taz11
International importers has shipped same day on my last two orders. I use a direct email to a sales rep. I have it on my computer at work. I'll try to get the info to you monday morning.

other contact info here.......
http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=1208

As far as food....my wife will have a table set up for snacks. That would be great if you wanted to contrubute.

...My wife says appetizers or chips....your call, something that can sit out on a table.
Last edited by taz11 on Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Jornum1
Hmm nice, I will try contacting them and see if I get a response before monday morning. Doubtful, but you never know.

I dont see any 12v 12ah, but I do see 5- 6v 12ah for $45. Might be better for those 18v applications. The ones i have now are two 6v 12ah's glued and wired together anyway.

By taz11
I ordered some this past Monday (12v10ah & 6v 12ah) and recieved them on Wednesday. They only carry batteries with the small tabs. They seem to work fine with the 3/16 connectors if you slide them all the way on.

On another note.......

I am planning on getting about 3-4 extention cords to the pit area. Bring your chargers and a power strip (if you have one). I plan on topping off batteries between races. I'm slightly concerned about battery life. I will allow a few minutes between races for battery charging or changing. I'm running the same vehicles in the first two classes so I wll have to add and remove a 6 volt a few times....X2 :?
By Jornum1
taz11 wrote:I ordered some this past Monday (12v10ah & 6v 12ah) and recieved them on Wednesday. They only carry batteries with the small tabs. They seem to work fine with the 3/16 connectors if you slide them all the way on.

On another note.......

I am planning on getting about 3-4 extention cords to the pit area. Bring your chargers and a power strip (if you have one). I plan on topping off batteries between races. I'm slightly concerned about battery life. I will allow a few minutes between races for battery charging or changing. I'm running the same vehicles in the first two classes so I wll have to add and remove a 6 volt a few times....X2 :?

Ok great, I will get in contact with them Monday. I am planning on soldering all my tabs anyway, just havent had a chance to finish up the plugs yet. I just got in my deans connectors this past week.

I only am bringing two vehicles and my son will only be seeing limited action, so I should be good with 3 batts. But if I can charge one or two at any given time that would be great.
I have a 5000 watt jobsite generator if you want me to bring it along. Its old and loud as a mother though.

And I will see if I can put my wife to work on some of her chocolate chip toffee cookies. They are like crack in sugar form ;-) We can get the kids all amped up for the races
By taz11
Rater11 wrote:I just saw the weather for the week... looks like rain all week into Saturday. Maybe pw boat races Saturday?

As of now, Saturdays forcast is calling for 63 degrees and sunny. May need to bring a change of cloths.......mud might be flyin'.
Razor quad

Question about a razor quad I'm sure someone has s[…]

Please let me know if K1w1ed doesn’t pick this up.[…]

7R transplant into a 7 Gearbox

Not totally clear on your question. You can direct[…]

Need some guidance 6v f150

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course