KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
All those "freebies", almost freebies and "came up-ons" and those really good deals can go here. LOTS OF PICS WELCOME. :-)
This is my first toy and I'm sort of excited to play with it.
Originally I was thinking my grandson would love it but then I found out they can be modded and even raced. The sky is the limit, right?

In all reality I think I will turn it into a RC parade toy that I can loan to non profits to help them get exposure.

We will see....

First things first. I have to get it working.

By SigEp
Nice find! Lots of cool things you can do with those (click the link in my signature for some ideas). Even if the control board is fried, you can get a new one from Kid Trax for about $25 or just bypass it altogether.
Well, the prognosis on the board isn't good. I think one of the relays got really hot. The solder on the spade connector seems to have melted.
I already bypassed the gizmo in the plug and checked the fuse (it was good) and the lights and sounds work fine.
The motor didn't work though.

I pulled the board out and jumped the motor and it works fine.

So, how much of the board is needed for the lights and sounds? Is there a seperate board for those (under the steering wheel or dash)?

I'm going to end up doing a complete teardown eventually because it's badly sun faded. I'm going to paint it fire engine red with paint made specifically for plastic.
By 12vwiz
Red Fire Truck wrote:So, how much of the board is needed for the lights and sounds? Is there a seperate board for those (under the steering wheel or dash)?
The board in the battery compartment is operating the motors. However it is used as a 12v source for two other circuit boards. The audio and light board is located in the steering wheel. The PA amp is located in the dash. Take a look at my build thread for added info. Kid Trax Fire Truck...keep em rollin
12vwiz wrote:
Red Fire Truck wrote:So, how much of the board is needed for the lights and sounds? Is there a seperate board for those (under the steering wheel or dash)?
The board in the battery compartment is operating the motors. However it is used as a 12v source for two other circuit boards. The audio and light board is located in the steering wheel. The PA amp is located in the dash. Take a look at my build thread for added info. Kid Trax Fire Truck...keep em rollin
Dude! Amazing build thread.

You have answered just about all the questions I'm going to have.

I figure I'm good enough with rewiring everything and can use some of the 15A relays I've been yanking out of junk cars over the years. That should work, right?
By 12vwiz
Thank you. My son still loves it.

You need to use a standard single pole double throw (SPDT) relay with a minimum 30/40 amp contact rating.

Salvage yards are a very good source for finding them. Just be careful, junk cars have specialty ones as well.

This is the 12vwiz board bypass question thread started by kidTrax28. It might help also.
30/40 amps seems like a pretty high rating for a motor drawing from a 7A battery. Especially since the toy is supposed to run 10 hours on that battery, it has to draw far less than 30 amps.
Why does it need to be SPDT? Why wouldn't simple on/off relays work?
By 12vwiz
Red Fire Truck wrote:30/40 amps seems like a pretty high rating for a motor drawing from a 7A battery. Especially since the toy is supposed to run 10 hours on that battery, it has to draw far less than 30 amps.
If it could run continuously for 10 hours, we all would be driving electric. Feel lucky if it last 45 min. with a 7ah battery.
Red Fire Truck wrote:Why does it need to be SPDT? Why wouldn't simple on/off relays work?
A SPDT is a ON/OFF relay. SPST switches/relays cant multitask. I have links provided on my build thread for relay help.
Last edited by 12vwiz on Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hmm...
I've always thought of a SPDT relay as "Power on = pin 1" "Power off = pin 2"

In other words, when there is no power provided to the coil, there would be a contact between the common and pin 2. When power is applied to the coil, there would be contact between the common and pin 1.

Yes, that can be used as a single throw relay. The intended purpose of a SPDT is for switching, isn't it?
By 12vwiz
Red Fire Truck wrote:The intended purpose of a SPDT is for switching, isn't it?
Switching is the intended purpose of all relays. That is what they are 'a electric switch'. What and how it functions is dependent on how it is wired.

I have a White magica , lall parts available Stil[…]

So my Kids wanted faster but not much going for Be[…]

I’ve got the old school original kid trax fi[…]

I recently upgraded my kids Dora Jeep from 6v to 1[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course