KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Electronic Scooter Controllers have become a popular addition to our vehicles. Ask specific questions about ESCs here!

***WARNING*** this section is for ADVANCED MODDERS. if you try anything in this section you NEED to expect minor issues with the build up to and including complete FAILURE of EVERYTHING in your freshly built BPRO.

Have fun ;-) :-)
By spencergs
Has anyone successfully modded the stock pedals for variable throttle control? Or is replacing the pedal with one of the scooter hall effect units the way to go?

By Hammer-fm
The stock pedal is just a switch. Although it may be possible to fit a sliding potentiometer in place of the switch itself (so you could reuse the rest of the pedal, sans switch), it's easy enough to mount a scooter-style hall-effect pedal and that gives you a wider range of options as well.
By spencergs
Well I went to order the plastic pedal from the scooter parts shop, but I'd be looking at $60+ after shipping. Unless I was willing to wait for the slow boat from China...which I'm not. I'm also not thrilled with the look of that plastic model.

So this is what I'm thinking: https://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/e ... ND/4771989

I had a look at the stock pedal and I think I can mount a magnet on the end of the screw/shaft, and put this hall sensor in the housing. There's plenty of room to do what I need to make it work but I think it will be pretty simple. I'm using a microcontroller so I have some flexibility with the signal coming out of the thing. This probably wouldn't be a good option for use with a scooter speed controller but I think it will work for me.
By Hammer-fm
May work -- but the stock pedal doesn't have a lot of throw. I don't know how easy it will be to modulate, although the pedals I'm using are probably only 50% more than stock (they're plastic also -- biggest problem is that the small children can't push them hard enough, otherwise it's worked quite well).

Maybe consider something like this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Metal-Hall-Eff ... m570.l1313
By spencergs
Good point on the stock pedal throw. My son wants a missile switch for "rocket boosters" lol....so I'm thinking low and high speed modes.

Really good to know about the force required for those pedals too. If the stock pedal mod doesn't go well I will pick up the one you linked. Seems like a good balance with price/size/construction.
By Hammer-fm
FWIW, my 4 year old had no problems with the pedal I got (basically this one:). My 2.5 year old daughter can only push it down about halfway. Your other post referenced a build for a 5-year old and I'm sure there would be no problem. I have used two of these and they both worked exactly as spec'd (0.8 - 4.2V output w/5V supply) and mount fairly well in place of the stock pedal, but they have less throw than the larger ones like the first link.

If you end up with good results with the stock pedal mod, I'd be interested in seeing the final setup.

I retained the stock R-1-2 shifter but wired it so that the motors are always in parallel and in "1st" and "reverse", the switch that would normally switch the motors to series instead shunts off part of the voltage coming from the pedal, effectively limiting it to 50-60% maximum (with a pot to adjust that %, of course). With a microcontroller it should be fairly straightforward to have some lower maximum (70-75%) until the boost switch is pushed :D
By Rob222
Check out this "Premium Foot Pedal Throttle" Item # THR-89.
http://www.electricscooterparts.com/thr ... ndard.html

This foot pedal is easy to install and works great. Stock it is a little hard to press but is very easily modified to make it easy for kids to press down. You can also easily modify the throttle to limit the total movement to control top speed.
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=19928&p=139545#p139545
By Hammer-fm
Looks like a much better setup than the scooter ESCs in terms of current output. Looks like there aren't many high-voltage options though -- that one is spec'd for 7-17V, which limits future upgrade options. Finding >4s LIPO-capable brushed RC-car ESC seems to be difficult.
By spencergs
Got the hall sensor rigged up. I just used some 2-part epoxy putty to get it in the proper proximity to the magnet. It is rather finicky...not a lot of margin with placement, and the difference between 0 and 100% is only a couple centimeters. So coincidentally I am getting nearly the full range out of the sensor with the short throw of the stock pedal. Happy with the progress so far.
4x4 12v circuit issue

wondering how do you like the sportrax. I'm saw so[…]

SOLD SOLD SOLD!!!! Powerwheels Jeep Aftershock was[…]

Would also be interested in the same project. Livi[…]

I saw this video and wondering if is there anythin[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course