KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Electronic Scooter Controllers have become a popular addition to our vehicles. Ask specific questions about ESCs here!

***WARNING*** this section is for ADVANCED MODDERS. if you try anything in this section you NEED to expect minor issues with the build up to and including complete FAILURE of EVERYTHING in your freshly built BPRO.

Have fun ;-) :-)
By wesleyb82
**Please help me make this a good starting place for guys looking for ESC info. If you have anything to add or edit please post a reply and I will edit this post**

WHAT IS AN "ESC SYSTEM"???
ESC (Electronic Scooter Controller) System replaces the stock electronics in your Power Wheels with scooter components which includes a variable foot throttle which allows you to safely run higher voltage with more speed but something most overlook: smoother operation and much better driver control! An ESC system will completely change a Power Wheels operation and allows for a more capable but also more controllable machine.

The most common reason to install an ESC system is the ability to run higher voltage without destroying parts. If you attempt to install 24 volts in a stock system the motors will most likely overheat and melt and the gear boxes will be destroyed (ask me how I know this). It may be fun for a while (it was), but the fun will not last. With an ESC system, the gradual/smoother acceleration will lead to a longer gearbox life and also typically allow to safely run 12v motors up to 24 volts. Instead of the stock on/off throttle and automatic braking when the rider lifts off the accelerator, the ESC system allows the Power Wheels to rev up or down smoothly and coast which is easier on the gearboxes and smooths out the ride. The system also reuses the stock pedal and a DPDT relay as a brake. Separating the gas and brake allows more advanced driver techniques and more fun!

Main Features:
Keyed Ignition
Variable Throttle
Separate Brake Pedal
Easy Accessory Addons (Lights, etc)
Under-Voltage Protection (saves your batteries)
MORE SPEED
MORE POWER
MORE DRIVER CONTROL
SMOOTHER OPERATION
TOP SPEED GOVERNOR
EASIER CHARGING
MORE FUN!!!

(Q) What do I use as the brake pedal?
(A) Typically the factory pedal is reused as the brake pedal (which is a SPDT switch) but any switch can be used to trigger the brake relay (such as a button on the steering wheel).

(Q) Do I need to upgrade the stock motors/gearboxes?
(A) Over-volting the factory brushed 12v motors to 24v is possible but longevity depends on motor airflow, duration of constant use, rider weight, terrain type, etc. It is possible to do this but whenever possible upgrading the motors is recommended. Personally I like the Banebot 18v 775 motors which are extremely powerful and durable. These motors (larger 775's) require shims (for the older #7 gearboxes) and new hardware (35mm m4 bolts) to work with the factory gearboxes. Other common motors to look into are HPI 1145 550's and Titan 550's and 775's. There are many options, so search the forums for more info! Finally, upgrading older #7 gearboxes (with white gears) to newer #7R gearboxes (with orange gears [some new 7rs now have white gears!!]) is recommended but not necessary. For more motor and gearbox information please see the motor/gearbox video below. Other than the gear color 7's have 1 gear # stamped into them while 7R's have 3 gears stamped into them. When selecting a pinion to match the gearbox always choose the middle tooth count.

(Q) Why does the schematic not use the brake connection/function on the controller?
(A) In the past there have been controller failures when the controller brake function was used. Although this occurred with a different model motor controller than what is commonly used today, it is now common practice to use a relay to control braking and completely avoid the controller braking function which in the end allows fine tuning of the braking softening and brake reliability.

(Q) Is an ESC system difficult to install?
(A) No. Although the diagrams are sometimes overwhelming to new modders it is not difficult to install the kit. Just break it down and make one connection at a time. If you get stuck at any point or are confused post on the forum and we will all help you get through the process. To do a clean and reliable install the process will take some time but it is not difficult to complete and once you understand the system you can customize it to make it your own. Typical installation time is around 4-6 hours. The more time you take with the install the more dependable it will be.

Below are some ESC related videos. The ESC installation video is 37 minutes long (I will try to make a shorter version soon) and I try to cover the things that I thought were important to know and some of the installation techniques that I normally use. If anyone has any feedback I'd like to hear it and I hope it helps some new guys get an idea of what the process is like.

If anyone has suggestions for anything else that they might find useful let me know.

ESC INSTALLATION

0:53 Placing batteries
3:40 Placing other components
5:40 Removing factory wiring
6:33 Removing factory brake pedal
7:00 Wiring the relays
15:01 Relays explained
17:20 Installing the brake resistors
21:40 Reverse relay explained
23:50 Prepping the motor leads
24:46 Indicator/Pilot explained
27:42 Indicator/Pilot connection
34:19 Mounting components
34:37 Mounting pedals
35:38 Final components
36:05 Test

ESC OVERVIEW

Pedal Comparison Video

Banebot Installation/Overview

Post Install/Troubleshooting/Parking Brake (plus step down and power block)
Last edited by wesleyb82 on Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:24 am, edited 10 times in total.
By wesleyb82
Yeah I'm trying to find time to do that. I am interested to see the results as well especially the force required to compress the pedals. Also btw I have a couple new pedals which I will compare... it'll be up soon
By wesleyb82
This has been on my to do list for a while, thanks for the extra motivation. I got the video done, looking forward to others thoughts/conclusions.
Last edited by wesleyb82 on Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By wesleyb82
taz11 wrote:EXCELLENT! STICKY! :D

Wow thank you I'm honored. I have learned so much from the guys here and it feels good to give back a little bit.
By taz11
Looks like you spent some time on these and they answer alot of the questions that are commonly asked.

2 cents on the BaneBots motor spacers... If you use Lexan instead of plexi, the cracking issue should go away. The nylon washers sound like a durable alternative also.
Last edited by taz11 on Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By GR40LSC
Maybe, I missed it in the videos, but I would love to have a speed comparison or close estimate.

Example- Stock mustang 4.5mph
Stock Mustang 24v esc x.xmph
24v ESC Mustang banebots x.xmph

Thanks!
By wesleyb82
This is a great question but unfortunately since I literally have a closet full of parts we do not have anything remotely stock so although I plan to show a stock vs 24v ESC video comparison I do not have that at this time. Until then maybe someone else out there with both could answer this question or even better post a video comparison. I havn't clocked any of our rides but generally speaking you are roughly doubling your speed with 24v ESC. But, a couple things to note is the controller does not allow for 100% of the power to pass through and the Banebots have a slightly lower RPM per volt compared to stock or other 500 series motors. So although you gain torque (with Banebots), reliability and overall versatility (with ESC) you slightly loose a little top end. Another thing to consider is changing the gearbox tooth count and even tire size (if that's even a possibility based on your body style) to make up a little speed. In the end though there is a huge gain in speed (amongst many other things, like control) so I would take this with a grain of salt.
By taz11
This may be a bit off topic but it seems to fit with some of the questions. The BaneBots motors have some serious torque but they also draw some serious amps. An ESC limits the amp draw and puts the Kabosh on some of that torque. It seems that, to get the full potential out of them, an esc bypass button it the ticket. The esc gets you up to speed without shredding the gearboxes and the button bypasses the esc for short periods of time when the torque is really needed. The bypass button is still in the works. I'm not sure if anyone has completed one yet. In theory it uses a DPDT relay to wire the motors directly to the batteries, bypassing the limits of the esc.
By Deek
This might just be a stupid question, I have tried to find an informative topic on it with no luck I could see..

I am looking into a ESC setup for both my kids ride on's as I noticed they are not to keen with the jolting tarts and stops. (seems to kill their fun and makes my youngest get a scared crapless look on his face)

Q: Has anyone successfully did a 4wd esc upgrade or is it even possible? I have a fair understanding of how the setup works and have read into a few of the topics.

I jut thought since it was not a question that was posted on the Q&A section on the 1st post. maybe no one had ever asked about it & or never posted their luck with trying it.. Any feed back would be great
By toycrusher
http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/foru ... IC_ID=2485

Enjoy!

Swhenrick may have been the first to ever install an ESC in a Powerwheels, and his method of doing so was pretty ingenious. ;)
By Sven37
4WD...... Don't tempt me. It might be a little un-American, but a 4WD Mustang would be good in the dirt!

Seriosuly though, great thread and vids Wesley, keep it up!
By Deek
Thanks Toy that was pretty good info, Atleast for the part that I know it can be done now. I haven't decided what I will be attempting this on.. Might be a second Grave digger.. Or if I can find any Jeeps. But knowing it can be done now makes me a very happy person... When I was young power wheels were just starting to come out. hopefully my kids can enjoy them even more than I did since it they have technology on their side
By wesleyb82
Heynow I'm glad Crusher chimed in because since I have never experimented with this I was going to refer you to him and suggest using 2 controllers like he did in his recent Super Power project: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=16771

+ glad the info is helpful that's awesome
By tbird2340
What type of wire connectors does everyone use and where do you get them? I've gotten some cheap ones off eBay and have had issues with them not crimping properly, etc..
By wesleyb82
Most cheap terminals are tin. What type of terminals are you looking for?
By toycrusher
Just thought I'd chime in.
Dual parallel controllers was a horrible idea. The more sensetive controller does all the work stressing that gearbox excessively. Makes it essentially 1wd on takeoff at times
Burning up Banebot 775 Motors

I managed to smoke one of my Banebots in the Hurri[…]

First gen Bigfoot project

Set screw collars from hardware store to hold whee[…]

Thanks. Was more curious on fair asking price, no[…]

Nice!! Bonus points for the custom badges!

HobbyMasters Udemy Course