KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Electronic Scooter Controllers have become a popular addition to our vehicles. Ask specific questions about ESCs here!

***WARNING*** this section is for ADVANCED MODDERS. if you try anything in this section you NEED to expect minor issues with the build up to and including complete FAILURE of EVERYTHING in your freshly built BPRO.

Have fun ;-) :-)
By JSIL1
Hopefully a simple question.

Would I be able to use one of these to allow me to control top speed (governor) and to show me the voltage that it is set to?

IE: Channel A - Input from the pedal and output to ESC. Channel B - Input from Battery and output to Volt meter

EDIT: I am hoping that I am wrong, however, after doing some more reading, I don't think the potentiometer ever sees the full voltage. Is there a way to have a constant output to a volt meter showing the upper limit of the governor?
By seattleguy
Also, in case this isn't clear, the pot would be installed on the throttle signal to your ESC, not directly to the motors. The hall-effect throttle outputs between 0-5V I believe; 5V representing full power to the motors. The pot would only need to manage the voltage between 0 and 5, not 0 and 24 or whatever voltage your motors will be running at.
By JSIL1
seattleguy wrote:Also, in case this isn't clear, the pot would be installed on the throttle signal to your ESC, not directly to the motors. The hall-effect throttle outputs between 0-5V I believe; 5V representing full power to the motors. The pot would only need to manage the voltage between 0 and 5, not 0 and 24 or whatever voltage your motors will be running at.

You are correct, that is where it is installed, and why I edited my original post.

I suppose I could remove the potentiometer from the throttle and place this inline from the battery. Obviously, I would need something that could handle the higher amps.

Probably in this fashion: Positive --- Voltage Regulator -- Digital Volt Meter --- ESC input
By Rob222
Sorry but I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish. Why do you need a high-current 0-30v voltage regulator if you have an ESC (I'm guessing a 24v ESC) ? The throttle signal input to the ECS is a 0-5 volt reference signal from the Hall effect pedal at a very low current. The ESC translates the 0-5v reference signal (low current) into a 0-24v output (at high current) to the motors. Why not just wire a "speed limiting" 2k ohm pot into the throttle signal as suggested. Then measure the max voltage to the motors at a few positions on the pot (with the pedal pressed to max speed) and mark the pot with a few ticks marks indicating motor voltage. I apologize if I'm missing something.
By Sedzy
Rob222 wrote:Sorry but I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish. Why do you need a high-current 0-30v voltage regulator if you have an ESC (I'm guessing a 24v ESC) ? The throttle signal input to the ECS is a 0-5 volt reference signal from the Hall effect pedal at a very low current. The ESC translates the 0-5v reference signal (low current) into a 0-24v output (at high current) to the motors. Why not just wire a "speed limiting" 2k ohm pot into the throttle signal as suggested. Then measure the max voltage to the motors at a few positions on the pot (with the pedal pressed to max speed) and mark the pot with a few ticks marks indicating motor voltage. I apologize if I'm missing something.

Yep, this is the way to do it.

From what I'm understanding, JSIL1 you are trying to directly limit the motors. You can't do that if your using a PWM Controller/ESC. You need to limit the Control voltage to the controller, which in turn proportionally regulates the output speed.
Pines

K i will research and see a value thx

I guess photobucket has changed a lot since i last[…]

The pinion gear you linked to is for 5-series moto[…]

No. You have a direct short somewhere. Maybe bad […]

HobbyMasters