HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Electrical, Battery & Switch help
By Mikeman03
I got a Peg Perego RzR 900 12V used from a co-worker a few days ago. My boys love it and rode it for 3-4 hours a day for 3 days. Every evening I would plug it in the charger. The charger says it’s automatic so I left it plugged in until the next afternoon.

This morning they rode it for maybe an hour and it just stopped as if the battery was dead. I checked it with a DMM and it reads 12.85V. I hooked it up to the truck and pushed the gas and the voltage reads .3V. I held that for a few seconds then left off and checked it again and got .03V.

I’ve read I should get it load tested for a truly accurate reading to eliminate measuring just surface charge but I think that’s what I’ve done by pressing the gas down while measuring.

I’ve check the foot pedal switch, the hi/lo/R switch, and the connectors and everything looks good. Is my battery junk? And did I do something wrong with the way I charged it?

By wired
What size is the 12v battery? I'm guessing it's a 12v 12Ah stock peg battery? An hour of run time isn't bad. 3-4 hours must have included some non-use time. Battery run time depends on several factors. The main ones are battery health, vehicle weight (with passenger(s)), and terrain. It sounds like the battery just needs to be recharged. Recharge the battery and post results. Hopefully there is no problem.
By Mikeman03
Yes it is a stock Peg Perego 12V 12AH battery. They got approximately 2+ hours of continuous use out of it per charge. The battery has been re-charged and still nothing. I did notice the charger shows the green light when you plug it in.

Could it be the charger?

Also what voltage should I see across the battery terminals with the pedal depressed?
By wired
I don't know what charger you have but a green light means that the battery is charged on the chargers I have (schumacher auto chargers). Some chargers may have a green light just to indicate the battery is charging or that power is on to the charger. I would have to say consult the charger manual for what your green light means. I don't want to lead you astray with a guess on my end.
Battery voltage across terminals with pedal depressed would depend on several situations. The health of battery, charge of battery, health of vehicle electrical components etc...
If you are getting 12.8v to almost zero volts across battery with pedal depressed, then I would definitely be looking at either a bad battery (surface charge) or the charger being defective. I think you're on the right track.
Check battery voltage across the terminals when charging outside of the vehicle. Voltage should be well over 13v when charging. Look for 13.5v to near 15v when charging.
By Mikeman03
It is a standard Peg-Perego charger model: 25200025. There is 14.9V across the terminals while charging. The thing is the charger says the light should be orange for charging and green for ready.

What’s that about surface charge? I thought if the battery was left alone for 24hours the charge inside should equalize and give an accurate reading? Or am I misunderstanding something?
By wired
Sometimes a battery will fail internally (shorted plates) and the voltage will read correct voltage but the battery will fail under load. Also known as a dead cell. This is one of the common tests an auto parts store will perform on automotive batteries (load test). Before I went too far in one direction, Lord knows I've done it before, I would take a step back and troubleshoot. You can use any 12v battery that is of equal or larger size than your stock battery for troubleshooting. This includes your car battery. You would not need to remove from your vehicle ( a lawnmower battery is great for troubleshooting). All you need is some spare wires and a little time and patience. Use jumper wires and connect your known good battery to your rzr 900 and see if the vehicle works. You will then know if you have a battery/charger problem or if something else is going on.

I concur. Prep is the key. A good adhesion promo[…]

I have a White magica , lall parts available Stil[…]

So my Kids wanted faster but not much going for Be[…]

I’ve got the old school original kid trax fi[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course